How do YOU do strapholds?

Bill Piche

Just wondering about this...because it does make a diff in comparing lbs assuming the grippers are about the same.

I squeeze down on the gripper, literally pause at about 1/4" for a second, insert the strap myself with the other hand and then slam it down and pick it up.

I do this too. It's the STOP that is hard to go trough. When you stop, it forces you to work that last little fraction of an inch.

What do you think about taking the tougest gripper you can fully close (for me it is the BBM) and working the close only from 1/4. Close the gripper to 1/4, stop for a count of 2 or 3 and close it fully. Then, go back at 1/4 and repeat as long as you can close it.

Wannagrip,

I do them as you describe.

Tou,

I highly recommend this, as it will give you total mastery over a gripper, and enable you to load up for strapholds.

I do them that way, and I do them where I hold the strap on the handle with my free thumb and then squeeze.

Guest DavidHW

When I work with my primary straphold gripper (an IM No. 2) I do it as Wannagrip describes, although because my strap is somewhat short, I have to pick up the weights with the strap to insert it between the handles when my poundages go over 30 -- over three 10 lb plates and I have no room on my strap (it's looped at one end so I can slip it through easily).

You might say I need a longer strap but that would imply intelligence I don't have. ;-)

David

I do them basically the same way, Wannagrip.  I try to make the movement as fluid as possible but, because I need my other hand to help get the gripper into position, it doesn't always work that way  :blush

BC.

Guest Jeff Roark

I am a rookie on this but here is the way I do them. Its a hybrid form I leaned from Heath and a tip I took from StrongerthanArne. I am using the set the same as Heath, but I am using a small peice of scotch tape to hold it in position until I am mashing away. For those that ask if the tape assists in the hold, no it barely will hold long enough for you to get set and go.