help me grip brothers

Guest hands4god

Guest hands4god

if you guys would be so kind as to help me out here. what i need to know is, when, and what arthe best feats of strength to start doing. this is what i can do.  close #2, lift most chairs by the leg, pinch grip 2 25's, tear about 25 cards in half, (wow, even that is realy hard!) curl one 25 lb plate about three times. what i need  know is things like the potatoe,nail bendig, horseshoe bending, and all that stuff, should i be trying those yet, or should i be closing the #3 and pinchgriping 2 35's before atemting those feats? the reason i ask is so that i know 3 things. #1 so i dont get in over my head and ingure myself, #2 at what strength level are most people when they can start doig those things, and #3 when can i start throwing in some feats of strength?  any advise would help alot! thanx

these things are called feats for a reason, they're incredibly difficult and not many people can perform them.  i think you should try and increase you base strength for the time being.  once you get your hands and wrists fairly strong you can start to concentrate on trying different stunts and impress all your friends  ;)

I agree with underdawg.  :)

Get some time and some grip workouts under your belt before you think about grip stunts.  Then concentrate on mastering ONE feat at a time before moving on to the next one.

If I were to pick one stunt to practice on - it would be steel bending, specifically horseshoes.  Horseshoes work the whole arm, not just the grip.  You must bring all of your muscles into play when bending a difficult horseshoe.  If you're weak in any area, the horseshoe wins.

Guest hands4god

yes i understand the great strength it takes to do theese feats! what im wondering is at what point do you start practicing theese things. like, even though i cant bend a horseshoue now, should i even try and budge one now and then, or should i wait awhile. also at what point would you say one is maybee close to being strong enough to try. example-some one who can atleast close a #3,..? should there be a year of training,.6 months? Syber, could you give me a program you woud do if your goal was to bend a shoe? thanx

hands4god,

Better yet, I'll refer you to our resident steel bender, Tom Black.

Ask him to set up a program for you.  He's into bending nails and other stuff.  He even has a website, called "Big Steel".  Go to the main grippage, and there should be a link to it!  

Hope this helps!!  :)

Guest hands4god

i tried looking for the link. i ust be blind. also looked for bigsteel website but had no luck.  if you can get it id be geatful! thanx agian

you'd want to start out gettin' your hands on some real weak and old horseshoes. bend those and try and work up to some newer looking ones.... you can start trying to do any type of feat at any time. if you want to bend steel - find easy steel and progress up to tuff stuff. Same thing with shoes, frying pans, card tearing, thick handled... you just should not do too much or too many different lifts,your grip can get overtrained just like anything else. stick with a few feats for a while then switch if you want to.

ps. i was able to tear a full deck for the first time last week- a lot more technique to tearing than you would think!!

AP, do you have any tips on tearing cards?  What kind of training methods did you use to accomplish this?  How long did it take you?  When tearing a deck, do you involve the thumbs or just crush the cards between the fingers and palm?  Tearing a deck of cards is one of my long term grip goals and any tips would be much appreciated.   :)

Guest Canthar

As far as the old horseshoes go, I would get my hands on several if possible. Not all shoes are alike. I have a box full and some of the oldest, nastiest looking ones will not budge at all not matter how hard I try. Now I'm not great at bending them or anything, hardly have alot of experience with them, but I've felt some give in some more then others. Bent one to about 1 1/8 in off center this morning which is a first and something that renewed my enthusiasm for it. Bottom line do not judge the strength of the shoe on looks alone..

Nic

ok, card tearing...

this is the way that i do it- i'm sure there are many better tearers than i considering that i can just barely (on a good day) tear a single deck...but here goes.

1. Don't start out with too few cards, you should be able to tear a half deck or close to it the first time... BUT you cannot tear a deck of cards like you would a single piece of paper. Its almost like you need to feel how hard a half deck is and then improvise your technique to tackle it- doing ten cars at a time you'll probly just tear them like you would paper...

2. you need to get a little rip going in all of the cards before you tear them. its hard to explain so I'll try this...

hold a piece of newspaper by any two corners on the same side (not diagonal) facing you. Let the rest of the piece hang down from gravity. Now, slightly, bend the corner in your right hand down and towards you while bending the left corner down and away from you. Now there should be a point in the middle that can't decide whether it wants to go toward you or away from you- this is where the tear will start. Adjust your pressure so that this point is as close to the middle of the paper as you can for max leverage. When you start this little rip in every card you have to focus your pressure on this point. As you will have discovered by trying a half deck, you can't just pinch the deck an pull in every which direction- you need to focus on this spot for leverage.

3. Once you are good at this you should be able to put a little rip in every card (even in a full deck!) without much trouble. From there, you just have to focus and work hard to tear the cards....once i find a technique that makes finishing the cards easier i will post it... good luck!

doesn't really take too long to get up to tearing a deck...it's really not as impressive in my mind as pinching 2 35's(which i can't yet do) or as closing a tough 2(which i can)