5"x5/16" Fully Threaded Grade 5

jäpälä

I have this problem of comparing metric bolts to American bolts and I am asking for your advise on it. I have been into bending few weeks now and I am pretty exited about this kind of feats of strength. So to the question at hand: I use the double overhand technique, and my latest PR bend is a 5"x5/16 inch fully threaded grade5 rod. (I use rod because it is cheaper than bolts). I have found a chart to help convert metric bolts info into American bolts:

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-informat...rade-Chart.aspx

As you can see from the chart above that metric 8.8 is equivalent with the grade 5, and the rod I bought is 8.8/grade 5 (from a local supplyer). I cant proof that this rod is grade 5 because these rods dont have the head of an bolt, you just have to take my word for it. Im not even going to try and fool myself of thinking that fully threaded would be as tough as a solid bolt with short threading on it, Im a mechanic so I know that. Below I will put a link for the pictures of the piece of the rod I bent.

http://japala.propelli.cop.fi/gripster/pultti2.JPG

http://japala.propelli.cop.fi/gripster/mauser4.JPG

My primary question is that how does this piece of iron compare to the Ironmind nails in toughness, equivalent or close to what nail? I am new to all this bending stuff and I would greatly appreciate your output on this question.

Thank you in advance! :happy

Edited by jäpälä

I would guess just by the looks of it it is all tread Grade 2, now you say it is greade 5 so I will take your word for it. As far as its equivalent, who knows? My suggestion is to PM Eric Milfeld and get his address and send him a sample to calibrate. Also just compare it to other stock you have bent. My experience has been that all thread is a lot easier than other stock at the same solid diameter. with a all thread you are basically bending a piece of thinner steel with a predesignated weak point.

-Sean

Eric if you read this, I did not mean to give you more to do but you are the only one I know who has a stock calibrating system most trust.

Yes I know that fully threaded is a lot weaker than with no threading, as I think I said on my earlier post. It actually is a Grade 5 (Metric class 8.8) zinc coated. I think that if my hardware salesman would sell me a Grade 2 claiming that it is a Grade 5 it would be unlegal and dangerous if I would use the steel in some contraption and it could blow apart because of too weak bolts on it. Actually where I live, Grade 5 is the minimum in bolt strenght and any weaker bolts are to be ordered especially.

I think I wont bother Eric Milfeld with my question, Im sure he has better things to do then calibrating my bends. I have been bending also some concrete reinforcement steel that is 1/4 inch thick and it is just slightly easier than that rod i bent in the same lenght. Im just a rookie in bending and Im trying to learn stuff and keep whereabouts on my progress, that is why I asked that question, not because I think Im a good bender.

Thank you for your answer.

Bending is a funny thing man. I know you are not trying to say you are a good bender and I understand the questions and the need to stay on top of a good progression list. If it is slightly harder than a 1/4" round stock then I would say it was just all thread. As for grade 5 all thread I did not even know if they made it. As for not bothering Eric about it...this is how we do it here on the board. We help others by being a small community of grip guys. Could not hurt to ask.

-AK Sean

Here in Finland the grip community is a lot smaller than in North America and the group of people who bend stuff is very small, so it is hard to compare other peoples bends to your own bends. The threaded rod I bent is very common in Finland, it is sold in different lenghts, for example 1 meter and 2 meter peaces and that is why its a lot cheaper than bolts.

I appreciate your advices on this subject and I will bend something that is more common in there also that I can compare it to the stock you have. I didnt also know that this kind of rod is not manufactured there and that is what got me confused. :whacked

Ill ask another question that is maybe more universal: What kind of bolts are equivalent with the RedNail or the Bluenail so Ive got something to aim for?

Read this article and there is a progression chart at the end:

Morton and Amidon Article

-AK Sean

That article pretty much answers all my questions for now. Thank you for enlighting me on this topic. :happy

Great article, must read for a beginner! :rock