Wedding Bands, Injured Hands

Hubgeezer

Does anyone train with their wedding band, or other ring, on their fingers? I don't have a choice, as my ring has not come off since 1992, due to weight gain. In 2004 and 2005, I dropped a bunch of weight, but the band still did not come off, as my fingers were now thicker from doing grip work.

I did more than I should have on a Vertical Bar workout two weeks ago, and injured my ring finger with the band on it. I think the ring caused the injury. It got swollen, hurt, I gave it a 4 day rest, and then 5 minutes into working out, the pain came back. It is a deep pain in the bone of the bottom portion of the finger. Probably a bad bruise, not a break.

I suspect that if I went to a Doctor, they would take one look at it and tell me to cut the band off. If you have ever been married, that is not a good idea.

I am amused by this, and my current solution is to keep working out, not do any V-Bar, and to try to lose more fat to relieve the pressure. Stopping Grip or cutting the band, right now, is not something I wish to pursue.

I am curious if anyone trains with rings on, or if they have ever had a ring cause a finger injury.

Hubgeezer

My advice would be simply to go to the jeweler and get it cut off, resized, and put it back on properly fitted, you can't even see it when they are done. It doesn't take them long at all to resize it and losing a finger will definitely not help anything.

Yeah, a good jeweler, will know what to do. They can probably get it off you and resize it while you wait. Even if they have to cut it off, they should be able to fix it so that you can't even tell.

Seriously, its ok to have your ring resized, but if your finger turns green and falls off, that will totally void your wedding vows. ;)

Edited by AP

Yep, that's what I would say. First things first. It's not a very good idea to keep rings on while training anyways. It's risky. I happen to know one guy who twisted his finger pretty bad while training. His finger got stuck somehow while handling weightplates, all because of that ring. I wouldn't wear ANY jewelry while training.

Having seen someone get a ring crushed - badly damaging their finger - whilst moving beer barrels I've been wary of wearing rings during any form of training.

I have a wedding ring (somewhere) but haven't had it on for years . . . (I'm still happily married) . . . as I was daily taking it off and putting it on.

I'd second the advice given earlier - get it cut then re-sized so you can take it off whenever you need to.

Edited by b19vny

Mike, the advice to get it cut and resized by a competent jeweler is very good. B&G Jewelers in Carmel, while out of the way, is very good.

Edited by ClayEdgin

Bite it off. Its just gold, its soft. My Grandpa lost his finger when a nail on a back of truck hooked it and drug him down the road he stopped getting drug when the finger came off. I stopped wearing mine when I was pushing my niece on a swing and ring hooked a bolt. That was about 10 yrs. ago. Wife don't mind.

I used to take my wedding ring off when I trained, that is until I misplaced it and didn't find it for 3 weeks. Now it stays at home in a jewelry box until she makes me wear it on special occasions. She's not particularly happy about where the ring now spends most of it's time, but I wouldn't be at all happy if I lost it, did damage to it, or to my finger.

If you soak your hands in ice water, and grease the finger up, you might be able to get the ring off. It'd be a lot easier for the jewler to just stretch it...

Edited by Dan Cenidoza

getting the ring cut off and resized is about the best option out there. You could always go with a tatto on your ring finger instead of a wedding ring. I was in a tatto parlor with a buddy and watched a construction worker have it done to keep his wife happy.

My fiancee wants me to get a ring tattoo. I've made it clear I have no intention of wearing a wedding ring. I hate having things on my fingers.

My fiancee wants me to get a ring tattoo. I've made it clear I have no intention of wearing a wedding ring. I hate having things on my fingers.

Word of Caution: tatoo's can last MUCH longer than marriages :tongue How about putting the ring on a necklace and wearing it like that?

I took mine off while training/competing for a little while, but I've worn it the last 4 years or so while training. Thankfully I've never had a hint of trouble.

Does anyone train with their wedding band, or other ring, on their fingers? I don't have a choice, as my ring has not come off since 1992, due to weight gain. In 2004 and 2005, I dropped a bunch of weight, but the band still did not come off, as my fingers were now thicker from doing grip work.

I did more than I should have on a Vertical Bar workout two weeks ago, and injured my ring finger with the band on it. I think the ring caused the injury. It got swollen, hurt, I gave it a 4 day rest, and then 5 minutes into working out, the pain came back. It is a deep pain in the bone of the bottom portion of the finger. Probably a bad bruise, not a break.

