Using plate loading devices to close CoC

Guest sjeff70

Guest sjeff70

Hello all,

I recognize some of you from posts I downloaded some years ago.  Otherwise, I'm new to the board.

I'm new to grip training other than supports in the gym for my deadlifts.  I just got the CoC Trainer a short time ago and I could not close it.

My long term goals are to crush a raw potatoe or burst open a beer.

My question is what do you all think of the Hardy Handshake and is it an acceptable replacement to Kinney's "Secret Weapon"?  Would it be suitable for the Sweep and Hold portions of training?

I'm going to start my grip training by doing one day of penny closes and another day of negatives training with a plate loading device.  I just need to find an acceptable device!

Jeff Schanz

Jeff,

The Hardy Handshake allows you to cheat shut pretty easily and hold a pretty good amount of weight.  You can cheat on it pretty easily by leaning into it, though.  If used properly, it is a decent machine, but not the best plate loading grip machine you can get.  If you are interested,  I have one for sale if you want to buy it.

Steve Weiner

Jeff,

First of all, welcome back!!  Now, to answer your question - in your case, get to closing the Trainer on a regular basis.  Then on to the #1, and then to the #2.  Work with the grippers for now, then move on to grip machines.  You might want to get started with a simple plate-loaded grip machine.  New York Barbells sells one that I like.  The "Secret Weapon" (the Joe Kinney machine) is real good, but I don't recommend it for beginners such as yourself.  It is a "negatives only" type machine, and when you pile on the weight - it really hurts!  The SW made me a believer, and helped me get good enough to close the #3 and get certified.  :)

Here's the link for NYB:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com

Guest sjeff70

Thanks, Steve.  I sent you a message.  

Hey Syber-dude, I recognize you from Old School.  I'm going to look into that device.

Thanks!

Guest hands4god

hey jeff! we havn't met yet, im dave! im impressed by your goals of the potatoe and the beer, cuz that is what i would lke to do one day! well let me tell ya, i just closed my double stamped #2 and was able to hold it for about 6 secounds. last week i tried sqeezing a potatoe,...that thing wasn't going anywear!!!!   i didnt even put dents in it! so i went and sqeezed an apple so i would atleast feel better. i only put dents in it. it takes ALOT of finger strength. well, train hard man, and you will do well.  by the way what is a penny sqeeze?