Strapholds quick gains

Guest Jeff Roark

Guest Jeff Roark

I swear in the last 3 weeks I have added a heck of alot of weight to my strapholds. I started doing these on the advice of Heath. I only do the grippers once a week, but here is what I did last night.

COC#1x5, COC#2x5

Strapholds- COC#1 3 max sets with 1 Cat boot with 1 ironboot threaded on. I did all these sets well over 10 seconds each. I then added a second ironboot and held it for 15 second and I let it go.

I am not for sure how much weight this is but I would venture to say it is getting between 15-20lbs. When I can get to doing the 2 ironboots for 3 sets over 10 sec I am going to start using the #2 for holds, I figure when I get to holding the same amount of weight for the 3 sets of 10 sec+ I should be getting mighty close...

and when I do get to that point how should I start adding in the attempts on you know who? Because if I do to much Mr. Numbness creeps in, but thus far he hasn't come a knockin. I think this has been because I have not been trying 50 max attempts everytime I see the #3. Should I just work under the #3 with my BBM for a bit before I make a true attempt, maybe up to a set of 3 reps then try a big one?

I think that you should focus on strap holds with your BBM (if you can do these). It,s tougher to do a strap holds with a tougher gripper and a lighter weight than a strap holds with an easy gripper and a heavy weight.

I can do 40 pounds for 10 seconds with the #1. I can do 10 seconds with 5 lbs on the BBM. Which is tougher ? The latter, by a mile. I'm getting closer on the #3 and I think that I'll close it when I'll do 10 lbs for 10 seconds with my BBM.

Still shooting for september 1st.

BTW, I incorporated block weights in my training. Actually, those are rocks but they are very hard to grip. I have rocks from 25 to 80 pounds. Pinching the 80 is quite a thing. I should try the 2 45's. Maybe I couold do the lift.

Guest Jeff Roark

Tou,

Well I got to get to the point of shutting my BBM again. I have only did it once. Then I had to quit gripping for a bit. I did get it down to about an 1/8 inch away a week or so ago. I have to take it one step at a time I reckon. I beleive I'll move up to the #2 next week though and really setup something so I know how much weight I am using. Also thanks to Heath for showing me the proper method for setting a gripper and to StrongerThanArne(Mikeal) for the peice of tape trick as it make setting up for strapholds easy.

Hello Jeff,Good to hear from you again,great progress on the strapholds! How's your CTS? Obviously you have overcome! I still have not fully recuperated from a tendon strain on my left middle finger but have been making steady progress on the #2 with everyone's help here. Keep up the good work,talk to you later!

JJ