Do you have a sweep?

Guest Jeff Roark

Guest Jeff Roark

With my new way of setting my gripper my sweep does not exist, or the range that is considered the sweep. I like my new way of setting my grippers, which I learned from somebody. I ain't going to change it beause it puts me in the money shot range. I wonder if I should occasionally add a little sweep work to strengthen the range to help with the closure? For those who have shut the big one does it even matter? If it ain't going to contribute one bit the heck with it. All I want is the handles to click.

Jeff,

Sweep is VERY important.  There was no closing the #3 for me without developing a decent sweep.

Guest Jeff Roark

Tou,

When I get a proper set I have to be within 2 to 1 1/2 inch away from full closure. Now this is not on the #3 as I haven't touched it for a good while but it holds true on the BBM.

Snott, why was developing the sweep so important for you? With my setting style I am beyond that range of motion or atleast I think I am. How deep in are you when you set your gripper?

Guest Rhino1

Could someone please explain what "sweep" is?  Is it really beneficial in helping to close grippers?  The curiosity is killing me!

DJ

The sweep is the part of the closing where you push the gripper from full open to about 1 inch of full close. Under 1 inch, it is the "close" part.

Grab a #4 and you'll know why the sweep is important.

Adam - I would say that improving one's wide pinch grip may equate to an improvement on the sweep. It seems that many of the better pinchers are also very good with the grippers.

Jeff- I also agree with Snott, the sweep is important to develop. If your sweep is weak, too much effort will be wasted just positioning the gripper. This will really screw you when attempting strap holds on a heavy gripper.

mike

Jeff,

I set the gripper to where my pinkie "catches" the handle, then I pull the gripper closed.  The first part is the sweep; then you get to "close".  It's that pulling part that's the sweep.

BTW, the #3 is the only gripper that I use this technique on.  I'm strong enough to close a BBM without it - but with the #3, it's different.

If you see the Kinney video of him closing the #4, he starts at the "hold" position, then rolls the gripper into a grind.  This is something that I can't even begin to comprehend!!!  IT IS FREAKIN' UNREAL!!!  The highest gripper I can only do this on is my #1.  On my #2 - no way.

I have my two Tetting grippers that are turned down (BBE), and I set them in my hand.  The angles are so close a sweep "set" isn't needed.  It's pure crushing power!  It has beaten me many times, and only on a good day can I close it.