Australian Grip Championships

Arthur Antonopoulos

With the competition now almost four weeks away (25th February 2005) I need to finalise the list of competitors.

Currently I have as definites:

Nick McKinless

Mikael Siversson

David Stiff

Mark Hampton

Me

Please reply or PM me if you are coming along so I can pass on the address details or visit

www.aussiestrength.com

and click on agc for all the rules and details.

Looks like it will just be the 5 of us Arthur. It will be nice to meet Mikael though and have a fun day in your garage! I havent done much training for this event so I'm pretty sure David's Pinch record is safe for now...

Nick

Yes, it should be great fun. I have trained hard for two years for this competition so I have absolutely no excuse for doing poorly. I would probably have found it challenging to recharge my batteries if I had competed in the Champion of Champions competition like Nick did. To some extent it will be a battle between Nick's base strength and my peak strength. My greatest asset in competitions is not an almighty base strength but rather a "never miss a workout" attitude.

I have only a rather vague idea of where Mark, Arthur and Dave are strength wise, which may result in a rude awakening for me.

I have a couple of injuries but certainly not more than usual. Overall I am stronger (and fatter) than ever.

Good Luck to all competitors - may it be a PR kind of day all around!

good luck to all! looking forward to the results.

my prediction: Nick wins pinch and OHL, Mikael wins other events and overall. we shall see!

david

My pick is Nick! :D

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting fight it will most certainly be and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

All the weights and equipment have now been weighed on a certified and calibrated scale. I've posted the calibrated weights of the equipment and plates that will be used at the link below for any competitors who are interested in working out what they'd like to use for their lifts in advance of the competition (especially considering how the variances in plates add up on the bigger lifts).

Equipment and Weight Calibration

And for anyone looking at calibrating weights for future competitions, it works out MUCH better and easier hiring the scale for a day :) .

You are setting the standard Arthur.

This will be required by organisers if they want recognition of records set on the Euro standard vbar and pinch.

Post a complete list of the weights and note their nominal weight as well as their real calibrated weight.

Name the company from which you hired the scale or the postoffice where you weighed the plates.

I think Nick has the potential to win, but Mikael will probably be better prepared... it will be an interesting fight.

A bit of an understatement noting that Nick can win this :blink

Just had a look at the top 50 LGC vbar lists and realised that the Swedish vbar records have stood for more than two years now.

They will fall in Sydney and that is a promise. ;)

Hey Mikael,

Just saw your v-bar video and the way you grip your second and third reps are damn amazing. Really looking forward to your performance come Saturday and it's a shame you and Nick won't be able to go head to head at the same time.

And you're fatter than ever??? Looked rather lean to me :)

Thanks Arthur.

I still have not figured out if I should spend time setting the hand or just grab the bar from above on the first rep.

..and yes, I am pretty porky on my own scale of things. I weigh 85k (187lbs) at the moment.