First day with my Rolling Thunder

Guest mikebyoung

Guest mikebyoung

Picked up a Rolling Thunder yesterday. My first session with it I managed to lift 170lbs+handle&pin.

I checked Tom Black's site and he lists a World Class RT lift at 200lbs. Seems I am kind of close for a complete beginner.

Do you guys think 200 is an accurate estimate for World Class status?

Is 170 farther away from 200 than I think?

Could I be cheating at this lift somehow?

Any opinions/insights would be much appreciated. I have almost no experience with any kind of lifting. I'd like to know where I stand.

Thanks kindly,

Mike

Guest mikebyoung

Oh, also, why is it easier to lift more weight with the RT than an Inch dumbell or replica? Same size handle, correct?

Anything to do with starting with the RT handle set up higher?

Details on my above lift:

My body weight is 195.

I used an overhand grip, thumb facing towards me.  

Starting height of the handle was 20" to center.

Lift was right handed.

160 with my left.

I'd say if RT starts rotating, it's easy to stop, but an Inch replica won't want to stop rolling because the weight makes the handle turn.

Mike,

If you're a complete beginner (like you say), then 170 is a FANTASTIC lift for the RT.  Now then.... try bumping up the weight to 200 pounds and more!!  Go for it!!  :)

Mike,

The RT with 150lbs. held for time is an event at the US Grip championship.  Maybe you should register !

Robert

Guest reid73

I hate when I feel week my best on the RT so far with the right hand is about 140lbs ,but my hands are small not even close to touching thumb to finger when I grip the RT

James

Mike,

The thick-handled lifts are probably the hardest to classify into "World Class" levels.  This is simply because hand size makes such a big difference.  Your lift is excellent, regardless of your hand size.  I'm guessing that you are fairly tall, and if your hand is proportionate, then you have an advantage on this lift.

Guest mikebyoung

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I didn't want to get too excited about this lift until I heard back from a few of you.

I'll be training with the RT again tomorrow. I'll let you know how I do. Hopefully Saturday's lift wasn't just a fluke.

Any pointers from someone on how to train with the RT? Should I go for max weight, then back down for holds?

How long is a good hold?

Tom, I am fairly tall, 6'2", but my hands aren't abnormally large, 7.5" long.

Robert, thanks for the compliment, but me thinks I am a ways off from entering the championships. Maybe next year,eh?

Grip-on,

Mike.

ps.   Syber, I am very new at gripping(about 2 months). No weight lifting experience at all.

But, I am a commercial plumber. I have been lifting pipes of this and different diameters for the past 12 years.

Anyone know how much a full length(21') of 2"(2 3/8"OD) black steel pipe weighs?

Mike,

Warm-up on the RT if you can, then go for a max lift!  If you can do 200 pounds or more.... you might want to consider entering the RT World Championship!  Watch out Brad Gillingham!!!  :)  (BTW, he can do 280 pounds on the RT).

Guest mikebyoung

On my second session with the RT I didn't do nearly as well. I tried to really focus on my form but, could only manage to get 155lbs to a locked hips position. I guess I won't be going up against Brad anytime soon!

I read your post on the "sidewinder lift",Snott. Did Gillingham lift from the side or from the front of his body?

I RT lift from the front but, I lift my pinch block and hub from the side.