idea for bending training?

Nathan Say

In MoHS, Brookfield writes that a good way to get a tight grip on thin bars is to get a piece of rope that same thickness as the piece of metal you want to bend, tie it to a bucket & lift it to get used to something thinner than a dummbell/barbell. I was on the bus today & a guy had a putter with him & it looked like it was about as thin as a nail or spike at one end. I thought if you did weaver stick lifts with something thin it would help with bending because: 1. it helps with gripping thinner objects & 2. it trains the wrists in a position that might be used in a bend. Is that a good idea or what? I haven't tried any serious bending before & haven't trained for it but I thought maybe it took Brookfield's idea a bit further.  :blush

Guest 115-1005574997

might be worth a try Nathan but after the British Nail Bending championships, i feel the best way to improve your bending strength is to concentrate on your wrists (wrist curls, weaver stick to front and back) and also pinch lifting on a 3 or 4" block.

why?

well maybe it was just me but my wrists weren’t anywhere near strong enough and id suggest training them in all 4 planes of motion.  I am still suffering with muscular pain and soreness in the backs of my hands, just like I get from  thick block pinching.  A good crushing ability (grippers) would also help but at the end of the day, nothing like bending lumps of steel.

Guest 115-1005574997

they were mike but not in a very user friendly way

an article with pics will apear in the next issue of IG or you could always email Dave.

I was confident a full account would appear in the next IG. What I was having trouble waiting for was how many folks actually mannaged to bend two 60's taped together. I'll wait though. BTW I appreciate all you guys taking part, the results let us know what the standards are.

Mike

Guest woody36

Squeeze,

If you go back to page 4,and look in the question

"Forthcoming Comps" the results are in there.

I was confident a full account would appear in the next IG. What I was having trouble waiting for was how many folks actually mannaged to bend two 60's taped together.

The answer to your question is one: David Horne. (if I read the results correctly)

According to Tom Black only a handfull of people in the world can bend two medium tough 60 penny nails taped together.  

Robert

Thanks Scott, but David Horne deserves all the credit - all I did was tweak the table that he posted earlier.

Train smart!