Levering

Muscle Turtle

I tried real levering for the first time tonight, attempted a 3 lber... Well first off, I couldnt get the hammer half way to my face before my wrist tightened up, I took my pinky and ring finger off and it almsot made it to my head... is this usual for beginners? No way was it anywhere close ... Then I tried it with my strong wrist, I had to do the same thing but once I put it in my first two fingers I was able to get it down, and I felt crazy pain shoot from the tip of my thumb all the way up to my elbow...

some tips would be greatfull. :help

How long was the handle? Sounds like you have some flexability issues. It does get easier...

Do you bend DO or DU? I think you bend Double Overhand which means your front lever is super strong but back lever (levering to face) is not as strong...

The pinky/ring thing is wierd, never tried but i don't tink it would help me.

I do bend double over hand, I have only done leveringn to help my bending a couple times and thought I would try the competition type levering that I seen in pics, and that is what happened...

the handle was just a regular sledge hammer handle, so whatever they come in usually.

You could try doing your levers to the rear, instead of overhead. With a rear lever you will need to generate the most force when your wrist is straight. You only need to lower the sledge as close to the ground as you feel comfortable with. Working into a decent rear lever should allow you to build up the flexibility and strength you need for the overhead lever.

Here's a description of what the heck I'm talking about when I say rear lever, I don't know what other guys call it:

http://www.gripfaq.com/Forearm_Strength_Exercises/#LEVERREAR

I have the same flexability problem with levering "to the face". Doesn't feel good and hasn't gotten any better. I abandoned this movement and do front and rear levering with the arm hanging at my side. Maybe not as cool of a feat, but much better for training purposes IMO.

Anyone do supination levering to the left and right? I just mention tis because it gives a real good stretch especially if you use a light weight and try to control it down as far as possible., my 2 cents

thanks rying! I think that is the answer Im looking for.. haha just cut er out!

some movments and I just werent ment to be!

thanks rying! I think that is the answer Im looking for.. haha just cut er out!

some movments and I just werent ment to be!

I know aht ya mean, not grip related but i get bad pain in my front delts any time i try upright rows, i just cant do them and i have had no delt injuries..out to the dumpster :angry:

i had the same problem, when i first started. i started out with a small ROM and then increased it each workout, after that, i was able to do a full ROM. you should give that a try, if u haven't done so.