Brief Mi Grip Champs Writeup

Bob Lipinski

Very good time.

1.No set grippers-

Dave Thorton and I tied for first with an HG300. Tough gripper, tougher than a narrow Grandmaster.

2. Euro Pinch

Dave got 190 for the win, and Chris Rice was right behind with 180. Plates might have been heavy- We weighed the apparatus and it came out to what we thought. A few guys clumped around the 160-165 range.

3. Levering

I got 20 for the win, with a couple close tries at 21.5. Dave Thorton and Chris Rice both got 14.25, with very strong misses at 16- Called cause they raised their upper arms off the bench to finish it. Both will have that weight strict in the very near future.

4. Blob Load

25-50, with an extra 50 pound harder blob. This was the Dave Thorton show- All blobs were loaded onto the highes platform (which was above Dave's waistline) in about 30 seconds. Easily the most impressive performance of the day. No one else was close- The 45 stayed glued for everyone else, though Stew got some air under it and almost loaded it to the lowest platform.

5. Plate rim holds

100 pound plates, two competitors at a time. Dave and I went head to head, and he beat me 56 to 54 seconds. Stew and Chris Rice were next, and Stew beat Chris, with this event deciding between third and fourth place for the two of them.

Final Placings:

1. Dave Thorton

2. Bob Lipinski

3. Stew

4. Chris Rice

5. Jeff Flynn (AP on the board)

6. Jeff P (Strongmantobe on the board)

7. Brian Admunsen

8. Matt (local kid, 15 years old)

9. Scott Styles

Thanks to Fat Bastard and Heavy Grips for sponsorship.

And special thanks to Chris, Stew, Dave, and Brian, who jumped right in and helped with spotting, loading, and anything else that needed to be done. Chris especially, never met the guy and here is is busting his butt helping me out. Great guys.

Also thanks to Jerri and Don Larkin. Jerri judged,and being a national+world level powerlifter, as well as a powerlifting judge, she knows how to judge an event fairly. Don of course, is the life and inspiration of what I do.

And of course, thanks to my wife who kept score, and puts up with all this crap.

Sounds like a great contest, especially the blob load performance! Congrats on hitting that 20# sledge Bob! :rock

Awesome show, guys! Congrats to Dave and all you other grip nuts!

I remember doing 100 pound plate rim pinches long before I ever found the Gripboard. These were my entire grip workout! Nice choice for inclusion in your contest, Bob.

That 20lb sledge is very cool man! :rock

Congrats to all competitors!

Congrats everyone :)

Bob, I'd be interested in seeing some pics of the levering event if you have any.

Thanks.

Just want to throw in a few comments. First, Don Larkin has a fantastic gym, it was worth the trip just to look at all the years of history and pictures up on the walls, full of every old weight lifting thing you ever heard or thought of. Don and Jerri were just great fun to talk about the old days with. I want to thank them for their hospitality! The comp ran very smooth, no hitches of any kind. I want to chime in about Bob's lever - just before he did the 20, he turned to me and asked me to judge it as well for him; so I did. I was spotting the lever event so was standing right beside him, the lift was deep enough ( easily broke the plane of his head with the end of the sledge) and then came back up very strong and steady. His arm never moved and his shoulder stayed down. A great lift. He gave 21 1/4# a ride but it was just too much for that day. Dave Thorton put on a real show on the Blobs - the least he could have done was make it look like he was working a little bit. I am constantly amazed at his strength and versitility in grip. The 100# plate hold was a neat event with the head to head competition part working out perfectly on the pair ups. Stew and I were even going into it - I got 46 and he beat me with 50 seconds. Then Bob and Dave were in the same situation - with I believe the same 4 or so seconds determining that one as well. I surprised myself big time by actually levering the 16# sledge twice, not deep enough the first time and I raised my shoulder the second time but I felt strong enough that I just know it will go next time for me.

Afterwards, they broke out all the toys in Don's gym, which is enough stuff to play with for years to come. I got to do my first ever hip lift - what a blast - and I have the bruise marks on my butt today to prove it. Dave had air under the Inch DB but couldn't manage a full DL after everything else he did that day. As usual, I met a bunch of great new people from the grip world, especially Scott Styles, who has been so nice helping me out for a few years. Stew and Beth let Tee and I stay at their home for the weekend - a nice family with two fantastic kids who managed to exhust Tee and I completely. All in all, we had a great weekend.

