Weight Gain For Grip

EricMilfeld

I've always considered gripping to be the "Great Equalizer". It tends to provide a fairly level playing field for guys of all sizes. Well, two weeks ago I started eating to gain weight for an upcoming deadlift contest, and figured it might help my grip training perhaps slightly. Boy was I wrong. With no change in my training I've improved my 2.5" rotating handle deadlift by 12.5 pounds per hand, my two hand plate pinch by 10 pounds, and by best best ever bend by 1/4". Anyone else experience similar results, or perhaps no results at all by weight gain? By the way, I've gained 10 pounds so far, with 20 more to go. It's really pretty exciting!

If I had to guess I would say the result you are getting has more to do with better recovery (including caloric recovery) and a change in mindset. I would imagine your feeling a bit more competitive in general and are pushing harder. I find that sme days a certain weight feels lighter than air and know that the next time I will just blow that weight away. The next time I fight, sweat and spit my waythrough t find out I never added any weight.

If I had to guess I would say the result you are getting has more to do with better recovery (including caloric recovery) and a change in mindset. I would imagine your feeling a bit more competitive in general and are pushing harder. I find that sme days a certain weight feels lighter than air and know that the next time I will just blow that weight away. The next time I fight, sweat and spit my waythrough t find out I never added any weight.

Michael, no doubt, this would definitely account for some of my recent progress. I guess the short of it is, though, if you put only one solid pound of muscle on your forearms your grip will skyrocket. Also, having stronger arms in general can allow you to assume a more advantageous lifting position for lifts like thickbar and pinching. I notice I can pinch and grab thick bars much better when I bend my elbow. And having the muscle to cock your wrist helps immensely. Who knows, maybe I wasn't getting enough protein before. But my lifting was sure in a rut.

This is interesting and I have some experience with this in reverse. I use to weigh about 107 kg and and had a deadlift of 170 kg after only a few months of training, not a huge dead, but not bad for a newbie. Then I decided to lose some blubber, I went down to 87kg within 12 weeks..note that i wasnt working out in this time because of money issues, but next time i went to the gym in the space of 3 months i couldnt even dead 130kg. Now Im one of those guys that once I get to A weight in a lift, even if i dont work at it for ages, im not far off my best by 10kg depending on the lift. So I knew that with the blubber I must of had to have lost muscle as well, plus losing 20 kg in 12 weeks and it being just fat is extremely unlikely.

I think that being in a positive calorie balance is going to do more to promote strength gains in everything, muscle is whats makes you strong and losing weight and expecting to get significantly stronger for a period is a long shot, though genetics determines where in the spectrum of recovery, muscle growth, caloric ability anyone is..oh and what lifestyle you have :cool

I think that a quick gain in weight will yield some fast strength gains. Every year when I come out of my "wrestling" weight I'll jump up an easy 20lbs minimum. Off season practices I feel unbelievable strong compared during season. This is despite eating clean during season and maintaining a strict diet and going from that right to wendy's and taco bell all the time, lol.

Food for me has a direct relationship for strength. I need alot of food + fluids to put forth the best. I think that simply maintaining your weight, ie getting the minimum amount of calories, protein, carbs, etc.... will yield results but not as fast as if you had an abundance, ie more than the required amount of protein to grow etc.... I've never really gauged grip progress between the times but on the mat there is a HUGE difference in strength shooting up in weight in a matter of days. I know some of it can be attributed to leverage and more mass moving my way but there is some definite strength gains it feels like.

The only thing that sucks putting on weight is my wind goes right down the tubes. I can always feel that extra weight running and other stuff. But since you're going for a PR in DL I say put the weight right to you. Once your done you can begin to shed the excess water/fat down to a reasonable BF% and then spike back up.

I'm already heavy, but I did notice my grip going up, when I went from 180lbs to 300lbs in HS. I was like, man, I can carry all this with my barehands, sweet.

I've gained 10 pounds so far, with 20 more to go.  It's really pretty exciting!

You're excited because you're gaining weight? May I just say, on behalf of all the husky gentlemen on this forum: "Bastard"! :flame

P.s. Nice PR's, and good luck in the comp.

Edited by twig

I've gained 10 pounds so far, with 20 more to go.  It's really pretty exciting!

You're excited because you're gaining weight? May I just say, on behalf of all the husky gentlemen on this forum: "Bastard"! :flame

P.s. Nice PR's, and good luck in the comp.

That's "Grand Bastard"!

:laugh

And thank you. :)