Newbie Questions

Joaorv

Hi, i just bent for the first time this past saturday, i got the Ironmind white and green not too dificult but the yellow i only managed a tiny kink and then it wouldn't budge. I'm hooked it's such a rush feeling the steel bend!

Question 1: Is it normal to feel strain in the rear delt/ rotator cuff? more than anywhere else that's the area i had to warmup good because when doing the first bend thats where i felt a lot fo strain even some pain, after i warmed up it was fine. i use a double ovrehand and I guess i was bending arround lower chest to upper ab area.

Question 2: Does bending interfere with other strenght training? I plan on bending on wednesdays i got squats on tuedays and heavy benchign on thursdays. I deadlift on Saturady and speed bench os mondays.

I plan on doing other grip work like rolling thumder, leverages, wrist rollers etc, on saturday and monday and on wednesday I would do grippers, bending and extensor work

How does that sound?

Strain, yes, pain, no. If you're feeling shoulder pain, watch out. The shoudler ultimatly needs to be strong, and with out it you can cause some un-natural strain to the shoulder.

Stick with Green nails, or get some similar sized square-stock from home-depot, or even Timber Ties. Stick with high volume and perfect form, and never train through pain. When I start behind-the-back bends, I can get some shoulder pain, but it goes away in a few week after my body adapts to the force. Just know the difference between a good work out, and a good injury.

Your bending zone of lower pec, upper abs is fine. Right on.

Bending shoudln't interfere with strength training, unless big-bench-day is the day before bending. I've noticed bad chest pain from that. Generally, a lot of people find bending immediatly after lifting to be the perfect time, as all the joints and muscles are warmed up. It seems that chest, and leg days work well for geting a great pre-bending warm up.

The lifting plan is as good as any, the only key is consitancy, of course. Try throwing bending in on the lifting days and see how the shoudler responds.

Thx for the replies Bender, I got some rotator cuff problems, so as long as it is normal to feel some strain there i'll just be extra carfull to warmup coreectly from now on, i just basicaly took a white out of the bag and just tried to bend it... like a kid at xmas hehe.

Had a great bending day, no pain in the rotator cuffs while bending, did a good simple warmup, my time for the whites varied between 6 and 10 seconds and the greens between 11 and 18 sseconds. Right wrist too painfull to do levrages towards the inside so didn't do it (injury not 100% healed).

Made a visible kink in the yellow nail, gona get that sucker soon. I'm gona keep using the same one untill it bends fully.

Have to bring back the grippers from my gym locker only gona use them at home on this day after the beding.

If anyone has comments or sujestions go ahead :)

Warm-up:

Streaching and rotations

Rotator cuff in/out then parallel up: 20x15

Pushups (fists, CG):

5x; 5x

Bending spring rod:

10xWrist leverages front-outside-inside (right wrist no inside)

Several bends

Ironmind nail bending:

5xwhite

5xgreen

several attenps with yellow managed a visible kink, maybe just under 10 degrees bent

Ironmind extensior bands:

3 sets 15xwhite

3 sets 15xgreen

2 sets 10xyellow

secondnailbend8do.th.jpg

Hi, i just bent for the first time this past saturday, i got the Ironmind white and green not too dificult but the yellow i only managed a tiny kink and then it wouldn't budge. I'm hooked it's such a rush feeling the steel bend!

Question 1: Is it normal to feel strain in the rear delt/ rotator cuff? more than anywhere else that's the area i had to warmup good because when doing the first bend thats where i felt a lot fo strain even some pain, after i warmed up it was fine. i use a double ovrehand and I guess i was bending arround lower chest to upper ab area.

I feel strain in the shoulders but warming up is critical. When you are exploding into a nail with full force you run the risk of injury, remember to warm up .

Question 2: Does bending interfere with other strenght training? I plan on bending on wednesdays i got squats on tuedays and heavy benchign on thursdays. I deadlift on Saturady and speed bench os mondays.

Because bending is going to tap into the arm chain you may want to see how your body reacts and then make the judgement. There are a lot of people who can do it all, but they have established a wide base for training in these disciplines. Slow and steady will win this race my friend.

I plan on doing other grip work like rolling thumder, leverages, wrist rollers etc, on saturday and monday and on wednesday I would do grippers, bending and extensor work

How does that sound?

Thx for the reply smp76, yep second workout I warmed up and had no pain, next day my rear cuff/ delt was a bit sore but healthy sore, i had a very good bench workout so i don't think it takes anything away from the next day benching, it's looking good :)

I ripped my first (and second) phone Book. It's a tiny one since this is a small city, but it has a plastified cover wich makes it harder, i got a picture of the first one wich i ripped sunday from the binding side and i got a movie of the second one wich i ripped today, monday, from all diections into four pieces.

phonebook08mm9ce.th.jpg

http://rapidshare.de/files/17623925/phonebook.WMV

It is lots of fun :) I think i could rip a thicker one, specialy if it had a normal cover, not a plastified one.

Edited by Joaorv