2002 U.S. Grip Strength Championships

Guest Grip Strength 2002

Guest Grip Strength 2002

2002 U.S. Grip Strength Championships

Date: August 17th, 2002

Time: 11:00 a.m. (10:30 a.m. rules meeting; competitors MUST ATTEND)

2501 W. 56th St (i.e. 56th & Penn Av. S.)

Minneapolis, MN 55410

Classes:  

Women- OPEN

Men- 220 lbs. and under

Men- OPEN

Events (in order of performance):

1) Ironmind COC  (each hand will be tested)

2) Ironmind Rolling Thunder  (hold for time- 100 lbs.- <220, 125 lbs.- Open)

3) Ironmind Eagle Loops ring/pinky finger deadlift  (max weight, 3 attempts)

4) Two-hand double-overhand plate pinch with York 45's  (max weight, 3 attempts)

5) Ironmind Apollon’s Axle double-overhand deadlift  (max weight, 3 attempts)

6) Ironmind Heavy Hammer II Leverage Bar lift  (hold for time- 10 lbs.)

7) Mastiff brand farmer’s walk  (max distance, 90 seconds with one set-down- 190’s- <220, 240’s- Open)

Entry Fee: $25 US dollars

eMail gripstrength@hotmail.com for a registration form and other inquiries

Whoah! This sounds cool. I would love to be going to this one. Now we have the British Grip Champs, Kevin's Super Grip Challenge, The Loddekopinge (sorry about the spelling on that one) Grip Challenge, soon to have the Australian Grip Champs and YOU lucky guys in the US have this new competition! I guess you'll ALL be there eager to show your talents and find out who's best.

Nick

BTW..... whoever you are; your first post, and you don't tell us your name.  Am I missing something??  ???

I don't think that you're missing anything Syber.  I've discussed this with Wannagrip last week.  I'm Brian, I go by 'bseedot' here on the GripBoard, but I wanted to create a separate username and eMail address for purposes of handling this contest.

It's going to be a fantastic contest.  We've got use of a huge gymnasium with bleachers.  The school is attached to a huge outdoor park.  Contestants and spectators alike must all come!  The contest will, ultimately, only be as good as those who have the tenacity to stand up and compete.

that's about 11 hour drive from here... i would love to make it though. Brian, are you the main organizer of this event? how'd you decide on the the name us champs? i'd be competeing in the (well) under 220 lb class.

Brian,

Good stuff. If you need any help give me a shout. Also send me the relevant info and I'll put it in the next issue of Iron Grip. Since this is 2 weeks after the British Grip champs, are you still coming over?

David

Guest 115-1005574997

Brian

Great to see another competition and I wish you all the best of luck.

As Dave says, I hope your still able to come over on the 3rd August as I know quite a few people are looking forward to meeting you   :)

I’m very interested in the lifts your performing.  As someone whos done a bit of Eagle Loop training, I know that’s going to be a tough lift and quite uncomfortable.  Always good to separate the men form the boys!

Also great twist on the RT having it for a timed hold and the pinch grip sounds awesome (4" wide according to Richard Sorin).  

To reiterate Nicks comments, its great to see 5 contests in 4 country’s and it goes to show the sport is growing!  Ive got a feeling the record books are going to be in a state of flux over the next few years :)

Guest Grip Strength 2002

Thanks for the support guys, but this is hardly "my" contest.  A number of people in the Twin Cities have been working together to put on a big grip contest, using all standard equipment, in a large metropolitan area that is easy to fly into.  Several people have tested all of the suggested events, many generous lifters have 'donated' their equipment for the day for us to use, another secured the venue, and the Minneapolis park board will be supervising the venue during the contest.

AP, I sure hope to see you compete.  I sure hope to see everyone come out to compete.  It really is going to be a great contest.

David, that month will be incredibly busy for me.  If my help is needed, I'll be volunteering my time at the Minnesota's Strongest Man strongman contest on July 27th, the British Grip Champs on August 3rd, I'll be competing in a strongman contest in southern Minnesota on the 10th, then the U.S. Grip contest on the 17th.  I'll definitely still be coming to your contest- I just got my passport in the mail last Friday  :)

I don't remember how the contest name first came up, but it just seemed logical to use, I suppose.  It hasn't been used yet and, because of the venue, proximity, use of standard events, etc., it's our opinion that the contest will be worthy of that name.

What is the strongman contest that you will be in Aug. 10. Is is to late to sign up for it I would love to go.

Guest OoklaTheMok

RE: the competition name, I think it will most definitely be deserving of it, for a lot of reasons...

The fact is, noone else is offering any kind of national-level scale grip meet at this time.  Kevin Fulton has been the only one working hard to promote a quality grip contest on an annual basis in the United States.

Some people claim that they are limited by travel logistics with respect to Kevin's contest.  I *would* consider that a valid point, but the year he offered it in Lincoln, near a large airport, the only out-of-staters who showed up were the people who would have driven to Kearney or Litchfield, anyway.

So, I think that by and large that was just an excuse.  Nevertheless, this contest is being held in Minneapolis, so that people will have no problem with travel and access.  There is plenty to do here if people want to stay for a while, there is more than ample accomodations with respect to hotel, food, entertainment, etc.  And just about anyone should be able to conveniently fly here.

