Bicep Strength

powerac

hi

i was wondering if anyone could give me some information about training your biceps to increase strength. my biceps are relatively weak compared to my triceps(and the rest of my body). i like armwrestling and if there is one muscle group that needs improvement its my biceps. i cant even barbell curl 60kgs even though i can bench 125kgs for 2 reps quite easily. my triceps, chest, shoulder and forearm strength is quite good but my the biceps are lagging behind big time. i have tried experimenting on my own to try and find the right range of reps and sets but to no avail. whenver i have looked up articles on the net for bicep strength i always sumble across a training article that is essentially for gaining size and definition. can someone give me some good advice on how to increase your curling strength without increasing their size. what is the ideal number of reps and sets? how often should you train them per week? what would be the ideal exercises for this also?

any information provided will be really appreciated

powerac

If you are looking for strength, do 5 reps or less per set with heavy weight in the barbell curl. Really a barbell curl is all you need to train your biceps, but it good to do reverse curls as well to work your forearms and get good back pressure.

Edited by Wes

I find something that works well for armwrestling is Partial preacher hammer curls....go as heavy as you can and take a DB to the preacher and keep your thumb on the same side as your fingers instead of wrapping your thumb around the bar......if you have trouble holding onto the DB this way let the head rest against your hand...then start at the top of the motion and go down to almost parallel with the floor....you may want to goto parallel if you can but if not just slightly above and remember to go as heavy as you can but stick to 4 to 6 reps

Bent over barbell rows, and pull-ups(weighted if you can). Not only does it work your biceps but it works your back which also carrys over to armwrestling. I always go heavy on rows, I find my 7 rep max and do 3-5 sets of 5 reps with it. On pull-ups I do the same thing, other then I find my 10 rep max and do 5 sets of 7reps. It seems to me when you get good at curls you only get better at doing curls, I really dont have any carry over to anything else other then curls. With rows, and pull-ups on the other hand, the stronger I get with those, the stronger I become overall.

I do this once a week but you could easily do it twice a week. What works for me might not work for you, so take this with a grain of salt. Dont be afraid to try different things either. Hope this helps.

Search for Charles Poliquin's arm strength tips, I'd search for you but I'm running off the same info you are: Charles Poliquin and Arm strength routine.

Just do BB curls heavy low reps and armwrestle alot.You bicep strength will go up in a couple months trust me.

I arm wrestled alot when I was young, with my friends nothing serious, and Im wondering how much does bicep strength comes into play during a match.

I always did kinda like a wrist curl when armwrestling.

It all depends on you and your style.I find my whole arm is sore after practice including my shoulder and upper pec.I lift all kinds of ways and all kinds of reps.I keep nothing to routine.Keep pulling and you will get stronger.

thanks for the replies guys. appreciate all the info and i'l see if could make a few adjustments to my training and start a new cycle on my biceps training.

i'l think iv heard of the arm routine by Charles Poliquin.i'l check it out and see what comes out of it.i liked the idea of doing partial preachers curls.will give them a try (both hammer and normal curls) and see how it feels. am more easily motivated actually when i know the range of movement is smaller. at the end of the day anything that has a carryover to armwrestling.

thanks guys

Partials are good i incorporate both into my routines often.For instance ill do partial hammer curls on a preacher.Then ill do EZ bar preacher curls then do partials when i know i cant do anymore reps full range.Also i add a little twist to my preacher curls at the top of the movement ill do a kind of wrist curl.Talk about a pump just be carefull not to over extend the wrist it will hurt...lol

In armwrestling static lockout takes precident over dynamic strength, most especially where the biceps are concerned. Hand and wrist control are vastly more important than the ability to curl large amounts of weight. Dynamic strength is best utilized in order to perform a technique, however, very rarely will any technique involve you contracting your biceps so that your lower/upper arm angle decreases. Remember that the arm is a lever with the elbow as a fulcrum. Controling the distal end of the lever, which means the hand, is where focus should be paid. Even in a dragging hook you are depending more on your wrist orientation than your bicep (Well, you should be as that's what wins you the match - Remember that not everyone pulls the same or develops their strength the same, but the principals of why techniques work is relatively universal regardless of physiological differences). A solid sidepressure hook is established with the tricep, not the bicep.

• 1 month later...

Can't beat weighted supinated chins! The muscle just generates more tension and is worked more thoroughly by the compound movement. Holds at half-chin and partials would be good too. Start there and then add curls if you want. Low sets and reps under 5 for strength without mass.

I just add some Reverse curls. And some hammer supination with elbow resing on a bench at shoulder level (to maximize ROM, and hit the "other" function of the biceps)--not sure what carrover this would have to the table though--maybe help some with backpressure? (or tearing some cards before the match to intimidate your opponent! :tongue ).

• 2 years later...