Wish me luck.

Adam Black

Just thought I would share the conversation I had at lunch today with you all. I am sure that some of you have found yourself in a similar situation.

I love my training, both grip and otherwise. So naturally it's one of my favorite subjects to discuss. As it was, today at lunch my quest to close the #3 came up. My buddy started scoffing as always. Claiming that I was crazy to believe that I would close it someday. I asked him what his reason was for thinking that it was an unattainable goal for me. He had no answer suffice to say that he knew that I could never do it. It took me the better part of lunch to get him to put his money where his mouth was. I tried to get him to bet a dollar a pound, 280,  that I could close it within a given time period. Of course I could only get him to commit to $100 bet.

So the bet is that I can/can't close the #3 by 2/28/03.

(My personal goal is to close it this year)

Why is it that these people who have no belief in themselves feel the need to get so worked up about those that do? He was very upset that I belive that I will close it someday. Has anyone else run into this blatant lack of self confidence? So much so that they get upset around someone who does have some? It really makes me sad.

Adam,

Do your best. You have ten months, so each

month get 1/10th of the distance you lack. How

close are you now?

Most people would say that you could never do it because they don't think they can do it for whatever reason. It doesn't matter to them that more than 60 have done it before, probably by doing then same stuff you're going to do. Don't let those people worry you at all.  :)

When I was in sixth grade and weighed a measly 80 or so pounds, no one ever thought I would achieve the things I have.

I remember my older sister and her then boyfriend coming down into our basement when I was working out on the old Weider plastic weight set and telling me to "give it up".  I told them one day I would squat and deadlift 600.  They just laughed and picked on me and pushed me around.  I saw that guy a few years back-needless to say, he was intimated big time.

Today-600 is an easy feat.  My family no longer doubts me or my abilities.  No one would put a $1 against me closing the #3.  Or #4 for that matter :D !

I am DETERMINED to do it.

Use it as fuel, and BLAST through any and all bariers-

Good Luck,

Rick Walker :hehe

Adam,sometimes these people are just right out jealous of your accomplishments knowing that they will never come close so they try to belittle you or intimidate you to make you lose confidence in yourself! This guy is a perfect example! Go out and do it,man,I know you will!!

Good luck,

JJ

Adam,

The only person you have to contend with is.... YOURSELF.

Your "friend" (if that's what you want to call him), is jealous of your abilities - otherwise, why the bet?

I knew it was a matter of time for me - time and hard training.  Keep your eyes on the prize.  You'll do it, since 10 months is a long time and anything can happen.  TRAIN HARD!

Do you have a IM #3??  If not, get one.  This will tell you where you stand.  Good Luck.... I am confident you'll do it!!  :)

Guest RobbyTooSlobby

Good Luck Adam.  Listen to some Rocky soundtrack like "Eye of the Tiger."  Take that SOB down!!! BoomSmilie_anim.gifBlasting_anim.gifAR15firing.gif2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Rick Walker

I don't think you will ever close the #4!!!  So prove me wrong!! :D

I am going to proove the world wrong.

In due time my friend....

Thanks for the support guys.

Yes I have the #3. I normally don't play with it too much as I am still working on completely owning the #2. But I decided to warm up a bit last night and give it a whirl to see how much distance I have to go. I didn't use a ruler or anything, but I have about an inch to go.

I have to say that I am pretty excited about that. To date that's the best I've done on it. I attribute my recent gains to doing stap holds. Which I learned about on this board. So ultimately you all have contributed greatly. Thanks!

You'll all be the first to know when I mash that sucker.  :)

Guest DavidHW

I've been stuck at 1/10 of a mm (yes, 10% of a millimeter) on my No. 3 for three straight training sessions. The thickness of a piece of paper. I kid you not. My wife confirms it. But I'll get it soon. Why? Because it mocks me. The #### thing mocks me with that final amount. As Ahab saw the white whale, so I see my No. 3:

"He tasks me; he heaps me; I see in him outrageous strength, with an inscrutable malice sinewing it. That inscrutable thing is chiefly what I hate; and be the white whale agent, or be the white whale principal, I will wreak that hate upon him. Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me."

--from Melville's _Moby Dick_

To approach training (and life) with anything less than this attitude is pointless.

David

David,

Take about three or four days OFF (no grip work at all).  Then try that #3.  Don't be surprised if those handles click true!!