Also, this contest will use all standard equipment.  I believe that IronMind products are the 'Eleiko' of grip work; everyone from strongmen to powerlifters to bodybuilders know about the COCs, the Appollon's Axle, the Rolling Thunder, etc.  There will be no slanting of this contest towards anyone, nor will there be your esoteric "we are going to load a pair of 25 kilo plates and 7 bars of soap into my wife's panty hose, and hold them for time while my neighbor whips you with jumper cables" events that are sometimes seen at local/fringe strongman or all-around type of contests.  It is all IronMind, York, and Mastiff stuff, so everyone can have the same equipment and know they are training for the same event as everybody else.

Other reasons that it will be a great contest are still in the works.  Hopefully you will see large-scale sponsorship, promotion, and recognition.   At the very least, it will be a step in the right direction for those who want to compete in the area of grip strength.

Jason Keen

Guest cujo

Well put OoklaTheMok!!

I don't have much to add as you have stated all the obvious points.  Standard equipment, Central location.

I don't see any reason why some big sponsors should not "grip" on to this event.  Which hopefully will continue on.

Count me in.

Where and when will registration information be available??

If enough out-of-towners register early I'll be a group rate at a hotel could be setup.  Some thing to keep in mind for the promoters and contestants alike.

Great news about the US grip contest.  Now, if they would only add nail bending and lifts with the PDA inch dumbell handle I would get my answer as to what constitutes a world class  performance in these events !

Robert

Guest Grip Strength 2002

Hi Robert.  David Horne just hosted a competition devoted solely to nail bending not even two weeks ago.  Surely you can gather some useful information from the results of that contest.  

Re: the adjustable Inch, I'll tell you what:  you get PDA to give us one with a pair of Nutbusters and we'll add the event to the list.  I assume that we can look forward to seeing you in August then, too?

Re: the adjustable Inch, I'll tell you what:  you get PDA to give us one with a pair of Nutbusters and we'll add the event to the list.  I assume that we can look forward to seeing you in August then, too?

Pencil me in for 2003.  I am afraid I am already overbudget for travel in 2002.  

Since you are doing rolling thunder already, you only need the PDA handle if you are going to add an inch dumbell handle clean and press.  I would like to see a worldclass effort at that event !   Richard Sorin's "Grip gauntlet" is something else I would like to see in future competitions if this contest becomes a regular affair.

Robert

Guest reid73

I just put in for my vacation at work so I can go and have my but wipped by some of you grip gods .Maybe I should buy a gripboard shirt to compete in .A quick question on the events? In the COC test will it be the #2 for reps or how far you can shut the #3 or what ,also on the RT hold are you going to allow the thumbless grip ?And Finally on the eagle loop deads are there 2 seperate lift ring then pinke or one lift ring and pinky together?

Hope to meet some of the fellow gripboarders there

James

Guest OoklaTheMok

James-

Glad to see you are coming to the Twin Cities.  I am sure you will find the trip well worth it.  RE: your event questions, here are some quick answers...

COC: Take a look at the results from Kevin Fulton's SuperGrip contest.  Basically, the contestants in each class will get 'ranked' based on what they closed in the least number of attempts.  If you tie, you split points.  So you will have to close a gripper all the way to get credit for it.

Rolling Thunder: No thumbless.   Thumb over, hand approximately centered.  (that is, no jamming your hand down in the corner so it can't rotate)

Eagle Loops:  One event; ring and pinky at same time.  (2 sets of eagle loops attached to barbell, so it will approximate a regular DL, but with only those two fingers on each hand and the bar about 4" higher.)

Start training.

Jason F. Keen

Are there ANY certified COC's competing in this event?  ???

If not.... the mighty Sybersnott will have to compete in the name of the GripBoard for all honour and glory!!!  (Of course, with all blessings from the wise and powerful Wannagrip!!!).

Snott

If you are even considering it, you should definitely go along and compete :).  The lifts in the event sound like they're right up my alley and I wish I was going to be there myself :(.  Anybody who can make it should certainly attend to compete or watch.  Support your sport and help bring it into the mainstream :).

Guest baldy
The lifts in the event sound like they're right up my alley

That could be just about anything grip related, Jim. Can you be more specific?:)

Guest 115-1005574997

go on snott compete, youd love it really :)

If Jim doesnt mind me saying, being right up my ally in the UK means, "the lifts in the competition are the ones im strong at"

And as we've said 100's of times already, competition takes you to the next level in YOUR development and also rekindles the old enthusiasm for the sport.  its also a great way to meet peple and your doing your bit to keep the sport growing.

Good luck everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Grip Strength 2002

RE: Entry Forms

Entry forms can now be downloaded at:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~keen0018/2002USGrip.pdf

For those who don't have and won't download the Acrobat Reader required for the above link go to:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~keen0018/2002USGrip.htm

Of course, people can eMail gripstrength@hotmail.com for an entry form as well, along with any questions or comments.

One final point to mention:  The Men's Open class is named as such to allow those under 220 lbs. to compete in the Open Class if they so choose.