Plates Vs The Blob

Kayum

I'm not a far of pinching 2 x 25lb plates, is this the same as lifting a 50lb blob?.....i know it sounds like a dumb question, but from flicking over this site and seeing mentions of people like Richard Sorin and others lifting the 50lb blob....I get the impression that it's a feat within itself, but i'm not far off a 50lb plate pinch.....i don't get it??? :mellow

The plates are much thinner. Measure the distance your fingers actually have to spread over the sides of 2 plates, vs. over one half of a blob. With 2 plates the distance is much smaller, so your fingers, by physics, have a clear mechanical advantage. Having to spread fingers out over many more inches, takes away almost all this mechanical advantage. It's damn near impossible, I can tell, and I've never even seen a Blob in real life.

I pinched 2 45's over a year before I made a full pull on the Blob. It's a whole different ballgame.

I picked the Blob up before I did 2 45's, It varies person to person

I'm not a far of pinching 2 x 25lb plates, is this the same as lifting a 50lb blob?.....i know it sounds like a dumb question, but from flicking over this site and seeing mentions of people like Richard Sorin and others lifting the 50lb blob....I get the impression that it's a feat within itself, but i'm not far off a 50lb plate pinch.....i don't get it??? :mellow

[/quote

The blob is much wider and the sides slope and that is what turns it into a much harder lift then say 2 25s because they are thin and have a sharp edge and flat sides. 2 45s is a more comparable lift to the blob then 2 25s as far as difficulty level.

How would everyone rate the differences between 5 10 lbs plates and the blob?

Personally I think the 5 10 lbs plates are much easier but I'd like to hear everyone else's opinion.

Vlad i agree with you.

I got five 10's easy and felt six was a possibility at the GG.

I can't even get the 47.5 blob i have off the ground.

Two diffrent animals IMO.

Vlad i agree with you.

I got five 10's easy and felt six was a possibility at the GG.

I can't even get the 47.5 blob i have off the ground.

Two diffrent animals IMO.

some of the old 47.5 blobs are the older round ones and harder to grip i had a 50 blob and i got about 6 to 12 inches air to it but none to the 47.5 it looks like a pumpkin :)

It seems like you guys are on the money as to describing the difference and difficulty of the Blob 50 to pinching large or multiple plates. 2 25s pinch is not close to a Blob, pinching 2 45s is in the ball park but seems somewhat easier as well. 6 tens to me was right at equal. My quest to get 5 tens with one finger and thumb seems to be on the same difficulty level to me as when I first lifted the Blob in the early 80s(but may be a better feat). 6 tens with 2 fingers and thumb may be my next goal................It makes me proud that the Blob has caught on so well ...there are companies approaching me to start producing replicas and it seems every Pro football team we work with get around to asking me to round up some for them as well.RS

I have cleaned the blob right and left hands, I have lifted the original blob, never have I pulled 45's. 6 10's to me was harder than the blob. Like Eli, to me 45's are harder than the blob. 3-25's are about the same as a blob.

I tried 5 10's once and did it pretty easily either hand. I also pinched some standard 35's and made about 10 passes around my body but when I tried the 50 blob it went nowhere. I did do 42.5 pretty easy at the nos3 which was more like 5 10's if not easier.

Blob was easier for me by far. Two 45s still won't move - 5-10s are harder than the Blob as well and 3-25s were comparable to 5-10s for me. Six tens - well - a long way to go.

i'm close to getting 6 10's and the blob. to me they seem equal in comparison to difficulty. 5 10's is easy and a 50lb block is harder to me than 5 10's.