HOLDS ON CHINING BAR.

Guest Michael Daly

Guest 77-1005097254

At the end of our back workout, the guy's that i have recently been training with, finish off with holds for time on the chining bar. I managed to hang for 90 seconds with just my bodyweight on my first attempt, but was beaten into second place by one of the other guy's, who managed 95 sec.

Last week we did it with 50kg hanging around the waist. I managed to hold on for 61 seconds at a bodyweight of 104 kg.

Its a fun way to finish of a training session and gives a tremendous pump to the forearms that are already fatigued from deadlifts, pulldowns, and rows.

I was wondering if anyone else had tried these for grip endurance?

Michael.

Hello Michael,

Yes, I do these all of the time at the end of my bicep/forearm workouts. I agree, they are a fantastic way to finish off the forearms and grip. I am fortunate to have a variety of bars to hang from, some are the standard pull-up bars and others are various width square tubing. It's amazing the pump I experience from doing these. I usually only do a couple of sets as I get my longest hold on my first set and the holds get shorter thereafter.

paul

Guest 77-1005097254

Paul.  There was an interesting article about the adjustable chinning bar in IRON GRIP MAGAZINE that would allow for many different kinds of holds!!

Michael.

Michael,

I'll have to look up the Iron Grip atricle you're referring to. I'm always looking for ways to make my workouts more creative and intense.

Siversson,

86 seconds with one arm is fantastic! How much do you weigh?

paul

Guest StrongerthanArne

Thanks,

At that time I weighed 88 kg (194 lbs). I am pretty certain I could do better now as my grip is stronger while my weight is lower (83 kg). It depends also on the surface of the bar. On another (also smooth bar) more slippery chrome bar (the other one was an iron bar), I did around a minute at that time.

Guest RobbyTooSlobby

You might also try to do these holds with towels.  I have been doing towel chins for a while now.  My towels started to rip on me so now i use old pairs of jeans.  The pant legs are really strong and i do towel chinups with 45lbs around my waist and then hang because my arms and back usually give out before my grip does now.  

Ahh you reminded me of the good ole days when i was much younger and lighter and actually hung on a bar for 10 mins.  

Not bad ehh? bounce2.gifbiggrinbounce2.gif

Not that those holds aren't any good, but I like seeing how much weight I can hold for a few seconds. I think Richard Sorin held 2 dumbells chained together, a total of 227lbs, in one hand & a 2" thick chinup bar in the other & hung there for a few seconds @ bwt 275lbs. That's pretty amazing.  :0

I didn't mean that everyvody should be going for strength, I meant that I'm not very interested in endurance or reps (unless it's reps on a 45lb plate curl  :) ). It doesn't mean that nobody is allowed to be into that.  ???

Guest 115-1005574997

Michael

Sounds like a tough and fun way to round off a workout, anything over 30 seconds and my arms feel like they are on fire :)

I used to do a similar thing many years ago with a 2" plastic pipe and that hit the lower arm flexors very hard.  I preferred the thicker diameter, slippy bars as it didnt rip my calluses off like a rough metal 1" bar.  I think my best was about 25seconds at body weight of 90k.

Still not as good as you guys, especially Siversson :)

Dave’s article in IG about the adjustable chinning bar is great and anyone who doesn’t subscribe must be mad!

Michael, good to see your training hard for August and your sure to give Dave, Jim and Eliz a real run for their money :)

Guest baldy

This is also an event occasionally contested in WSM. Interestingly enough, it isn't always the people we would call "grip freaks" that win it. I remember in the US Strongest Man (1997 WSM trials) that Ken Brown did not do especially well, when Tommy Inglesbie (sp?) won it. He outweighed Brown by at least 40 lbs yet held on a crazy long time. Kaz was doing commmentary, and he said it was an event that a competitor had to train for. He said you have to get out and hang off a bar, like we are talking about.

BTW Mikhael Silversson, amazing time on your one hand hold. Very impressive. I would be happy holding on that long with both hands.

Guest StrongerthanArne

The first time I tried it with one hand on an one inch smooth iron bar, I did 38 sec but was beaten by three other guys. The guy who won did 80 sec. at a bodyweight of 70 kg (I weighed 94). As I hate to loose I worked on this exercise like a mad man for the next three months, improving my technique, strength, endurance and, importantly, loosing 6 kg of bodyweight. The next time I was ready for battle and won the comp at 86 sec. For those of you who have not tried it, one could say that it is a bit painful to hang on for that long with one hand, especially if you are heavy.

Guest 77-1005097254

Mikael. Very impressive!!  I will have a try with one hand, but i think your time is safe!

The reason i am doing timed holds is because there is a deadlift hold event ( van ) at a strength athlete competition that i will be competing in next month.

We have been doing deadlift holds with 2 x 120 kg cylinders used in farmers walk. In training, i have the best time with 75 seconds. The past few weeks we have been using the van and i have been getting my "butt kicked". My best time so far is 35.8 seconds, but i feel i have a "good one" to come when i get the hang of it.

Michael.

Guest Luke Reimer

I'm impressed with Mikael's one-armed hangs too.  I just tried

a moment ago: 44 seconds lefty, and 50 righty.  Dressed

weight, 205#.  I think I'm going to work on this and see if I

can break a minute with either hand.  

My brother was laughing when he watched me slip off the bar

at the end of my left attempt.  It just looked too easy to

him.  Well, he's another 20# heavier, so I laughed right back.

I speculated that he wouldn't make 30 seconds with either

hand. This prompted him to rush over to the bar and, to his

horror, verify my guess completely! It was hillarious.  

Thanks for the inspiration, guys.  Good thread started, Michael D.

Cheers,

Luke

Guest 115-1005574997

Michael

Wheres the strongman event being held?  Sounds great fun and are there anyother events your contesting?

scott

Guest 77-1005097254

Scott.  The competition is being held at Blair Atholl on 26 May.

It is a novice comp, but some of this years Scotlands Strongest Man contestents will be there. I will be doing all the events, which are  Log Press, Stones, Deadlift Hold, Vehicle pull, and Farmers Walk.

Cheers Michael.