Grippers And Shotputting

asickber

I am helping my old high school track coach a little with the throwing. If I have the kids work a little with the grippers during conditioning will it benefit them? I figure if it strengthen the tendons in the fingers they will be less susceptible to injury. Also it will change things up a little. Also if they have stronger fingers they might be able to put more of a flick on the shot. Can anybody with experience in throwing give me some insight?

I dont have any experience in throwing and this is just my few cents, take it as you want.

Grippers will certainly not make a thrower disadvantaged at throwing, but may not be the most productive of lower arm exericeses. Any training regime thats required in sport has a few core features when it comes to training.

1) exercises that mimic the main movements

2) supplementary movements

As far as throwing goes, it seems to be narrowed down to several areas in lower arm strength:

1) wrist and forearm flexors

2) finger flexion

Exercise to help directly with lower arm:

wrist curls, pinching a weak gripper, hammer curls, standing armwrestle cabel curls, plate curls, chins.

Exercises to help as a supplement:

Wrestle raises to the side, the ab wheel, dragon flags, power cleans, flies, shoulder press

Theres my 2 cents

Military Presses are good, I remember seeing Brian Oldfield on a show on ABC where they pitted professional athletes against each other in a variety of events, one of which was pressing off squat stands. The bar got up to 300lbs and he was repping it. I would think that inclines and squats would be helpfull as well as the other exercises Verdigriz mentioned. For grip, Fat Bastard Barbell makes the Bomb, which is shaped similar to a shot, and it is loadable. Some work with that might be helpfull.

FBBC

Edited by denisbeck

I am helping my old high school track coach a little with the throwing. If I have the kids work a little with the grippers during conditioning will it benefit them? I figure if it strengthen the tendons in the fingers they will be less susceptible to injury. Also it will change things up a little. Also if they have stronger fingers they might be able to put more of a flick on the shot. Can anybody with experience in throwing give me some insight?

Mainly, have them workout with one arm standing exercises when you train with them on upper body workouts. Like one arm chest press with rotation on the cables or lunge rotation with one arm dumbell press. You will have to do exercises that work on the muscles that are used most on the shot put. Plz don't have them use grippers and have them go to the bench press, because never one will help at all. If you are concern with their grip and their forearms, then have them do curls with block weights or use the Formulator. When it comes to throwing some pinch strength and a lot of wrist strength is going to be considered. So all types of wrist curls, whether it be sitting or standing will help. As far as funtional training, the medical ball, db and kb exercises will help most.

Military Presses are good, I remember seeing Brian Oldfield on a show on ABC where they pitted professional athletes against each other in a variety of events, one of which was pressing off squat stands. The bar got up to 300lbs and he was repping it. I would think that inclines and squats would be helpfull as well as the other exercises Verdigriz mentioned. For grip, Fat Bastard Barbell makes the Bomb, which is shaped similar to a shot, and it is loadable. Some work with that might be helpfull.

FBBC

I think this was SuperStars, cool concept if your awake at 3 am. Grippers did NOTHING for my shot, finger tip push ups/plate curl/dynamic block work is all lightyears more practical.

FBBC

I think this was SuperStars, cool concept if your awake at 3 am. Grippers did NOTHING for my shot, finger tip push ups/plate curl/dynamic block work is all lightyears more practical.

Superstars, that was the show. Thanks Darco.