Sorinex Is Gear Up For A Grip Contest!

madss

We are working out the details, and some thing might change in the next few day. Anson and I went to Sorinex this past week and had a field day. Richard and Bert are both worldclass guys and their equipment is untouchable. After we spent the day playing we started talking about a grip meet and this is how it is shaping up!

June 24 2006 @ the Sorinex Headquarters(date is almost 99%)

Events:

1. Grippers - Ironmind rules, or heck just no set them!

2. 2-hand pinch-standard rules

3. v-bar-strongest hand

4. 2 hand mandrel hold for time -dueling contenders. - Let me explain- Picture the horn on the anvil, one in each hand weighting exactly 100lbs. 2 guys face to face lift and hold for the longest time! Best overall time wins!!

It not a lot of weight to pick up but how long can YOU hold it!

5. Bolb lift you pick them up by the top and then by the face, accending order both hands

This will be a great chance to meet a lot of strong guys, visit with one of the founding gripper, see a lot of history, try Richard amazing feats of strenght and play on some of worlds best strenght equipment!!!. A cookout will follow the event. plus you will be able to wear yourself out on more grip toys then you could ever imagine! Don't miss it!!

pm me for any extra details. we will be working on all of the in's and out's and I will update ASAP.

I WILL MAKE THIS ONE COME HELL OR HIGH WATER. :rock

GATOR :cool

Edited by GatorGrip

For all that don't know. Irmo SC is right outside of Columbia SC, Very easy to get to from I-77. I live about 1.5 hours from the complex. If anyone need to Fly in, Columbia is great but we also have Charlotte which is about 1 hour away. I am working on Hotel info and will forward it to every.

The mandral is like this

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=4024

Hand size divisions or a free for all? :inno

I hope we have enough to have hand size divisions because I don't want to compete against those ogars! I might have to unlease some Tonya Harding ideas on them :trout

I hope we have enough to have hand size divisions because I don't want to compete against those ogars! I might have to unlease some Tonya Harding ideas on them :trout

HA HA HA HA HA :kiss

Here is what I came up with for the blob event, give me some fead back.

You receive 1 point for each pull( 1 for a top pull and 1 for a face pull) for a total of 14 points. you can pull any blob you want, but can't go back. You will run through tops then do faces.

If your first face pull is a 50 then you will recieve 7 but if you miss it then you get 0. Same for the face.

All points will be added and you will receive a placement for your overall score to keep events equal.

35lbs=1 point

37.5=1 "

40=1 "

42.5=1 "

45=1 "

47.5=1 "

50=1 "

Face

35lbs=1 point

37.5=1 "

40=1 "

42.5=1 "

45=1 "

47.5=1 "

50=1 "

Hope this makes sense, give me some feedback.

I think blob events are really cool. Glad to see you putting one in.

In my opinion, the face pulls on the blobs favor hand size too strongly. Some guys won't even be able to span the larger blobs. The extremely wide pinching also has a high injury risk for the competitors.

I think the Michigan Grip Champs and BBB had the right idea requiring competitors to load blocks to a platform. It removes any judging questions over how high is high enough. At Michigan they did 3 seperate platform heights with specifc point values for each. I thought that was a great way to finely seperate competitors.

I also think you should have 1 or 2 blobs below the 35. It gives weaker guys a chance to compete without hindering the tops guys too much. At the BBB 3 out of 11 guys failed to load the 35lber. At Michigan (9 competitors) 1 guy failed to load the 35lber, another only got it to the lowest platform.

Also, there are an awful lot of blobs in the 40-50 range. At the BBB, only 2 out of 11 guys lifted anything heavier than the 37.5 in the blob medley. At Michicagn, I think only 2 of 9 guys lifted anything heavier than the 40lb blob. Of the 5 guys that got the 40lber up, 4 of them only got it on the lowest platform.

I think blob events are really cool. Glad to see you putting one in.

In my opinion, the face pulls on the blobs favor hand size too strongly. Some guys won't even be able to span the larger blobs. The extremely wide pinching also has a high injury risk for the competitors.

I think the Michigan Grip Champs and BBB had the right idea requiring competitors to load blocks to a platform. It removes any judging questions over how high is high enough. At Michigan they did 3 seperate platform heights with specifc point values for each. I thought that was a great way to finely seperate competitors.

