Whats a Good Deadlift

Guest Youngguy

We will need body weight and other physical proportions in order to give a useful estimate for deadlift potential. I personally do not recommend lifting maximum weights at the age of 14. You can still train heavy and do it safely without maxing out.

How much do you weigh, how tall are you, how long have you been training for, for how long have you been training for the deadlift, etc??

Forget maxes at your age.  Time to work on your technique and form though...

Wow!  Three posts almost at the exact same time. No one had posted and BAM..all three of us posted at once.

i'd say 150% bw is a good start, but make sure to keep your form perfect.  don't get over-zealous and try to start piling on the iron.  now's the time to get all the technical crap engrained in your head so that when you start to get really heavy good technique is second nature.

Miss Jenna (who has gone into olympic lifting with a 200 snatch, 240 clean and jerk @ 15 years old. She deadlifted for three reps 405 (age group world record  then was 396) when she was only 14. I pulled my first 400 the day before my 13th birthday. RS

Guest 115-1005574997

so what can you deadlift at the moment youngguy?

realistically you need to be 400lb+ already if you have aspirations of a 800lb deadlift one day.

How’s the other grip training coming on?  Oliver Horne was doing fairly easy singles in the 1HPG with 30kg (66lbs) the other day.  How’s your wrist strength?

Guest Youngguy

I dont know what is considered a athentic deadlift. Meaning, should the bar be placed above the floor befor the lift? Ya know Im courious on that, how far off the floor should the bar be. I lifted 300lbs, but the bar was only slighty off the ground because of the plates. Is this how it is done or should the bar be higher. Help me here, im confused on this part.

I dont know much on deadlifts, thats why I ask. My best feat of body strength is the bycep curl. So far I can curl 100lbs or more.

Does your coach know about deadlifts?  I would ask him, if he doesn't know I would get another coach.

Does your coach know about deadlifts?  I would ask him, if he doesn't know I would get another coach.

I agree with Pat.

Also, since it was brought up today, ask him about the snatch. If he sends you to the biology teacher then you should definitely seek another coach. If the biology teacher is a weightlifter, you may have a new coach.

Hia Youngguy

thought this link may help.  it also shows what you will need to do in a few years if you have designs on being the next WSM

vince anello with 800lbs

http://www.mcshane-enterprises.com/ASL/images/Anello/800.jpg

Actually, 750 will do if you are 6'6 and 280-300 lbs, very athletic, and fast. ;)

Although I was watching a Brit called Stumpy at 5'3" qualify for the WSM finals two nights ago!

Yeah Bill, very awesome indeed, but he cheated on the Husafell stone.  I think he's taller laying on his side.

Guest baldy

Ease up on Mr Raines now Pat, just because he looked around nervously as he crammed that big ring down his pants after he completed the carry doesn't mean he cheated. :)

Tim, let me rephrase that, he "improvised".  I have to say I was seriously impressed with Stumpy's performance, especially on the Atlas stones.  There was no complaining, just a Pitbull type determination.  You know, if all of the equipment was sized for each competitor, I think he would have cleaned up.

I have had many American strongmen tell me that a 500 squat and a 500 dead is all you need strength wise.

WSM goes far beyond brute strength. Heck, I thought I read once that Phisters best squat was 550? and his dead was around 600?

Rick Walker :hehe

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies for bringing up an old and slightly off-the point topic, but I wanted to say a few words about Stumpy's performance on the WSM. I too thought "What the ####?" when I saw him use the ring on the Husafell Stone - however, it was obvious to anyone who watched, so I assumed that the Referees must have allowed him to use it because of his height.

By the way, Stumpy was a very sucessful bodybuilder (Class 4 NABBA Mr Universe, I believe), and I wander what he could have lifted on the Deadlift as 350kg seemed reasonably easy for him (although, if memory serves, he used straps? I shall have to try and find the video...). A very awesome weightman.

Chris McCarthy