10" Fbbc Spike Video

EricMilfeld

Since I won't be competing in the upcoming deadlift contest, I decided to put all my reacquired back strength to use and give this elusive spike another go. I've tried and failed for over a year on this spike, but tonight I got it for the first time!

Some of you had technique questions regarding braced spike bending, so hopefully this video will be of help. Let me know if you have any questions regarding the technique. I think I've developed a very advantageous technique for maximizing leverages.

By the way, I think I'm gonna start calibrating some spikes and big bolts, to add the FBBC list I've already started.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?&automo...cmd=si&img=3938

Great job, man. Sweet bend. That's the first time that I've seen that technique before. :mosher

Great stuff Eric.

And that looked quite easy too. :rock

:bow nothing better than seeing one of those bad boys go down,a stunning bit of wanging! :rock

Awesome! Another first for Eric. Having tried those monsters & never got past the 30 degree, that's just incredible.

Sweet - looked almost easy! Almost!

Great bend. However, what is going to give first; your tibia or the next, even larger nail? :blink

Kerb - Do you haev quicktime downloaded on your comp?

Eric - I think you should sticky that, along with a horseshoe bending video if one can be found in the bending section. There's not a lot of videos/explanations on both of those bends and I think it would help newbie's (like myself) with it.

Nice bend Eric!

These are pretty decent spikes, John B. sent me some with an order of horseshoes and bars back in Sept. 2004. The 12" and 10" went down pretty good. I use the "over the top of the leg start", I've only done the knee thing a few times and it's a pretty powerful technique.

The crushdown looked really good, be careful not to slip or bend anything tempered in that position.....I had a hard tempered wrench break on me a while back in that position and punched myself in the ribs so hard it hurt for over a month. Wouldn't be surprised if I broke a couple ribs. It could get really nasty if the hand slipped on a spike in that position, so I would advise keeping the point on the down hand (which you probably already do).

I can't view the vid but I assume that you're starting the bend across the front of your knee? This is a pretty powerful position but has led to some aching knee joints and swelling when I overdid it.

Good job on that 10" spike Eric.

Edited by ClayEdgin

Have you tried it over the leg? Seems alot easier than pulling the thing over your shin, OUCH. I didn't see any padding either. Good job.

Wow, that was a really cool bend, and a hefty piece of spike.

:ohmy SICK

thanks for putting up the vid, helps a lot

I cannot believe that you do that without any padding. I must be the biggest pus in the world. After your explanation, I tried it and wrapped it up in leather and it still hurt like a son a . I gonna go try again, dang.

I have had the distinct pleasure to be right beside the Mr. Metal Maniac. His did some 12" spikes but it was like me bending a 60 penny nail. Eric has a technique that allows him to put his immense power into the bar and it has no choice to bend.

The thing that really blew me away was when he put that spike across that STEEL SHIN of his and pulled it up for a good kink with ease.

Pain is something I have always tolerated well which definitely came in handy in the U.S. Army. This led me to a never say die mind set and never quit attitude. Unfortunately there were legitimate times when I should have stopped the madness especially after I was already injured which of course caused me further damage and pain for a longer duration.

I said all that to say this! When I laid that steel across my puny bare chin that night and I pulled and pulled and the pain was just wretched. Once Eric polished off his spike and being the helpful chum he is and feeling sorry for my weakness slapped my barely wobbled spike on that chin and pulled it like taffy.

I couldn't finish my steel even then, maybe I was to tired after my first Red Nail bend battle of 7 minutes plus and the other 5/16" steel piece I bent after that or the other things we did but I doubt it.

:rockThe Truth is Eric the Red is just strong as moonshine and tougher than a 2 dollar steak. :rockGrowing up in my RedNeck of the Woods I have drank my share of the first in my wilder days and ate to many of the last (Army Chow) so I can say this with a semi straight face. :tongue

Thanks, ya'll!

If you look close you might be able to see the 1/4" thick folded section of leather rubberbanded to my left shin. I'm not that tough! It still smarts on the shin, and you have to be careful the spike doesn't slip onto the soft tissue between your kneecap and shin.

Dude, great work with the 12 inchers! Were those the FBBC variety? Naturally, they're some of the tougher ones you'll find.

Mikael, I'm really hoping the answer to your question is bigger spikes. :erm

Terminator, good points of advice! I'd like to find some big thick grade 5s to try.

Deaner, I can't seem to get nearly the degree of kink with the over the thigh method.

Gator, my friend, your "colorful" posts never cease to entertain!