Going head to head with that plate hold is really cool! That should be done more in comps!

The Contest was ran very well and the judging was excellent. Thankyou to Bob L. and the Larkins. Stew Rosendaul and Chris Rice came up from Ohio and both did very good. Scott Styles and Jeff(Strongmantobe) did their first Michigan Contest.

The no set gripper event was a good change of pace and I was finally able to hang with Bob on the grippers.

The Euro pinch apparatus wasn't seasoned the best which I have to take the blame for. The pinch weights should have been up about 10+ pounds.

The levering event was judged very strictly. Bob dominated on the levering. Chris and I had PR's with the 16. Not strict enough to be counted.

The blob medley event was a good change of pace also. The 45 blob that we used was very hard. We also used a Blob50 in addition to a hard Blob.

The most painful event was the plate rim holds. I was somehow able to hold on longer than Bob. He has been soundly thrashing me on this event every time we get together.

I was very impressed with Chris Rice. Chis did an excellent job spotting competitors on the levering and helping the newer lifters.

Thanks to the Sponsors, Fat Bastard Barbell and Heavy Grips. All the competitors received a couple of prizes.

Congrats on the win Dave. Also very well done on your 2nd spot Bob, never easy when you're runninga comp as well. Just great to see so many guys getting their asses on to the platform - well done! And boy are you getting around Chris, great to see, you'll learn so much from all this.

David

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I wanted some extra judging on my heavy sledges. Since the arms weren't strapped down at this comp, I wanted the heavy attempts judged strictly.

There are tons and tons of pictures. There are plenty good ones of people almost eating a sledge.

The plate rim holds were Don Larkin's idea. He has plenty of unusual grip exercises he favors, and I like to have at least one event a contest as a tribute to him. Plenty of others he likes- Secret Weapon holds, thin (1/2 inch or so) pinching, thin vertical (1/4 inch) lifts, paper tearing, etc.

EXCELLENT job on that 20#lever Bob! :rock

I Like the 100#,head to head,plate hold.....I used to do a Rim deadlift/hold on a trap bar..with the 100#'s on the outside...liked it..I think?is it similar lift?

Sounds like a diverse and well rounded contest.

You guys all have my respect for putting it on the line.

We just used 100 pound plates, but this morning Don was telling me how he used to play around with rim lifts on the trap bar.

We just used 100 pound plates, but this morning Don was telling me how he used to play around with rim lifts on the trap bar.

Ol' Larkin sounds like a cool old dude.

The 100# plate hold for time was a very cool idea.Maybe sometime do a Rim lift for max on the trap bar.I think there were some old pics of the "event"at some euro contest?

Or maybe it was just some guys doing it in a work out.

Again,congrats on that lever...ye old sledge seperates the men from the boys. :laugh:laugh

Other than super Dave?who is doing a lever(in that "contest"manner)with 20#...just curious.

Awesome results guys. And congrats to all the competitors! :rock Sorry I couldn't be there Bob. I would have enjoyed not placing middle or last in the pack on at least ONE event (TNS grippers). :)

Great work everyone. Dave - domination again, bro. Excellent performance in the blob loading. Bob, another well run contest. Climber and Stew are becoming well traveled Gripsters. It's great reading this stuff everybody.

-Jedd-

Bob put on an excellent contest. Great choice of events and the venue was awesome. Don Larkin's gym has got to be one of the coolest places in the country. Just seeing the gym and meeting Don made the trip worthwhile. I really enjoyed meeting everyone from the Gripboard and putting faces to the names. There are some seriously strong dudes on this board. My contest write up is here:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?s=&show...ndpost&p=220175

Bob's wife deserves a special thank you for helping out at the contest. She's about 7 months pregnant, but came down to the contest and kept score. Nothing but support for all of us the entire time. That's totally cool. Bob's a lucky guy.

Great job guys! Sound like it was a great event. Chris, you did great, especially considering you just did another contest last week.

Other than super Dave?who is doing a lever(in that "contest"manner)with 20#...just curious.

No one?

Looks like a well run competition. Congrats to Dave and Bob for taking the top spots.