Michigan Grip Invitational

Bob Lipinski

Tentative Date- July 29, at Larkin's gym.

No frills, no prizes. BYOB. Kick ass and break records.

Events:

1. MM set grippers

2. Euro plate pinch

3. V bar

4. Hammer lever

5. Axle double overhand deadlift

Both hands will be contested. If enough people show, small and large hand divisions will be seperated, 7.75 and under.

Giving my pocketbook and our sponsors a break from anything fancy. The competition though will be very serious. I imagine Dave Thorton and Ryan Klien will be going head to head.

I am thinking a 380-390 vbar and 405+ axle will go here. Maybe a 21-22 pound hammer. And, if Dave Thorton is sleeping with the Euro pinch device (as I suspect he is), maybe we can get something nifty up there.

Also, if there is enough interest, I will hold a single event bending challenge.

Bob - provide some long, fairly light bending stock - a kind of "make your own trophy" kind of thing.

Looks like a good competition Bob.

Will you be using a LGC vbar as Dave has one now (or it is on its way to him)? Hopefully you will both use a LGC vbar as well as contesting both hands in full. If you do I would say that Dave has a very good chance at beating a WR, especially the total record.

You should also be able to use the Euro calibration for grippers if you wish as I will send you grippers so you can initiate a calibration program.

Yeah Mikael, if Dave has the LGC bar, we will be using that. I believe it is on the way to him. Yep, we will have both hands contested in full.

If I can get a good hold on the gripper calibration, I will be using that too.

I can bring some long and light stock!

... and no need to be built like Andre the Giant to win this one... :inno

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Mikael-

I will rent a scale for this one, assuming the price is reasonable.

Just another source possibly of finding a certified scale is your local high school. My school has one for wrestling - I had no clue it existed and never dreamed it would be certified but there it was - it has the sticker and date right on it. It might be worth checking. The coach said it was a $900 scale and was certified each year. Might be worth checking on. Borrow that for a couple hours and weigh and mark all your plates and you're good to go.

Just another source possibly of finding a certified scale is your local high school. My school has one for wrestling - I had no clue it existed and never dreamed it would be certified but there it was - it has the sticker and date right on it. It might be worth checking. The coach said it was a $900 scale and was certified each year. Might be worth checking on. Borrow that for a couple hours and weigh and mark all your plates and you're good to go.

Geezer knows everything :rock Although, I guess when you are an ancient one...you should know a lot :tongue:tongue:tongue

Thanks Chris, I actually know a powerlifting coach that is local to Three Rivers.

Geezer knows everything :rock Although, I guess when you are an ancient one...you should know a lot :tongue:tongue:tongue

Now if I could only remember it :inno

I'll be there. Looks like a good Contest. There should be some excellent numbers on the last four events.

Thanks Chris, I actually know a powerlifting coach that is local to Three Rivers.

Hold on guys. Before you go ahead with high school scales you must realise that they might not have the required resolution. You need to know the resolution basically.

You may use around ten plates in total in a WR vbar lift. A resolution of half a pound for example would be totally inadequate for WR purposes. A 175k calibrated weight would then weigh between 172.73-177.27k.

A resolution of 1/10 lbs would give an interval of 174.55-175.45 which is the minimum resolution that can be accepted I would say. Basically make sure that the resolution is at least 1/10 lbs. This information may not be attached to the scale.

At the Oz Championship, a calibrated 175k weight would have been in the 174.95-175.05 range to give an example.

Mikael - the ones I used measured pounds, oz and tenths of oz. It will be hard to find commercial scales of greater resolution outside of a scientific type setting here I think.

Example is 9 pound - 15.9 oz.

Many certified scales here go pound and oz - which is 1/16th of a pound. I assume this is satisfactory?

I apologise - I called the coach about the scales and he says they work as follows.

From 0 to 10# they measure in pound-oz-1/10 oz

From 10# on up - they weigh in pound and oz - no tenths.

He says they also weigh in kilos but he has never used them on that setting so doesn't know how they read. Again my apologies. I'll check them out and let you know but if Mikael says that 1/16th of a pound is acceptable - it would still be worth asking about them at your school I think.

I apologise - I called the coach about the scales and he says they work as follows.

From 0 to 10# they measure in pound-oz-1/10 oz

From 10# on up - they weigh in pound and oz - no tenths.

He says they also weigh in kilos but he has never used them on that setting so doesn't know how they read. Again my apologies. I'll check them out and let you know but if Mikael says that 1/16th of a pound is acceptable - it would still be worth asking about them at your school I think.

1/16 of a pound is acceptable if that is the certified resolution. The certified resolution and the nominal resolution may not be the same. The certified resolution can never be greater than the nominal resolution whereas the nominal resolution can be greater than the certified resolution. Confusing?

Would be easy to give the certifying company a call and ask them what the certification stamp guarantees. It would be best of course if it guarantees that the maximum certified resolution is the same as the maximum nominal resolution; in other words that 20 lbs and 7oz on the scale indicates a weight in the 20lbs 6oz - 20lbs 8oz interval.

