Best Way To Go With My Training?

BigTone

Ok, I just started grippers at christmas. I have a COC trainer and #1. I can close both, but the #1 for only about 1 rep continuously. I want to develop total grip/forearm strength so I'm going to be starting the beginner grip program suggested here - wrist curls, 2 handed pinch grip etc etc.

My b-day is coming up in march and I was thinking about asking for the following -

Benders bag

wrist roller

BBSA

COC #2

Sledgehammer

I really want to start bending soon - probably around march. Would it be ok to do the beginner program twice a week with crushers in between? Or if there are any other suggestions I will gladly soak them up.

Slow down. I got all frothy just like you about eight months ago when I first started. It's awesome that you have started so well. Unfortunatly you are doing what most of us do and getting ahead f yourself. Your birthday is only a month away, I wouldn't go asking for any bending stuff yet. First, bending is really hard on you, you need to do the gripboard beginner program then the bender beginner program. If you read both programs, you need at least a month and they both say that they wish they had done it for a lot longer. So set the bender bag aside, till Christmas maybe.

There is so much to do in grip, it can take up all your time by itself if you let it. Take some time to try these things out. Not everyone tries to close the 4 or bend the red. get to know the different lifts and areas of grip. Go ahead and get yourself another gripper for your Bday those are always fun to play with. I recommend the sledge too, I love levering. Even the wrist roller is a great idea. I would probably just recommend making on instead of buying, but do what suits you.

Remember even with the sledge, roller and gripper; you said you wanted to do the beginners progam. None of those are in there and for good reason. The sledge is actually a little more technical in my opinion, the other two are covered by other lifts. So get those things, play with those things but don't train those things until April or May. At that point your body will be ready (assuming you have been weight training previously, if not I have a whole other rant for you). Then you can establish any of the other training programs with all of our help and blessing.

Good luck to you.

Slow down. I got all frothy just like you about eight months ago when I first started. It's awesome that you have started so well. Unfortunatly you are doing what most of us do and getting ahead f yourself. Your birthday is only a month away, I wouldn't go asking for any bending stuff yet. First, bending is really hard on you, you need to do the gripboard beginner program then the bender beginner program. If you read both programs, you need at least a month and they both say that they wish they had done it for a lot longer. So set the bender bag aside, till Christmas maybe.

There is so much to do in grip, it can take up all your time by itself if you let it. Take some time to try these things out. Not everyone tries to close the 4 or bend the red. get to know the different lifts and areas of grip. Go ahead and get yourself another gripper for your Bday those are always fun to play with. I recommend the sledge too, I love levering. Even the wrist roller is a great idea. I would probably just recommend making on instead of buying, but do what suits you.

Remember even with the sledge, roller and gripper; you said you wanted to do the beginners progam. None of those are in there and for good reason. The sledge is actually a little more technical in my opinion, the other two are covered by other lifts. So get those things, play with those things but don't train those things until April or May. At that point your body will be ready (assuming you have been weight training previously, if not I have a whole other rant for you). Then you can establish any of the other training programs with all of our help and blessing.

Good luck to you.

Where is the bender beginners program? I did a search for it, but your post was the only thing that came up.

Good luck to you.

Thanks Stark, I tend to do that and jump face first into the shallow end. I've trained previously. At 220~ my PR's are 475 lb DL, 400 squat, 300 Bench.... My numbers aren't quite up there now but I"m getting back there.

Check out the Bending forum and the stickied post called "New To Bending". Follow all the links to the Diesel article, Bender's webpage and all the other great pointers. Patience is the ultimate key to Bending in the beginning and when you are a veteran.

Nice numbers by the way. I weigh considerably more but am not lifting all that much better. Your deadlift is the most impressive. I don't have the grip strength to hold a bar that heavy, that's why I started this whole thing.

I can sympathize with "jumping face first into the shallow end". Almost everyone on this board did that the first time they came here. Many of them have more grip toys than they can count. Many people hurt themselves and lose interest. A few fight through it or take the slow approach and those are the few that remain long enough to become icons like Clay Edgin, Eric Milfeld or John Beatty.

Have patience, you will grow.

Welcome to the board.