Can you?

Hercules

I fall about 50 lbs short on the DL (don't work full range much) but have the pull-ups no problem. The last time a tried a full DL I maxed out at 390 lbs. I weigh 150 lbs so I would need 450 for the triple (that would be hard for me to do!). I have done as many as 39 consecutive pull-ups a couple years ago during a comp at a gym where I workout.

I'll never be able to do 20 consecutive chins. But I will get the 3x bw deadlift one of these days. My current max are 535 (regular style) and 585 (sumo style), all raw. I weight 210. My deadlift is going trough the roof since I do it twice a week. In fact, I get new PR each workout since a month. Tomorrow, I'll try 550. I'd like to pull 600 raw by christmas.

Guest RobbyTooSlobby

Thats impressive Tou!!!

I think I would give up being able to do 25 to 30 chins for a deadlift as big as that. :0

Although i am in love with my towel chinups right now.   :D

Guest StrongerthanArne

I did a tripple body weight deadlift last year at an IPF sanctioned PL meet. I lifted 265 kg regular style at 88 kg bb.

A few years ago I pulled 275kg at around 87kg bodyweight. I also pulled a 272.5kg deadlift at about 90kg using a very wide grip (David Horne will remember this lift as he was there with Duncan More). At that time I could also do 20-25 chins no problem.

I now weigh about 95-100kg so I need a 300kg deadlift. It will come but not this year as my back is constantly recovering from injuries - mainly sustained from my job. I can still do 20 chins though.

Incidentally I have never used a belt for my lifting and I still feel it is unnecessary.

Nick

Guest Jeff Roark

I could almost do it back in 1998 upon discharge from the Marine Corps. I weighed 173lbs and I deadlifted 510x1 and did 24 dead hang chins. I also at that time could do over 40 chins using the "kipping" method. The Marine Corps changed the standards on the chins in 97-98 so each rep had to be a complete deadhang with the body straight, no momentum. I can't do it right now, but I am well on my way towards that fine mark.

Guest 77-1005097254

I have a best deadlift of 280kg at 93kg done at a gym. Have done a little more at my home gym at a higher bodyweight but i don't really count it as a PB. I have pulled 272.5kg(600Ibs) many times. ( All done with just a belt ).

A few years back i did chins for a while and got up to 17 reps strict, with palms facing away.

Your achivements are amazing, I admire you guys who can handle their body weights and still can deadlift huge weights!

I have no problem with the chins but I can only double my body weight in the deadlift.  :(

I suffer from hemorroidas (did I spell correctly??) which doesn't allow me to train neither the squat or the deadlift... Does anyone here suffers from the same? How did you delt with it? Surgery?

Thanks for your input!

Guest 115-1005574997

Nick

Great to see your training hard and not just surfing and sunbathing.  I am personally more impressed with 20+ chins at a b/w of 100kg than a 300kg deadlift!

I think you would have enjoyed Saturdays workout, especially the 20 and 50 rep squats :)

Dave emailed me the training session where you superglued your split finger and then lost skin on the other hand but still finished the workout.  Inspiring stuff mate.  Pity Sydney isn’t a bit closer to Stafford!

I’ve unsuccessfully tried to persuade Dave to go gritstone bouldering with me sometime (ive got to get my own back somehow) the offers open next year if you like?! :)

Hercules

I'd be amazed if there were more than 10 people in the world that could do 3times b/w deadlifts and 20+ chins.

Guest skroah

Yeah gritstone is pretty nice especially a nice cool day. We actually have some gritstone in the U.S. in western pa and at coopers rock, west virginia. The gritstone bouldering in coopers is excellent. Man I miss it.

SKroah

Guest 115-1005574997

Michael / Jeff

I am amazed.  :0

Those lifts and chins are just mind blowing. well done.

Eliz

I think Dave would love it once he was there and youd do really well.  The key is to push with your legs rather than pull with your hands.  The Roaches have some of the best problems in the country and as Jims almost a professional compared to the rest of us, it would be a laugh.

Skroah

Good fun isnt it :)

Now that my body weight is down to 210, a triple bodyweight pull (630) is no problem. Check my website for a pic of a 600 I pulled cold, and held for 30+ seconds.  God graced me with a strong back and long arms.

I can also do 20 pullups anystyle (palms out, in, palms facing one another).  My best pull-up record is 5 with 60 pounds chained to me when I weighed 230.

The lighter I get, the better I PULL (both ways)

Rick Walker :hehe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Luke Reimer

I've been hitting pullups hard these last few months.  Current

best is 29 deadhang chins, weighing about 205#.  Earlier I

was up to 39 using incomplete elbow extention and a sort of

bouncy, pliometric rhythm (and at a little heavier bodyweight),

but I had to try stricter form after reading Jeff Roarks post

about military standards.  Fun thread!

Oh, yeah, I don't train deadlift.  Yet.  

Cheers,

Luke

Guest Szaz

The last time I tried for a max set of chins I was able to grind out 28 good reps, but I haven't done that in a while. The latest efforts have been 1.5x BW chins, and I manage to squeeze out 10 of those on a good day followed by maybe 6 painfully slow BW chins. My max deadlift is a raw sumo of 445 at 160, and I don't think that's going up any time soon since I've been working more on a clean form rather than PRs.

I'd bet there are a lot of people out there who can do the 3x BW DL and 20+ chins, or at least some non-specific equivalent.