I suspect that if I went to a Doctor, they would take one look at it and tell me to cut the band off. If you have ever been married, that is not a good idea.

I am amused by this, and my current solution is to keep working out, not do any V-Bar, and to try to lose more fat to relieve the pressure. Stopping Grip or cutting the band, right now, is not something I wish to pursue.

I am curious if anyone trains with rings on, or if they have ever had a ring cause a finger injury.

Hubgeezer

this works on all rings that are stuck try it and that ring will come off start at the finger tip and wrap heavy sewing thread tight around your finger keep wrapping towards the ring tightly when you get to the ring slide the thred under the ring and start unwinding the ring will follow the thread off because your finger is compressed good luck

I have always (well I've only been married 2 1/2 years) had to take my ring off frequntly. My wife understands.

I suspect if you try to be sneaky and have a jewller do it, she will notice and you will be in trouble. Talk to your wife. If she sees your messed up finger, she will understand. Then you can go to the jeweller and get it resized or you and your wife can pick out new rings and you can turn it into a romantic thing. From the doghouse to the penthouse as they say.

I used to lift with the ring on... that lasted about a month. Lucily the Shane company has life-time free polishing. After that, I take it off for any physical activity. It even feels funny to have it on when I run.

Random Story: In high school, the only kid who could dunk on the basketball team got a ring of his snagged on the loops that hold the net to the rim. He had to hang there, and then stand on some ones shoulders until they got a ladder to un-wrench his ring from that loop. Note: only play baseketball with your ring(s) on if you can't dunk.

Because of my grip training, I can wear my original wedding band on my pinky. And I've since outgrown the replacement band, and so now I don't even wear one.

Just get the ring resized. I hope that you get better soon Mike.

if anyone has ever done any mechanic work on their car maybe they can understand this one...I know a guy that was a mechanic that wore a wedding band everyday...one day he is going to replace a battery (simple job) he puts the wrench on the the positive side first (big no no) and when he reaches down his ring touches the cars frame rail and the wrench at the same time becoming an instant ground strap...the gold became instantly red hot AROUND his finger...his first reaction was to pull up and get his hand away from the frame...but the ring had almost welded itself to the frame and when he jerked against it, it just pulled all the skin around his finger off from the base where the ring sits...it was aweful...now I dont wear my ring anymore simply for mechanic reasons and grip reasons....my wife understands but some wifes Im sure wouldnt understand!

Thanks for the responses guys.

Here is what I noticed:

1. Most of you never train while wearing a wedding band.

2. Most of you would never advise someone to work out while wearing a wedding band.

3. Many of you do not wear wedding bands at all.

4. Some of you gave great advice.

5. A few of you are real nutballs.

The pain on my finger is on the underside of my ring finger. Much of the swelling went down. I have not stopped working out, and having the band on while grabbing a bar, standard or thick, puts pressure on the finger.

I have been dieting for a week, and I have lost a few pounds. I want to lose a few more pounds, and then make an attempt to remove it by using dental floss as a wrap, much the way Dan Praydis described. I think it will be a week from Sunday when I give it a try. The ring needs to come off, and I think I would have to be skinny to get it off naturally. If the floss doesn't work, I will have the jeweler take it off.

I will have the jeweler resize the thing before it goes back on my finger.

Thanks again.

Hubgeezer

I got the wedding band off last night using a "dental floss" wrap. Wow. It took around 45 minutes, and the last 30 minutes, the color of the finger from the knuckle up was a pretty purple. I wasn't sure I was going to get it, but at that point, it was past the point of no return. It took around 2 hours for the feeling to return to the tip of the finger.

The base of the finger where the band was is still pretty traumatized. Vertical Bar and Wedding Bands are a bad combination.

At least it's off, and the finger can heal.

Hubgeezer

I didn't see anybody else mention concern that wearing your wedding band while training is going to scratch the crap out of it. If you're going to grind steel against gold, even if it was ghetto cheap 10kt (none of you penny pinchers have 10kt rings, do you?), the gold is going to lose. I take mine off so that a) my ring doesn't get all beat and b) I learned the hard way a few years ago that chopping wood while wearing a ring = a great big blister.