I also think you should have 1 or 2 blobs below the 35. It gives weaker guys a chance to compete without hindering the tops guys too much. At the BBB 3 out of 11 guys failed to load the 35lber. At Michigan (9 competitors) 1 guy failed to load the 35lber, another only got it to the lowest platform.

Also, there are an awful lot of blobs in the 40-50 range. At the BBB, only 2 out of 11 guys lifted anything heavier than the 37.5 in the blob medley. At Michicagn, I think only 2 of 9 guys lifted anything heavier than the 40lb blob. Of the 5 guys that got the 40lber up, 4 of them only got it on the lowest platform.

Thanks Scott for the input I will see what i can come up with so maybe a 30 and 32.5? I am going to try some face lifts in the next week to see what they are like. I don't have anything but a 50 but my buddys have a lot of different sizes.

I hope we have enough big guys to have 2 hand size groups. we always have enough small hands. this will make it more even. Thanks again

Yeah, I think those 2 would be good. Part of what makes this event cool to me is that doing the blobs one after another with just one hand generally knocks you down a level from your max. It rewards someone that can rely on both hands to move through the progression.

Yeah, I think those 2 would be good. Part of what makes this event cool to me is that doing the blobs one after another with just one hand generally knocks you down a level from your max. It rewards someone that can rely on both hands to move through the progression.

Also if you can pull say a 45 you can start there or anywhere and if you get that one you will receive the points for the ones you skipped but if you miss you get a big goose egg.

Beyond the Blob 50 # we could have the origional Blob (52.5 #). It would be fun to see how many guys could move that beast.

This thing is coming together like a dream. Ironminds Randy Strossen has written the date on his calendar to fly from California to join in the grip brotherhood. There are a few ideas in the mix that if come to pass will make the get together a real blast. I will keep you posted!

It doesn't say but I'm assuming the Blobs are just to a full dead lift? And Richard - are you going to compete or not? I need some company in the Geezer catagory :rolleyes

It doesn't say but I'm assuming the Blobs are just to a full dead lift? And Richard - are you going to compete or not? I need some company in the Geezer catagory :rolleyes

That would be awesome :mosher Chris...this will be your 20th contest by June :tongue

Just when I start figuring out this sledge lever thing - we go to Blobs and mandrels - I love it - just goes to show you have to train everything if you want to play with the big boys :inno. I gotta talk Doc into going to this one - that boy understands the Blobs. Also try to have a nice average #3 there - it would make my day if I could close it in front of Randy himself. Not a soft one - I'd rather miss than do that but not that beast from the GGC either please.

Just when I start figuring out this sledge lever thing - we go to Blobs and mandrels - I love it - just goes to show you have to train everything if you want to play with the big boys :inno. I gotta talk Doc into going to this one - that boy understands the Blobs. Also try to have a nice average #3 there - it would make my day if I could close it in front of Randy himself. Not a soft one - I'd rather miss than do that but not that beast from the GGC either please.

That's the idea, we're trying to keep things fresh and interesting.

It figures I don't know if I'll be able to swing this one either thats the weekend before the stongman I help the Y with. Have to see what I can work out because it would definitely be a cool one to hit.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I am back from a great vacation in Wyoming. Got some updates.

This event will be the same weekend as Richards birthday so a party/ cookout will be after the meet.

Richard also stated that Dr. Strossen is planing to attend, so any COC hopfulls this will be a great time to meet Dr. Strossen and cert!

we are working on the events this week and will give more details as the work goes forth.

Mandrel lift pics will be up in the next day or so.

This event will be the same weekend as Richards birthday so a party/ cookout will be after the meet.

Will there be a big birthday cake and ice cream and all sorts of good stuff??? :rock

Richard also stated that Dr. Strossen is planing to attend, so any COC hopfulls this will be a great time to meet Dr. Strossen and cert! we are working on the events this week and will give more details as the work goes forth.
How 'bout some cool pics for MILO!!! :cool
Mandrel lift pics will be up in the next day or so.

Will that be with a regular anvil horn or with the LBH? Just wondering... I can train either/or. :cool