How Much Does A Blob Weigh

TelegraphKey

I gather a Blob is just the hexagon-shaped end of a solid fixed-weight dumbell. The gym I go to has these up to 100 lbs, and, Happy Day!, I noticed a broken one on the gym floor the other day. It was a 65-lb dumbell that broke in 2, one just the end alone (the Blob), the other with the end & the handle still attached.

Now, assuming the db weighed more or less exactly 65 lb, how much, exactly, does just the one end without the handle weight? The handle must weight something. I guess it weighs about 2-3 lbs, so that means the ends total 62 lbs, which means the broken end, the Blob, is a 31 lb Blob.

Is this about right?

(My grip was fried right when I noticed it. Next time I go back I'll try to lift if fresh. Don't know...) :help

That's a blockweight.

A blob would be the head off one of the old York dumbbells (not a hex, more rounded).

The weights on those dumbbells aren't exact, so if you really wanted to know how much the head weighs, you should weigh it. It could be 31 lbs, but I'm guessing that's it's a bit more than that.

I gather a Blob is just the hexagon-shaped end of a solid fixed-weight dumbell.  The gym I go to has these up to 100 lbs, and, Happy Day!, I noticed a broken one on the gym floor the other day.  It was a 65-lb dumbell that broke in 2, one just the end alone (the Blob), the other with the end & the handle still attached.

Now, assuming the db weighed more or less exactly 65 lb, how much, exactly, does just the one end without the handle weight?  The handle must weight something.  I guess it weighs about 2-3 lbs, so that means the ends total 62 lbs, which means the broken end, the Blob, is a 31 lb Blob.

Is this about right?

(My grip was fried right when I noticed it.  Next time I go back I'll try to lift if fresh.  Don't know...) :help

Cold roll steel round stock is weighed by the inch. A 1 inch diameter round stock has the weight value of .223 lbs. per inch. Measure the handle length x .223,

subtract that weight from 65, divide that # by 2. You can get a rough estimate.

Or do like everybody else and weigh it on a scale. :)

Excellent. .223 X length for 1" diameter. Or, yes, weigh it. I will remember that! Thanks.

If that works here, then the handle must not weigh much more than 1 lb.

Thanks for pointing out the difference btwn. Blob & blockweight. I suppose there's no easy way for me to get ahold of a Blob around where I live other than ordering one & paying for shipping, etc.

Edited by TelegraphKey

I gather a Blob is just the hexagon-shaped end of a solid fixed-weight dumbell.  The gym I go to has these up to 100 lbs, and, Happy Day!, I noticed a broken one on the gym floor the other day.  It was a 65-lb dumbell that broke in 2, one just the end alone (the Blob), the other with the end & the handle still attached.

Now, assuming the db weighed more or less exactly 65 lb, how much, exactly, does just the one end without the handle weight?  The handle must weight something.  I guess it weighs about 2-3 lbs, so that means the ends total 62 lbs, which means the broken end, the Blob, is a 31 lb Blob.

Is this about right?

(My grip was fried right when I noticed it.  Next time I go back I'll try to lift if fresh.  Don't know...) :help

make sure you ask the owner if you can have it or buy it and dont cut the other end you can do flips and catches with it

make sure you ask the owner  if you can have it or buy it and dont cut the other end you can do flips and catches with it

Whoa, cool. You mean toss it up, flip it, then catch the handle? Wow, that sounds nasty

Excellent.  .223 X length for 1" diameter.  Or, yes, weigh it.  I will remember that!  Thanks.

If that works here, then the handle must not weigh much more than 1 lb.

Thanks for pointing out the difference btwn. Blob & blockweight.  I suppose there's no easy way for me to get ahold of a Blob around where I live other than ordering one & paying for shipping, etc.

The handle of course extends into the head, but that length would be insignificant

to the final head weight. Maybe just a few ounces thats all.

i think the first blob weighed in at 52.5 lbs!

make sure you ask the owner  if you can have it or buy it and dont cut the other end you can do flips and catches with it

Whoa, cool. You mean toss it up, flip it, then catch the handle? Wow, that sounds nasty

yes after you get it sand the handle so its not sharp helps work your grip . yes its in one of the mag i got but they don't deserve any recognition they don't care about us anyway. well i have been doing this for years and and have asked people who have bought blobs from me 9 months ago if they wanted the handle left on for that reason . good for wrist work to :D also good to do finger work on