Training Guidance

Starkmann

RJKD,

as a matter of fact I have started doing all of my thickbar lifting after I dip my hands into a tub of vasoline. I find that it makes lifting much more challanging. When I lift a weight, I know it's "all me", no special technique.

Serously though though, bend anyway you want. Different people have different leverages and strengths. Use whatever style best suits those.

High DO bending is one of the most effective ways that I have found of building index and middle finger strength. I also practice all the other styles, just not as often. I get the most enjoyment out of high DO, not necessarily because I am strongest that way, but because the technique is so complex. It is a compound upper body / forearms /wrists /hands movement, similiar to squatting or the snatch in its complexity.

I didn't realize it at first but high DO is also a good way to build strength in the front neck muscles and tendons.

Injuries that I have gotten from high DO (none too serious) - index finger strain, shoulder (anterior deltoid) pulled muscle, pulled muscle or possibly tendon strain in my back (either traps or lats, I wasn't able to determine exactly where).

DO style uses the forearm extensors but it's probably not the most effective way of building strength in the forearm. I do many other assistance exercises to strengthen my forearms.

Few questions for Dave L, I'm just curious.

Will men and women become physically and mentally injured as a result of to much too fast by implementing methods that are easier for them? Yes.
How will men and women be mentally injured?

Why is bending different than other lifts or grip related things? Most people don't first learn to grip with their hands high on the gripper (worse leverage), and most don't learn to lift the blob with 2 fingers before trying their whole hand. Nobody is saying that progressing too fast and getting injured is impossible, are you saying that with your method that is impossible? You are saying, I can't keep my knuckes close together, bend a TT, go for a g5 and get hurt?

I assume you will say that bending DO has a higher chance of injury compared to yours. I have a few questions then. First, why? Please be detailed. Second, how does bending DO compare to bench press for instance? Is DO a technique that one can get so easily injured on that it should be avoided all together? Taking two competitors, both experienced with their technique, you and Dave Morton. Are you saying Dave has a much better chance of getting hurt?

Bending steel to me is a feat of strength only implored after years of building the connective tissues in the lower arms.

Being a "sports science professional and a man with experience" you should know there are many kinds of connective tissue. Now, what kind have you specifically built up, and how does that DIRECTLY affect your bending? What part of your "lower arm" have you build up this connective tissue? I"m not saying you didn't, I just want clairificaitons.

And lastly, why do you feel the need to state that you are a sports science professional so often? Do you not think that something like that should be shown via posts rather than stated numerous times? Honestly, for all your horn tooting I don't see a lot of sport science exuberating from your posts.

At this time I don't think my training partners can out bend me. We haven't done a real direct comparison but I think I have them beat. They are really good with the showman style bending a 3' bar over the nose type stuff. I don't think either of them have done much nail bending at all.

I've done my fair share of short-bending. It isn't something I practice often, but I can hold my own. Bring some steel down this weekend, we'll take a look at the different techniques, and we'll have a little 'direct comparison'. :)

Hate to interrupt the rest of the conversation but it looks like I screwed up here. Dan is one of my training partners and I made a guess at his bending level without seeing him bend or asking him. Just wanted to say that he can lift a whole lot heavier than I and I hope we do bend together this weekend. No matter who bends bigger, I believe he is stronger. :bow

:whacked Oh Boy! How a simple question can get so totaly lost. Well at least theirs a few good post getting thrown in all the mess just getting harder to find them with all the noise.

:whacked Oh Boy! How a simple question can get so totaly lost. Well at least theirs a few good post getting thrown in all the mess just getting harder to find them with all the noise.

Your not kinding. I feel like I'm in my office. The conversation starts, all of a sudden everyone gets side tracked into some kind of yelling meatch. Meanwhile I'm tying to have a conversation with some consultant in the corner to fix the problem. By the time they all cool down, I have it fixed.

It's okay though there were some good thoughts, unfortunatly I kinda stopped reading in the second page because it just seemed silly at that point.

Thanks to everyone for the guidance I recieved. :calm

One thing-

Double underhand bending hurt me far more than double overhand. I had to quit bending for long periods with double underhand because I would get elbow trouble.

Also, DO took a while to learn, but once I did it right I was making very large PR's immediately.

One thing-

Double underhand bending hurt me far more than double overhand. I had to quit bending for long periods with double underhand because I would get elbow trouble.

Also, DO took a while to learn, but once I did it right I was making very large PR's immediately.

You think the double underhand was so difficult for you and temporarily injured you was because your connective tissues were not conditioned for it?

Maybe!

Of course, I subject my elbows to plenty of other abuse during training.

But now DO I can do without pain. I may return to some DU bending when I go back to bending training.

One thing-

interesting. That sounds a bit like the trouble I have. I will have to bear that in mind