finger rolling.. beneficial? looking for opinions

Rick Browne

Anyone think finger rolling work is of benefit? Anyone work this movement? Has anyone worked this movement?

About 2 weeks ago I had this device made in order to perform isolated finger rolls. Here is the description:

A piece of cold rolled round stock 6 inches diameter x 6 inches long. weight- right at 35 lbs. Welded 1 inch diameter loading pins on the ends for plate loading. Welded a single lat handle, with a revolving sleeve on to the length side of cold rolled.( It looks like a roll of toilet paper with a handle).

I stand in a bent over position, like in a verticle bar lift (kinda) with free hand braced on thigh. My working arm is braced on the inside of the oposite knee with wrist locked. Holding the device where the handle rests at the base of the fingers where  they meet the palm, fingers curled around the handle, I let it roll down to just the first joint. fingers are not quite straight. At this point I roll it back up as quick as I can. The whole movement is quick actually and short range.

I don`t know what the carry over is but it works the fingers pretty good. I made this device up because I couldn`t quite get the movement right using an olympic bar.

Let me know if it is a waste? thanks

• 5 weeks later...
Guest sandfinger

zcor,

why do you use a rolling handle? when i do fingerrolls, i use a olympic bar. With rolling handle, the weight can easy slip off at openhand position, i have no control at this position (rolling down the first finger joint)

The quick movement seems to be good for maximal strength?

I do fingerrolls for building the finger muscles, not for max. strenth (5 -8 rep). An other way to do fingerrolls is the use of an rubber ring. So you can do isolatet fingercurls with only one finger. The rubber ring is a grip-tool for warm up (ca. 8 cm diameter) but i found other good rubber rings in an animal-food shop: rubber rings are Dog-toys

Bigder rings are better for heavy weigth, the force to fingers is smaller when using bigger rings.

The mostz advantage of the rubber ring: you can easy open the finger to a very open position and then curl the finger.

It is better than loops (e.g. eagle loops)

gruesse aus Germany

Sandfinger