Sybersnott - The Weak

Sybersnott

I just finished doing my deadlifting on my thick bar.  On a quick warm-up, I managed only 300 measly pounds - that's 150 pounds per hand.  Bummer.  

Is anyone (or EVERYONE) doing better?  I feel weak!!  I am truly sorry for this performance, and will work on doing better in the coming weeks.  :(

Guest rockblaster

Sybersnott,

Is that with both of your palms facing inward or with the "one palm inward, one palm outward" grip?  I guess "pronated" would be the correct term for the latter grip.  You get a different workout using each grip.

rockblaster,

Suponated and pronated grip.  Yes, this is how I deadlift, since I'm not using straps and I don't use chalk on my thick bar.  I also don't use a belt.

The most I've ever done on my RT is 160 pounds - right-handed.

YOUR weak?!?, Im weak! Just got my #2 today, and MAN! I have MUCH more respect for people that have closed the #3 now. The #2 is a beast to me.... Im close to conquering it though, just about a quarter of an inch to go (right hand)..... Well, I know ill get it soon enough, ill try it with some chalk on friday.

But come on Sybersnott, dont sell yourself short, everybody has some bad periods where they feel week, youll get back to pulling monster numbers in no time!  :hehe

Edit: ####, just after I posted this, I slammed it down to a little over a millimeter to go! I guess at least I am improving!  :hehe  :hehe  :hehe

Guest 115-1005574997

Yep that’s pretty rubbish and you need to work on your erector and pulling strength!

Only kidding mate :)

As Nathen said, everyone starts somewhere and some find thickbar work harder than others. Is your aim to deadlift or train your grip?  If its deadlift, stick to mixed grip, if its grip priority, best to do pronated.

Update us how you get on!

Guest rockblaster

As I am sure you already know, using a "palms in"grip is MUCH harder than the pronated grip.  I, too, use both but will lift more on the pronated grip.  Doing cleans with the thick bar is also interesting.  Have you done those yet?  I am basically sticking with the thick bar rows and the deadlifts (I had to decrease my weight by almost half) but I am now making steady gains, reaching a good weight but now I am working on increased reps.  What I do is keep telling myself that the payoff is big in the long run by not having a weakness in grip or anywhere else for that matter.  Furthermore, I still feel growth using lower weight since I can feel the power transference from my hands throughout my back.   I have gone back to the regular olympic bar a couple of months later and I can still row 300+ pounds with a tighter grip than before.  One more thing--put a MINUTE amount of moisture on your hands to prevent slippage.  I have found that, on the thick bar stock, rosin and chalk won't work that well but sweat does.  I hope this helps.

Guest josephbd

Its a good start. If you really want the poundages to skyrocket make sure you include a lot of heavy partials with the thick bar and holds in a power rack. Do them once a week and keep pulling hard. It will make a big difference.

All the best.

Nathan,

You forgot an important detail when you mentioned

that even Apollon couldn't deadlift 300 on a thick bar.

He was age 16.

(just kidding)

It's a two inch thick bar.

More bad news:  I tried to clean and press 150 pounds today - didn't happen.  So, I "tried" some power cleans.  :blush

I can throw up 100 pounds like it's nothing.  Oh well, now I've got something to work on!!  :p