Whats a Good Curl

Guest Youngguy

I dont want to sound like a jerk or over step my bounds, but this is a "grip" board.  Questions like this dont seem to really belong here.

There are millions of boards out there that would love to discuss curls.  I frequent this board because I like to discuss all things grip related.  Unless the curls are with a thick bar, this isnt really grip related question.

Plus-I dont think to many people here focus on curling strength.  I could be wrong...

Rick Walker :hehe

Guest woody36

Youngguy,

If you're not cheat curling? that's a respectable curl,

but as Rick says,do them with a thick bar and you'll be taking

care of two jobs at once!

Guest baldy

About curls relating to grip, it does seem that there are some people who took right to the #3 that were great at curls (Mr Sorin, Ken Brown, and Manfred H. come to mind). I would guess that Mr Horne is good at curls too, but don't know any numbers. On the other side of the coin, I read a very interesting article by one of our own here (also a COC) that stated curls aren't even necessary, as long as heavy back work was being done (bent rows and weighted pullups / negative pullups). I go with the latter, it seems to be true for me too.

Youngguy, you are really starting to use this age thing as a crutch. If you deadlift / curl / crush / whatever a lot at 14 or 15 but don't progress after a certain point you really won't have accomplished anything to write home about (except for your #3 close, that is cool at any age). It isn't where you start that counts, it is where you finish that matters. I wish you the best in your training, but you might want to start thinking about long-term goals and continual progress. Many trainees I know did more at age 17 than they can at 27, what good is that apart from memories?

Also, try Rick and Ray's advice. Do it on a thick bar if you are going to be doing it. Maybe try Mr Sorin's tip of doing thumbless reverse curls on a thick bar, that one is certainly a grip movement.

A good barbell curl ?  I would say anything over 200lbs for 6 reps would be good.  That is what I am aiming for, but I am not particularly strong on this movement.  

As a poster mentioned above, this is a grip board, so you should do your curls on a 2" plus bar.  I have started doing dumbell curls on my PDA 2.4" handle to kill two birds with one stone.  Tom Black recommends Zottman curls with the Inch handle.

Robert

just cause this is a grip site doesn't mean that gripboard members should only curl with a thick bar... curl with any bar you like- do any excersize you like but mostly discuss grip on this board... btw 200lb x 6 is a monster curl, he11 wsm logs usually weigh only about 275. this would be an easy cheat curl and an even easier clean if you could curl 200 x 6...

btw 200lb x 6 is a monster curl, he11 wsm logs usually weigh only about 275. this would be an easy cheat curl and an even easier clean if you could curl 200 x 6...

Wouldn't a log curl be a hammer curl ?  I assume most people would be able to handle more weight on a standard curl.

I would think that an average "hardgainer" could work up to 150lbs. for 6 reps.  I really don't think curls are one of my strengths, but I would be surprised if I don't reach 200x6 with a couple of years training.  Still, I am more interested in  the grip aspect, so I will continue to emphasize dumbell curls with the PDA inch handle.