RiotGrip

Roark

Is there any substance to the claim that the muscle

fibers in the forearms are 'thicker' or 'more dense' than

other muscle fiber found elsewhere in the body, and that

the forearms therefore require different training?

Thanks.

Roark, unfortunately they do not teach us the densities of different muscles in medical school, however I do know that the forearms have on average 50-55% fast twitch muscle fibers.  I can't say for sure but I'd guess thats more fast twitch muscle than the average person would have in his or her quadracep muscles.  A few things I can say about the muscles in the forearms and hands though.  The forearm has many different muscles, that have very different functions, yet can work together.  A Netter anatomy atlas which could be found at your local library goes into detail of all the different muscles found in the foreram.  There are definately more different muscles in the forearm than any other appendage in the body, making it the most diverse muscle group in the body.  another interesting note, there is no muscle tissue in the fingers or thumbs, just tendons and bone.  all of there motions are controled by the forearm and intrinsic muscles of the hand.

Another comment perhaps more relavent to your initial question is that a newborn baby has the strength to support its entire bodyweight with one hand.  That is, if you put your finger across a newborn baby's palm it will reflexively grasp on tight enough so that you can lift him off the ground with him still holding on to you.  To put this into perspective, no newborn baby has the leg strength to come anywhere close to standing or supporting its weight with its legs--a much larger muscle group.  As far as training goes, twenty-rep with heavy weight sets are recomended for and have proven beneficial for many other areas of the body, and I believe this is because intermediate twitch muscle fibers assist more in these muscle groups.  I've heard very few stories of high rep grip/forearm training doing much for maximum strength in the forearms.

On a final note, the field of medicine I plan to practice is Physical medicine and rehabilitation, perhaps I'll learn more about true muscle compasition when I begin my residency. I hope I have given you some insight to the true correct answer to your question