Apollon's Axle/Olympic Bar Deadlift

bencrush

I'd be interested to know what kind of ratio between Apollon's Axle and Olympic bar deadlift everyone else on the board has.  Mine is almost exactly 90%, that is my Apollon's Axle alternate-grip, or mixed-grip deadlift is 90% of the similar grip on the "standard" Olympic bar deadlift.  I'd like to know if it's average, or not.  And for that matter, what about 2" bar clean and jerk?  2" bar power snatch is about the only exercise that I can't get 90% or more on.

I keep reading that after training with thick bars for a while, someone will be 5-8% stronger when going back to a regular bar.

Two years ago I was much lighter (53 pounds) and yet was working ALL exercises with my Apollon's Axle.  I refused to do any exercise at all if it couldn't be done with the thick bar.  Well, needless to say, my build was a bit off, but the hand strength was very high.  At the time I could clean and jerk 100% of the poundage that I could on the "standard" Olympic barbell clean and jerk.  On any exercise that I did at the time, I could do at least 95%, and most of the time 100%, of the poundage that I used on the standard bar.  

I eventually decided that only using a thick bar was maybe a bit excessive, and only then did I begin to gain weight, and quickly, but I definitely miss the holding strength I had back then (it was higher than it is now for bodyweight).

I've found out that on my thick bar, I haffta go as heavy as I possibly can to get the benefit of using my grip.  My grip is getting stronger with each and every workout.  My DL's are improving, and my overhead pressing strength is better with the thick bar.  If you don't use a thick bar now, I highly recommend that you do!  :)