Pinch Grip

youngun

Here's a scenario:

You can close a #3 and can pinch grip 2 regular 35's.  Working hard you progress to closing a #4.  If your pinch grip progression is the same, how much can you pinch now?

My answer:  it depends on the individual.

My pinch grip sucks, and I don't work on it like I do my crushing grip.  I can pinch two 35 pound plates.... (yawn).

Since crushing and pinching are two different things, you can't pin a number.  Although, if you could close a #4, I would safely say you could pinch two 45 pound plates.  :)

If your working on closing #4 you should be pinch'in at least 45's, I think.  I can close the #2, and am working on #3, and I can pinch 2 35's easily and will be able to pinch 2 45's in a couple months.

Like it was already said, it depends on the individual.

If your thumb is weak you won't pinch much at all.

I thinking he was asking something to the effect of, what is the pinch grip equivalent of a #4 close. My answer, one man has closed a #4, one man has pinched 140lbs (I can't remember DH's exact amt.). Therefore, a one hand pinch of 140(+) lbs would be something for you to shoot for if you want your pinch to progress evenly with your crush and you are aiming for the #4.

Guest RobbyTooSlobby

140 pounds is a lot of weight.  But i think that the popularity of the grippers makes the feats done with the grippers a bigger accomplishment.  

My point is that although pinching 140 is amazing, it might only be as amazing as closing the #3.  I would say that if more people worked on thier pinch like they do thier crush then a pinch of 200 lbs would be about the equal of closing the #4.

Just a thought. :blush

I believe that it took David many years to build his pinch lift up to his current level and if you asked him if he worked harder at closing the #3 or building his pinch lift up he would say he has worked harder at his pinching.   You are right, the grippers are more popular today, especially on this board.  I believe that it’s easier to make progression on the grippers than it is with pinch lifting.  For example, as soon as you work out how to set a gripper your gains increase significantly - this is something people pick up pretty quick and they think ‘hey I’ve got loads stronger really quickly’.  In reality they have just worked out how to use their crushing strength efficiently with a gripper.  Pinching is somewhat different and it takes more time and effort to make gains.  This time last year I had never touched a CoC gripper.  By October I had closed a #3 and a month or so ago I managed to close David’s PDA 520 gripper (while assisting my wrist).  In this time I have worked on my pinch lift on a weekly basis and have made little gains when compared to my crushing progress.  IMHO pinching 2 45lb plates is easily as great an accomplishment as closing a #3.  To build your pinch lift up to the point that David has is a far greater accomplishment than closing a #3 – purely for the amount of hard work and time that has to be put in.

Guest 115-1005574997

Robby

How many people can 1 HPG 145lbs (65kg)?  I'll rephrase that, list the number of people in history that have 1HPG 145lbs

Now list the number of people that have shut a #3.

Another question.  How many people on this board can pinch chin?  How many can pinch chin at a bw of 220+lbs.

Im simply trying to put things into perspective and illistrate that a 145lb 1HPG and a 255lb 2HPG are more on par with a #4 or 540+PI PDA gripper.

Jim is correct IMO that crushing strength and pinch strength are as individual as squating and deadlifting.  You cant compair the two, and as a lift its far more demanding, far harder and takes for longer to progress.

Its also worth remembering that David doesnt just use a gripper or just pinch, he holds unofficial World and British records such as 335kg one hand lift which surpassed Herman Georners long standing World record. A 228kg vertical bar lift, a 190kg middle finger hack lift, a 7.5kg weaver stick to rear, a 25kg plate curl a 520PI PDA gripper. Nearly all of these records have been performed during Iron Grip competitions or organised records days using standard equipment under official conditions.  And as you know, thats a loft different than competing in your home guym on your own with no pressure.

Another interesting point raised by Jim was competition.  David hasnt had much peer pressure and now Jim himself is matching Davids 1" v bar lifting, davids raising his game and both will be resetting the bench mark in a few months time.  As soon as Jim (or someone else) begins to match Davids pinch lifting strength, the barriers will be pushed further forward and in a year or twos time, 160lb 1HPG and 270lb 2HPG will be the new records.  And remember Dave is nearer 40 than 30 years of age.

Thanks for the kind words.

I'd have to say that these events are very different, and in fact it's very hard to correlate between any events, as certain bodytypes suit certain lifts. You do not use your thumb on the CoC grippers. Never more was this illustrated than when I snapped the ligament in my thumb in December 2000. I couldn't even pinch lift a toilet roll after this, but could still use the grippers and got certified 3 months later at the OHF dinner. At that time I think I'd built my right hand pinch back up to about 30k.

David

Guest RobbyTooSlobby

LOL  ok ok bad example...a simple "wrong" would have done. :D  :D

I meant NO disrespect to you David.  140 is incredible!!!  I shouldn't have compared the two lifts.  My only point was that on this forum it seems that a LOT more people seem to be focused on the coc rather than pinching.  

:crazy my face while attempting a 140 pinch and tearing my skin off my thumb and fingers  :crazy

Guest mikebyoung

I am very new at this, but I have already discovered the 2 pinches are very different. My crushing grip in my right hand is much stronger than in my left. Although I can pinch lift more in my left than in my right.

I won't give you the actual weights...you'd laugh. Imagining David pinching 140 makes me just want to go back to bed...lol.

Guest gripbeast

What other grip feats do you guys consider to equal to closing a #3? or even a #4?

95Kg on the rolling thunder?

7kg on a weaver stick?

90kg deadlift with 2" dumbbell?

??kg Pinch lift?

What do you think?