2 New Toys

Mlstrass

Plan on playing in the garage tonight after work and should have both done tomorrow as I'm off work.

One of my goals for 2006 is pinching 2 35's and since I'm a BIG believer in microloading, or in this case micro deloading, I'm going to build a small plate loaded device just for that. Probably an adapter on the platform to help hold the plates so they don't try to roll off, but removeable for block lifting also.

Seems like many feel that the available hub devices don't simulate the actual torque of lifting a plate by the hub, since a loading pin and rope/chain or whatever lets you angle the hub with NO effect on the weight below. I've got a way around that, may have been done before and I apologize ahead of time if I've taken someone's idea, but I haven't seen this one anywhere.

Should have pics in a few days. Also need to get pics of my version of the SW. Got it primered yesterday and have used it for 2 workouts so far...AWESOME machine for progressive poundage reps!

Quick question: Is 3" considered the "standard" hub size on the old York plates? Or 2 3/4", 2 7/8"?? Want to make this thing as close as possible.

I look forward to the unveiling of your creations you mad metal scientist. :whackedIT'S ALIVE! :tongue

Thanks Gator, needed a good laugh as it's 3:00am and I'm trying to figure out why I was out there so late.

Got the hub device done tonight, made 2 different sizes: 2 1/2" straight one and a 3" tapered one. Hooked it up to one of my cheapo 45# plates with the big flat hub and it works like a charm. And of course it will work on any OLY plate without a good hub to grip. Only problem is when I tried to lift it the 45 pounder turned into a BRICK! LOL

Much respect to you guys hub lifting those things. I'll try and get a few pics up in my gallery tomorrow.

Pics of the prototypes are up in my gallery. Let me know what you guys think. So simple I can't believe I've never seen this before. If I copied someone's elses idea sorry as I searched all over and didn't see anything like it.

Now I just need some hublifting strength!!!!

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...&cmd=si&img=936

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=2375

I also saw an even simpler one but can't remember where. It used wood supports and two old barbells placed one over the other. On one side they were fairly close together, the other side they were further apart. Weights were placed on the end of the lower barbell. No actual hinge that I could see though.

I've seen several SW's, but I was referring to the hub device I made. One guy on the board PM'ed and said he made something like it a while back.