What is a snatch?

MJlifta

I have seen the term "snatch" used several times and i get the impression that it is a lift...and for awhile i assumed that it was the same thing as a clean and jerk but on a recent post someone gave numbers for both lifts as seperate things.  So just what is a snatch, and should i be doing it?

A snatch can refer to a couple of things that I'll refrain from mentioning here, but in regards to lifting check out the link below.

Snatch

Hope this helps.

Arthur

A snatch is to lift the weight from the floor to arm's length overhead in a single movement.  Bending the arms during the pull is allowed, which distinguishes it from a swing.  Squatting or splitting under the weight (to catch it) is also allowed, but the lifter must be standing erect with the weight locked out overhead for the lift to be complete.  This is one of the two Olympic style lifts, and was once competed one-handed as well.

Well from what i have seen from you guys, it is just a clean and press with a fancy name isnt it?  And yes i know the other meaning, i am 16 after all, thats 3rd grade stuff.

Well from what i have seen from you guys, it is just a clean and press with a fancy name isnt it?  And yes i know the other meaning, i am 16 after all, thats 3rd grade stuff.

:D

Study the page about the snatch by J.V.Askem. The URL was posted by Arthur earlier. The snatch is not a clean nor a press of any kind.

Do not ask an American, "how big is your snatch" as you would say, "how big is your bench". Americans tend to be much more proud of lifting while laying on the back. Snatching is much more athletic so an American may consider "snatch" to be fighting words.

No, a clean and a press means you lift the weight to your chest in one clean movement, then in a second movement, press it overhead.  A snatch must be pulled all the way to arm's length overhead in one move, and there is no pressing allowed.  So, in a press, you push the weight up with the arms and in a snatch, you pull it overhead.  There used to be some film of this at the International Weightlifting website.

No, a clean and a press means you lift the weight to your chest in one clean movement, then in a second movement, press it overhead.  A snatch must be pulled all the way to arm's length overhead in one move, and there is no pressing allowed.  So, in a press, you push the weight up with the arms and in a snatch, you pull it overhead.  

Thanks for clearing that up, I guess I didnt look at the pictures in the link above well enough, now I see.  And oh by the way, to the presumably aussie in the audience, maybe the reason your attacking the bench press is that you know this mere american can do more than you in it? at 16?!?!

Lighten up. I am an American and was simply making a joke. For what it is worth, I have yet to see anyone in the gym where I train do bench press lockouts with more weight than I can clean and press. I can bench press a vulgar amount of weight but I prefer to do the overhead lifts.

I believe it was Hermann Goerner; who said, he judged a mans` strength by: How much weight he could lift from the floor, how much weight he could carry, and how much weight he could put over his head.

Slam away Joe Roark if I am wrong on this statement. :)

Thanks baldy, I remember I kind of skimmed through Justas`book that belonged to a friend of mine and I guess that statement was what stuck..  Just never got around to getting a copy.