Beginner's Question

EinZweiDrei

What is the major difference between square and round stocks of the same length and approximate width? Obviously, the same diameter stock in round is going to be easier than its square counterpart, since there's less surface area on that plane. But, given two pieces of steel of the same type, weight, length, and surface area on the ends, one round, one square, what's the difference?

I tried the FBBC 3/16 x 7" square stock today [Gripmas], as my first ever square stock attempt. Maybe it was just my hands today, maybe I wasn't gauging it correctly, or maybe, and here's where my inexperience comes in, it was the square shape of the stock, but in fifteen minutes of on-and-off tries, I got only a pretty-decent dent in the thing. It really felt like I should have been able to do that length and width, though, as I was coming off of a few days' rest. Right now I can kill an IM green nail in a minute or so on a good day, just as a gauge of where I am.

So, was this just a bad day for me, an over-zealous attempt [i only gauge difficulty by appearance, which is a fuzzy sort of thing], or the nature of square stock in general?

Thanks, all, for your time.

Check out Erics calibration results:

Calibrated stock

3/16" square is 50% harder than 3/16" round.

Check out Erics calibration results:

Calibrated stock

3/16" square is 50% harder than 3/16" round.

Yeah, I printed that out after my frustrations with the square stock. Very useful, and definitely de-mystified the Bender's Bag.

By the by, if it's not too much trouble, what are the pound ratings for the IronMind nails (since I'm aiming to jump the Red bandwagon some day)?