Jedd Johnson

Richard Sorin

Bob Lipinski

Arne Persson

Theo Burggraaff

David Hurzeler

Arthur Antonopoulos

Topics discussed:

1. Chairman: from those votes received and those in attendance David Horne was unopposed and unanimously voted as the first chairman.

2. Minute taker: Steve Gardener – as above

3. Record keeper: Mikeal Siversson – as above

4. Voting: For the decisions to be made at future meetings to have any value all members (as listed above and on the Grip Board) are to be encouraged to send in their votes on any decisions open to voting if they are unable to attend meetings. If they are able to attend then a live vote will be taken and proxy votes included. If the topic appears online for open discussion then any member wishing to influence the voting must contact their current rep. It is worth reminding all that any such suggestions are made in a constructive way as to push the sport forward. No one member, committee or otherwise is bigger than the sport. But together we can make it special.

*It is also worth noting that only a few proxy votes from those not in attendance were received to be included. In order to fulfil the meaning of being a rep all are to be encouraged to take part.

5. Name of association: Those in attendance and together with the few that voted by proxy choose, from the two original options the World Hand Strength Association. Wade suggested ‘world’ be changed to ‘international’. This was put to those present and the WHSA (World Hand Strength Association) was passed by a majority vote of 4-1.

6. How can countries, not currently members, join the association? This was put forward by an online Grip Board member (Jose). Although no final decision was arrived at Wade suggested that a starting point needs to be that they ‘need to agree to abide by the WHSA rules. It was also suggested that the competitions might be need to be of a certain agreed level. However, it was decided that this should be an open topic at least until the next meeting. Your input will be appreciated.

7. What events would be under WHSA? As above this is an open topic but several points were raised. One was that those which wish to have their lifts and possible records considered MUST agree to abide by WHSA regs. It was further discussed as to whether they needed to be national, international etc. No decision was settled on at this time. Please discuss.

8. Referees (i): Wade Gillingham raised the point as to how those competitions under the WHSA umbrella would be judged. He further suggested approved referees, both of a national and international level – similar to some powerlifting associations – would be the way forward. It was further suggested that with the current small numbers it would be a case of ‘wherever possible’. Mikeal suggested that no close relative, friend or spouse be allowed to judge any national or international level record lift. I further suggested, with a view to numbers at this time, that we MIGHT consider – only if needed – the video and photographic evidence. But it seems to have been accepted and agreed that the same lifts MUST be done in competition.

9. Referees (ii) – it was also suggested as a topic for future discussion that an agreed standard be made for what qualities are required to referee. Mikael suggested that for national records the ref ought to be a current or former national level record holder and that international level ref’s needed to be international or world record level holder. Further comment include the possibility, again using powerlifting as a model, of there being some kind of refereeing exams/criteria once that criteria has been decided.

10. Referees (iii) – it was asked to which competition refereeing applied. I suggested to all those that wish to be included in any such WHSA records.

11. Old records – this then Wade to ask ‘what about those records set already’. Would they be considered valid. It is possible that all members could agree that those which fulfil the criteria as it is could be included. It is a topic for discussion.

12. The minutes of these meetings – all agreed they should be made public.

13. WHSA forum section. A brief discussion took place in which a few suggestions were out forward as what will be included in any Grip Board WHSA forum section. I will suggest that this will be defined over time by the members and those Grip Board members who wish to compete under the auspices of the WHSA. Discuss.

14. Possible change to numbers of countries reps – as discussed to a small degree on the board it was agreed to have, as a future topic, some variation in the current arrangement. One such suggestion which has the benefit of getting more competing was to allow a number of reps based on the numbers of WHSA members who COMPETE. So if a small country had 10 competitions with good turnouts then they would be entitled to more reps than a larger country with few athletes.

15. Funding – some suggestions were put forward and input from both David Horne and Wade Gillingham was forthcoming. It was suggested that one possible way to go was an e-book. Subjects covered might include but not be limited to a) approved WHSA lifts b) lifting tips c) master classes / articles by the current best of the crop on those lifts and so on. Further ideas included using cafepress.com to produce official WHSA logo’d t-shirts, caps and so on. Also simple paypal made donations.

16. How those funds could then be used (i). As well as furthering the associations, publicity and so on it was also suggested that, as and when applicable members would be donating a proportion of these same funds, via donations and competition fees, towards assisting athletes to compete. Discuss.

17. Funds (ii) as if and when such funds begin to be collected voting will need to take place for the position of treasurer.

Meeting ended with an agreement for a time to be arranged shortly for 2 weeks from now. As per online discussions the timings of the meetings will vary so that those unable to be online at one meeting (due to being asleep) can have the next one during a more appropriate time for the next meeting (as an example the meeting started at 1500 GMT but it was 2300 in Perth for Mikeal.

Mikael suggested that for national records the ref ought to be a current or former national level record holder and that international level ref’s needed to be international or world record level holder.

Did I? Must be a linguistic misunderstanding. A referee can be the weakest of the weak as long as he or she does a good job.

Will questions which encourage input from the Gripboard members at large be put forth in a formal matter, or is it the responsibility of the members to read through the minutes and then post their opinion on any questions raised?

Mikael suggested that for national records the ref ought to be a current or former national level record holder and that international level ref’s needed to be international or world record level holder.

Did I? Must be a linguistic misunderstanding. A referee can be the weakest of the weak as long as he or she does a good job.

Sorry. It was Wade. It sounds like a good idea - for now. We will have a small pool to pick from initially.

Will questions which encourage input from the Gripboard members at large be put forth in a formal matter, or is it the responsibility of the members to read through the minutes and then post their opinion on any questions raised?

I suggest both. I have italicised a line or word at the end of those topics where we wanted discussion. Other topics are obviously invited for future meetings and of course you can and should contact your rep to act on your behalf so as to encourage both your and there involvement - whether in person or by proxy.

All in all it is early days. I, for example, have never done anything like this before and the same will, I am sure, apply to others. So the more ideas and input there is now the better, easier and more complete it'll be later.

I'm most excited about the idea of the e-book as a fund raiser. :cool

Any questions for the next meeting please send to me for inclusion.

Any discussions can be put on the gb for all to discuss beofre we decide on it.

Please see the new section for the WHSA.