sore thumb

Whenever I do any heavy work with the CoC grippers I find that the knuckle of my right thumb gets really sore. I've only had my grippers for a few days and already this seems like it may be a problem. I've had a problem with this thumb before, when I injured it through 7 years of goalkeeping, but it seemed pretty much fixed until I started on the grippers. Any of you have a similar problem or know how I can overcome it?

Guest mikebyoung

What kind of training are you doing? What number grippers do you have? You have only had them for a few days, are you over-training on them?

I got carried away on them the first week I had them. I had been warned,but I couldnt keep my hands off them.

No thumb problems,but the back off my left hand felt like someone hit it with a hammer. I backed off a bit and began pacing myself. The hand felt better right away.

I also got myself some "power-putty". It's like a big hunk of silly-putty. Kneading the putty after a good hand work-out helps with any pain I might still have.

I am new at this. I am not an expert. But, I do know, SERIOUS pain should not be ignored. Be careful.

With a past injury involved, It might be wise to consult your doctor.

Good Luck,

Mike

Yeah, I did kinda the same thing at first. Worked too #### hard on em, and other grip stuff, ended up pinching a nerve in my right wrist, wasnt too bad but was still annoying. I layed off of em for a few weeks and it got better pretty quick luckily.

But, thats kinda weird, how its in your knuckle on the thumb and your only using the grippers. Ide consider seeing a sports doctor if it doesnt go away, and if it does go away, maybe before doing any gripwork try putting some heat on it before and after gripwork, and see if that would help. Im not a doctor or that experieced in anything, but, its just what I would do.

The pressure of the gripper in his hand might be aggravating an old soft tissue injury.  Stop using the grippers and see a doctor about it.  Rest for now - then get back into grip training SLOWLY.  Paul's right... it has nothing to do with the thumb.  :)

Thanks for all the advice guys. The pain isn't all that serious, just feels...wrong. It doesnt give me any problems when I use the trainer or the #1, but anything higher than that and it seems to get stressed. The other thing is that when doing a straphold where I really have to clamp it shut I don't feel any pain, it's only when I try and close something hard (for me) like a #2. VERY annoying for this to happen almost as soon as I got the CoCs though, cos I'd been eagerly waiting to use them for 2-3 months as they were out of stock.