Rick,

Just for fun (and if ya want me to), I'll send you my #4 for some mashing fun.  Just send it back, 'cuz it's going overseas for Mister Horne to crush!!  :)

Guest DavidHW

Sybersnott:

I'm stumped. I just did another workout tonight (I only do grippers once a week). Still separated by paper thickness. I mashed my PDA 363 like butter for several reps *after* five failed attempts on the No. 3. I then rested 30 minutes, made another run at the No. 3, and was just too tired. BUT . . . to make me feel better about my workout, I figured I'd just rep out on my No. 2. I got 46 reps. WTF?

My strapholds with the No. 2 keep getting stronger (30 lbs for 8 seconds a few weeks ago), and my sweep keeps getting faster, but that last little bit on the No. 3 . . . arrggh.

I'm training for deadlift and bench right now, so I'm not as fresh as I might be if I was just doing grip. Yet it shouldn't make that much difference, IMHO.

It'll close. My wife thinks I actually closed it once or twice about a months ago. I think I did too. But it's pointless until I can feel the close and hold it shut for photos.

David

Guest mikebyoung

Adam,

My goal is to shut #3 by summer's end.

People, like your friend, just don't get the point.

I am sure they also don't understand why people climb mountains.

Meet you at the top,

Mike.

p.s.  to David,

Looking forward to seeing you on that COC list shortly!

Warmup up and add an overcrush with the PDA gripper every day (make sure of a rest day before your next workout) from now until your next full workout.  Just one single blast per day.

What's an overcrush? Here's how I define it:

The overcrush is a single where you want to totally crush the metal with so much force you can feel your hand bones.

The overcrush is a single where there is a BIG force spike when they first touch.

The overcrush is a single with pure concentration of hand and muscle.

The overcrush is not a hold. In fact, if you are barely touching the handles, push them back in again for metal on metal.

An overcrush of super high force of 3-4 seconds is better than an overcrush of 7 seconds where the handles are just "together".

Snot-

My #4 is on the way-it should be here early next week :crazy .

I am looking forward to using it.  The way I see it, I am only 24.  I have a LONG time before I peak and before I begin to loose strength.  The #4 is a legitiment long term goal.

Plus-my training has taken off lately :D !  

Guest DavidHW

Wannagrip:

Thanks for the great advice. I'll start tonight. My No. 2 must be the weakest No. 2 on the planet given how many times I can crush it. It only makes sense to use the PDA 363 (which feels about 85-90% as strong as my No. 3) to close the gap. The reason I'd been avoiding the 363 was from some earlier advice (I think from you?) to concentrate on strapholds (which I've been doing) with the No. 2. It's obviously time now to try something new, so overcrushing it is!

BTW, apologies to Adam for distracting this thread with my training woes. :(

David

David,

Forget all those reps on the #2 - no wonder you don't have anything left for the #3; you're outta gas!!  Empty!!   :angry:

Follow Wanna's advice.  And practice your overcrushes with a lighter gripper (not your #2).  Tell us the results.  :)

Guest DavidHW

Syber:

I don't normally do multiple reps on my No. 2, believe me. It was a once-a-month kind of thing, the 46 reps. And it was after the main workout, so I don't think it made a difference.

I did my first overcrush last night per Wannagrip's advice with my PDA 363. Put everything into one forceful close. Felt the grind, and I woke up this morning with a huge blood blister on my right ring finger at the point of contact -- must have done it right! LOL.

One question: Wannagrip said to do it with my PDA 363 and you're suggesting something lighter than my No. 2 . . . can you clarify your reasoning?

David

I would do it every other day after thinking about your frequency.  Make sure you rest one day before your next workout with no single attempt like I described.

Use as heavy a gripper you can where you can overcrush it for 5-7 seconds.

No, I said PRACTICE with a lighter gripper (getting it set in your hand just right, closing it just right; getting the FEEL of it).

A blood blister??  Not good.  Maybe your hand getting used to the pressure, I think.  Do your overcrushes with your PDA to get used to the pressure of the gripper.  Then on to the #3.

Guest DavidHW

Wannagrip:

Whew. Thanks for revising that down to every other day. I just did my second straight night of overcrushes (after the hard workout Friday), and I think my hand is going to fall off. Didn't know how I was going to go five straight days of the things. :)

Syber:

Got it. Practice. Blood blister's no longer a problem -- it blew up from the pressure of tonight's overcrush. Pain good. <g>

David

David,

Pain is GOOD... when you've had a decent, hard, effective workout.  Just be careful, and don't suffer an "injury" (definitely NOT good).

And do some negatives, if you can.  This will get your hand used to extreme pressure of the grippers.  Pressure GOOD!!  :)