Grip Training W/arthritis

Biggerfoot

I have arthritis in my left thumb and it effects my grip, especially with heavy dead lifts and trap bar shrugs (I have to use hooks to get to the heavy weights).

I was wondering what type of grip exercises I could do that does not involve my thumb very much.

If I had to chose, would grippers or a grip machine be best?

Biggerfoot- welcome first of all. Secondly, I, too, have arthritis in the bases of both thumbs, and it affects my gripping. Aggravating bone-on-bone pain if I really work pinch gripping a lot. Grippers don't seem to involve that area as much, so they don't make me hurt as much. Plate gripping is a big offender, but I love to do it. You just have to experiment around to find what works, and what makes you hurt. I actually stay more limber and hurt less if I keep a steady workout pattern.

John Scribner

wrist curls and reverse wrist curls would help u, they do not affect the thumbs at all.

Crushing gripping movements are supposed to be relatively thumbless, so perhaps regular grippers, grip machines, etc. might work for you. For supporting grip (deadlifting, shrugs, etc.) perhaps you might use a thumbless grip plus straps??? Also, some people around here like to lift thick bars, Rollling Thunder revolving handles, etc. with thumbless grips, just squeezing really really hard with their hand pads & fingers.

wrist curls and reverse wrist curls would help u, they do not affect the thumbs at all.

The Formulator!

I actually ordered one, it's on the way. I have to say, I'm excited. It looks truly effective. And its key feature is that it completely removes the thumb from wrist curls/reverse wrist curls, & levering!

Thanks all for the help and replies.

I have several Pro-Style dumbbell handles that I am adding thicker grips to.

I do do barbell wrist curls and was thinking of a wrist roller.

After reading about the Beef Builder Grip Machine over the $85 New York Barbell one, I am pretty much sold on grabbing one in the next week.

Since I am a sucker for gadgets, the more the better!

The next question I have is since I have about $125 to spend, would it be better to:

1. Get the Beef Builder Grip Machine or

2. Get the $85 New Your Barbell Grip Machine and several grippers or

3. A full set of grippers (I saw the Heavy Grip 5 pack with the Heavy Handle dumbbells for $95).

I just made a wrist roller out of an old row bar and cable...seems to work well for a start.

I looked at the The Formulator and it looked quite interesting. Would that be better that the items above?

Thanks!

Edited by Biggerfoot

The Formulator is great for gaining wrist strength. There are some home made one's on the board I believe Rick Walker has one in his gallery.