Unorthodox way towards closing a BBE

Guest StrongerthanArne

Guest StrongerthanArne

Another guy at the gym has had great success with a training program that is simple to put it mildly. In the morning he gives his 399 ip PDA a good squeeze first right handed and then left handed. No warming up. Later in the day at the gym (where he works), he gives his BBE (which is a monster gripper) a good squeeze, again with no warming up. This he does four to five times per week I would say. He has been working out with the grippers for about a year now. He can close my and Arne's #3 with ease for several singels cold. He is about 7-8 mm from closing the Elite on a good day, needless to say with no warm up.

No Wannagrip! He is a real freak! I promise!

Arne

Who is this guy??  Sounds like a ringer!.... too good to be true!!  :p

Guest StrongerthanArne

Joakim Palmqvist, a 20 year old guy. Getting certified is obviously not one of his top priorities. He can close an average #3 any day without warm up. He has been witnessed though by a guy appointed by Strossen (already in November last year). Arne has taken several pictures but none came out good. I was the first guy at the gym who closed a #3 and he came in second a week later. However since then I have not gained any strength with the grippers whereas he keeps getting stronger all the time. I expect that he will be able to close my #3 left handed before the end of the summer.

• 3 weeks later...

Wannagrip!

I have just sent some pictures of Joakim Palmkvist to you.

Arne

Got them. Thanks!

This guys hand looks a lot  like Joe Kinney's. His thumb pad is like a turkey leg like Joes!

They should be up soon everyone...in the gallery.

I am intrigued by the training program that Joakim Palmqvist follows.  Most people probably would characterize daily training as overtraining, but consider the total volume of his workout.  For a week of training he has a total of 5 singles with a gripper he can close (the 399) and 5 singles with a gripper he is within 10mm of closing.  That's a total of 10 singles, 5 of which are presumably not his limit (the 399 must be below his limit since he seems to be closing most #3's with ease).  Strictly, he has only 5 attempts at his limit (the Elite attempts).   As a comparison, how many people do 3 sets of max strapholds and 2 attempts on the #3 twice per week?  Probably quite a few.  Each workout would be equivalent to what Joakim does per week, and with two workouts per week you would be doing double the volume of Joakim's workout. I'm not implying that 3 sets of strapholds and 2 attempts on the #3 is overtraining, I just want to put it in perspective compared to Joakim's training.

Joakim does not follow any specific program. He sqeeze the heavy gripper's any time, every day. He's a freak!

Guest StrongerthanArne

Tom,

He does a few singels almost every day, usually with his 399 (which he can also cole left handed) and his Elite. Sometimes also with Arne's or my #3. However, the total volume is rather low (as you pointed out) as he never does any warm up with lighter grippers. No strapholds either. I also believe that his success with grippers is in part due to the fact that he does virtually no other grip work that could potentially interfere with recovery.

• 2 weeks later...