Kta - Impact On Other Training

b19vny

Hello all,

Quite new here.

Been bending and gripping for about a year and have managed to close my #2 (right-hand only) and bent a couple of 6" (60D) nails which I'm pleased with.

I should really start to aim for the #3 and red nail now I guess.

If I start the KTA (grippers), what impact will this training have on the other stuff I'm doing? I practice Wing Chun four times a week and usually manage to fit a couple of weight/grip sessions in too.

As bending and gripping is 'part' of my training and not the be-all and end-all I am wary of it taking complete control during KTA.

Any pointers?

1. No bending while on KTA! At least nothing serious. Preferaby no other grip work at all. That is the rule. You could be the exception, but better to be careful and focus everything on one goal.

2. Determination and focus: closing the next gripper has to be your #1 strength goal for best results. If something else has to take a backseat, so be it, but you will not miss your grip workouts! That being said, I don't think your regular training will be affected too much, if at all.

3. Tailor the volume: I think a guy who works hard manual labor can take KTA and cut the volume in half compared to someone with a desk job (with less results maybe, but progress nonetheless). I've been on both sides of this fence! The principles and structure of the program will benefit anyone, but the volume can be adjusted for individual recovery considerations.

To do KTA to it's full extent you really need to drop all other grip training and focus on KTA. Rying is correct about some volume adjustments. Early on it is not really a problem, later in the cycle it can really be a wear on your system.