Bruce White

oldtimer

Sadly, Bruce White passed away August 9,2005, just five days short of his 71st birthday. Unfortunately his health had not been good in recent years and became a recluse. He is one of my very favorite grip athletes--in fact he was on the cover of my just published "Strength & Speed" doing a rafter chinup with an extra 70 lb hanging from his waist. Sadly, he died just before he saw himself being honored on my book cover. Most of the information above was supplied to me by Frank Lamp, the driving force behind All-Round Weightlifting in Australia and perhaps the leading organizer of its international competitions. Frank knew Bruce for over 40 years and considered Bruce to be "a good friend and a great ambassador for the Strength Sports."

When one looks at the spectrum of his grip feats--pinch lifts, etc. he had a good claim to being the best grip man ever at 148 lb if not at any bodyweight. He also had dead lifted 611 lb at 148 lb bodyweight raw and definitely without the aid of steroids. The man will be sorely missed.

Bruce White was truly one of the best in our sport. May he rest in peace.

What a great, great shame!

Boy have we lost one of the best ever in this field we enjoy.

Thanks for the info Dale.

David

What a great, great shame!

Boy have we lost one of the best ever in this field we enjoy.

Thanks for the info Dale.

David

yes david he was one of the best in lots of my old mags me and you were just talking about him a couple weeks ago body weight wise he was one of the best pinch grip men in the world he will be missed .

My Lord........heaven has a great gripster.....He was a true inspiration to me...As long as I live his name and deeds will not be forgotten. RS

I wrote to Bruce many times during my time here in Australia. He was always a gentleman and gave me masses of information about his feats and training. I am really sad to hear this. I always intended to get over to Perth (around 5 hours by plane) but just never got round to it. That in itself is a great shame.

No doubt one of the best EVER and a great loss to the Iron Game.

Nick

A true inspiration to us all. No whining, no excuses, just got the job done.

May God bless his soul.

The statements about what Bruce did, and his hand size, inspired me in reaching some pinching goals I doubted I could perform.

Those of you who have some old magazines can find info on Bruce here:

Aug 14, 1934 WHITE, BRUCE Aug 9, 2005 age 70

by Joe Roark

In a letter to me dated Apr 22, 1989 Bruce supplies the following:

taken cold, as a lightweight:

wrist 7.25

palm width 3.75

palm length 4.25

hand length 7.75

finger length 3.50

forearm extended and straight 11.75

bicep flexed 13

HS:

May 28, 1964 p 43 pho deadlift 633 at bodywt 166 and holds world rec

of 611.5 lbs at 148

Feb 2, 1967 p 33 @ Oct 12, 1967 a 632 lb deadlift bodywt 165.25 is

a world rec

LN:

Jan 1959 p 7 @ deadlift 600 as a lightwt

Sep 1961 p 4 @ pho bodywt 148.5 deadlift 611.5

Jan 1962 p 4 24 x 402 in deadlift [ no hook grip or hooks were used ]

Apr 1967 p 10 deadlidt 632 as a midwt

IM:

Jul 1976 p 40 The BW story- Gallasch

Nov 1976 p 30 Pinch Gripping- self

May 1983 p 42 BW- has he the strongest grip?- PR

Mar 1986 p 28 Develop greater size in the arms- self

MD:

Jan 1965 p 14 BW- champ from 'down under'

MB:

Jan 1970 p 43 pho deadlift 611.5 lbs

What a marvelous and fun part of ironhistory he was.

I always intended to get over to Perth (around 5 hours by plane) but just never got round to it. That in itself is a great shame.

This is the most important line. For all: do not lead a life where you wish you had done stuff. Some of the legends of our sport are still with us. Go see them.

This is very sad to hear. I have read so much about Bruce and all of his gripping accomplishments.

The world of grip has truly lost one of the all-time greats. May he rest in peace. :(

Joe,

Thanks for the measurements and references on Bruce. It helps one to appreciate that one does not have to have huge biceps to have phenomenal grip strength as had Bruce.

A bit of a shock to learn about his death. I had planned to visit him sometimes in the next couple of months, after the Sydney competition.

Much too late.

He was indeed 'Real' strong. I read an interview with him in Irongrip magazine and his grip achievements over the years was phenomenal!

God rest his soul,

Digz.