The maximum resolution may also be given as a percentage figure.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Well Mikael - I had to read that a couple of times but I've got it now :blink - what I plan to do is check at the Post Office how thiers are certified - as this will probably be more widely available to everyone than this one set of scales I found here. I know the scales there weigh in oz and I know they are certified twice a year (I worked there over 30 years) but I don't know about the nominal - certified yet. I will try and find out as here at least - just about every town in the country has a Post Ofice people could use to weigh plates etc.

• 3 weeks later...

More news-

There will be at least one Euro calibrated gripper available. Maybe 3.

• 4 weeks later...

An update- Dale Harder's scoring system will most likely be used.

An official entry should be out within a week, but the July 29 date is still good.

Basically, it is scored as compared to the current "world record":

Hammer: Here's the pounds and their point scores: 6# 172 pt, 8# 263 pt, 10# 354 pt, 12# 445 pt, 14# 536 pt, 16# 627 pt, 18# 718 pt, 20# 809 pt, 22# 900 pt.

Grippers: Parallel set.

HG150, 84, HG200, 176, HG250, 275, Hard#2, 340, NarrowSM, 403, NarrowGM, 476, HG300, 507, #3, 528, Hard#3, 547, PDA190 566, Elite: 585, Hard Elite: 624, RB300 ,675, #4, 720.

Vertical

Using pounds total for both hands let 750 lb = 900 pt; 675 l b = 800 pt; 600 lb = 700 pt; 525 lb = 600 pt; 450 lb = 500 pt; 375 lb = 400 pt; 300 lb = 300 pt; 225 lb = 200 pt; and 150 lb = 100 pt. You can see that every 75 lb lifted over the 150 lb mark= 100 points. Jim Wylie's 700 lb total (317.6 x 2.2046= 700.18 lb rounded down to the last pound is 700 lb). Jim gets 833 points.

Pinch:

Point ratings would be

260 lb = 900 pt; 234 lb = 800 pt, and so on down to 52 lb = 100 points. Therefore David's 236.3 pinch = 808 points.

2" overhand dead lift--no hook grip allowed: 100 pt 140 lb, 200 pt

185 lb, 300 pt. 230 lb, 400 pt. 275 lb, 500 pt. 320 lb, 600 pt. 365 lb,

700 pt. 410 lb, 800 pt. 455 lb, 900 pt. 500 lb, 1000 pt. 545 lb.

Hold on guys. Before you go ahead with high school scales you must realise that they might not have the required resolution. You need to know the resolution basically.

You may use around ten plates in total in a WR vbar lift. A resolution of half a pound for example would be totally inadequate for WR purposes. A 175k calibrated weight would then weigh between 172.73-177.27k.

A resolution of 1/10 lbs would give an interval of 174.55-175.45 which is the minimum resolution that can be accepted I would say. Basically make sure that the resolution is at least 1/10 lbs. This information may not be attached to the scale.

At the Oz Championship, a calibrated 175k weight would have been in the 174.95-175.05 range to give an example. :cool

Mikael, Before I make a correction to your figures let me preface it by saying that it's only done for the sake of clarity. I appreciate the contributions to the grip world that you're making by preparing your performer's lists for example, so please take the following in the spirit that it's offered:

Case #1--resolution to a half pound. Given that the SI equivalent used in America and most of the civilized world is that the kg = 2.2046 lb, so if we're talking about resolutions to 1/2 lb please consider .5/2.2046 (the slash between .5 and 2.2046 implies division and hence .5/2.2046 = .23 kg (rounded off to 100th place) so a 175 kg accurate weight should weigh 175 kg plus or minus .23 kg (on a scale with a precision of 1/2 lb),which means a 175 kg weight should be between 174.77 kg and 175.23 kg (or if you wish to think of it in lb then think of 175kg x 2.2046 = 385.81 lb (again rounded to the nearest 100th), so the associated readings on a lb scale (marked in increments of .5 lb would be somewhere between 385.5 lb and 386 lb. (Assuming both a certified scale and certified weights). Bottom line is that a scale weighing 175 kg in increments of .5 lb is really much more precise--than the much less accurate figures that you've quoted. Case #2--resolution to .1 lb (or 1/10 lb which is the same thing) means .1/2.2046 or .045kg variation --

hence a 175 kg weight (technically a mass piece but let's not go there) should be 175 plus or minus .045 kg making it 174.955 to 175.045 kg--which is far more precise (accurate) than the figures that you've indicated. Aside: I'd like to also suggest a Tanita scale for this purpose. One can google on the Net until one finds the best price, or if you wish, you may email me I'll look up the source that I got mine from. I paid less than $400 (however that's FOB in the USA) and it's precision is plus or minus .1 kg or .2 lb (even though the markings are to the nearest .1 lb--I've checked the scale and have found that it weighs to the nearest .2 lb regardless of its markings but no mis-leading was intended by the mfr. BTW .2 lb is so close to .1 kg that the difference is negligible. I hope this sets the record straight. Again, Michael thanks for your work in keeping VBar lists, etc. All the best, Dale