ordering #3 soon

Guest hands4god

Guest hands4god

i will be ordering a #3 this week! i know that sucker is going to be tough. when i was training for the @2 i basicaly would just sqeeze it with all my might until one day i closed it. seeig there is such a jump between the #2 to the #3 should i train the same way, just waring up and sqeezing the #3 for a few reps twice a week until i get it? or will other training methods need to be used?  has anuone ever closed a #3 by just traning on it alone? without doing strapholds, and other stuff?

You won't close it right away unless you are Phil Pfister, Ken Brown, Manfred or some monster like those.

Many training methods have been employed to close the #3 : strap holds, negatives, low reps, squeeze until you get it, ...

Strap holds seems to be the most popular practice and some did it with negatives.

hands,

The only guy I know of to certify that solely used the grippers by themselves was Tim Springstein.  He also trained everyday, and went up one gripper at a time.

I suggest you get a grip machine, like a plate-loaded grip machine.  You can go to a number of places to get one; I like the one from New York Barbells.... it's simple, and you can really load the weight up for it.  Machines like the SW are for the more experienced, and it is really painful to use when you go heavy.  Don't be surprised if you get your #3 and you can't put a dent into it.  Uh oh, NOW you haffta train, and train HARD!!  :p

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com

Guest mikebyoung

I just picked up a #3 yesterday. It humbled me.

When I was introduced to the grippers a few months ago, I shut the #1 for 6 reps right off the bat. After a few weeks I could shut it for 20 reps.

So I picked up the #2. I could only shut it to a half inch from closed. After a week and a few training sessions later, it was shutting. One rep...and really a struggle. Took me a few weeks more until I could shut it every time I tried. Still, not easy, and one rep only.

So here I am now with the #3. I can just about get it past parallel. I am hoping that by having this one to struggle with will make the #2 seem easier...lol.

I will use 2 hands to force it shut and do negs with it to help me dominate the #2. I wont focus on really shutting it until the #2 is under control.

Hands, how many reps are you getting out of your #2 now?

And, C.O.C's, how many reps were you getting on the #2 when you managed to crush the #3?

Thanks,

Mike.

Guest hands4god

im only getting one rep at the moment. basicly when ever i pick it up i can close it. exept in the mornings.  yesterday i tried and didnt get it shut. i was very upset! i think i over trained. with the trainer, the #1, and the #2 i could get away with fooling around whenever i wanted, not reaaly keeping strict rest days. but to keep a handle on the #2, and with the #3 on its way, ill eed to start training more with my head, than my grip, if you know what i mean! i can do about 15 reps with the #1. i all most shut the #2 upside down the other day.

OH CRAP!!!!!!!!   You mean THAT screws up recovery time?  No #### wonder I can't close that pesky #3 yet :D

Rick Walker :hehe

You can do it with just grippers, 3Crusher did it, Terminator did it, Nick did it, I did it, and there are several others that did.  I say do straps hard and heavy 1-2 days per week, but do grip everyday. Don't kill yourself everyday, but do something to keep active.  To me, reps really don't show anything about where you are on a gripper.  You are training for maximum strength, not rep strength.  Do straps, overs and a few negs and you can do it.

I can close the #2 10+ times and my PDA 387 once.  The #3 still eludes me.

You have a long way to go-you are not a Jedi yet.

Rick Walker :hehe

I hate reps.  They just get your hands tired, and prove nothing.  Some people really like reps - o.k., if you like doing reps, by all means do them.  I concentrated on just negatives (after trying several methods), and my training progressed.  Then I worked on doing SEVERE negatives on the SW.... AND MY GRIP TRAINING SKYROCKETED!!!  :crazy  :p

Point is:  if it is working for you, then do it.  Not everyone is the same.  But if you start to go stale, change your routine.