Beginner grip program

Guest mattware

Guest mattware

Hi there I am new to this board, I have never really trained my grip but have lifted for many years. I have a COC trainer and a wrist roller and pinchblock, but I have no idea how to set up a program. I train HGstyle two times a week. I would love to have a strong grip as it is affecting my Deadlift. Cheers.

Guest baldy

Hello Matt, glad to have you aboard. It sounds like you have a strong foundation already, and some good tools to start with. If your goal is to assist yourself with holding on to heavy deadlifts you would probably want to concentrate on exercises like deadlift lockouts, thick handled dumbell / Rolling Thunder lifts (if available), or something along those lines. Farmer's walks would be great too. Some people have reported that working with heavy grippers increased their ability to hold a deadlift also.

The best advice I have would be to read all you can here and experiment for yourself. Check out the workout report section, some people have workout logs there that might help. Also, don't hesitate to experiment for yourself. Just because someone says to only train X days a week doesn't mean you can't experiment. Some people here have done really well with some movements training them every day, others can only train once a week. Your recovery is unique to you, so find out for yourself what works for you.

Read the articles under Training on the GripPage. Tom Black has a good one on setting up a routine.