The perfect gripper between a #2 and a #3

Guest StrongerthanArne

Wanna,

I'm merely pointing out that, to Strossen, a gripper is a gripper is a gripper.  Whether it is double-stamped, single-stamped or triple-stamped; means not a thing to him.  Hey, we are the consumers - and we buy the product, so tell us exactly WHAT were buying.

Suppose it's lunch.  You tell me you want pizza, and I instead bring you a cheeseburger.  You quickly discover that that is NOT what you ordered in the first place, and that you don't want it.  I then tell you, "Hey, it's food - just eat it".  Would you put up with that??  Of course not.

If you wanted a gripper harder than your #1, and you order a #2 - what you might get is that "cheeseburger".  Uh oh, don't tell me that your unhappy!  I don't want to hear that!!

Bottom line:  if you want the pizza, you should get the pizza!!!  :p

Guest baldy

Snott, don't take this question wrong but I really do wonder: If you dislike the whole IM gripper system that badly, why do you carry on with your certification? If you really stand behind your protest, ask them politely not to feature you in MILO and remove your name from the COC list. Conscientiously (sp?) object, so to speak. Your protest would carry a lot more meaning that way.

However, if you continue with your certification and IM puts your ugly mug in MILO, then I think that at that point they have done you a favor. Then you would be stabbing them in the back by belittling their product. IM's grippers are not perfect. Neither are PDA's, or WW's, or anyone elses. I am sure that the Ivanko Supergripper differs from spring to spring, that is just the nature of the steel. No company can sell us a gripper through the mail that will be a perfect fit every time, it is still a guessing game. Most people who have tried to get an intermediate gripper between a #2 and #3 on here have failed on the first try.

Anyway, I would like to hear your answer. This is a serious question, I am not trying to start a flame war or name calling or anything of that nature. It just confuses me why you would still want to be certified if you really feel this way.

Hmmm .... 'perfect gripper' is an oxymoron, especially in the context used (between a highly variable, inconsistent, morphing X and a highly variable, inconsistent, morphing Y).

As Wannagrip says, don't be mislead by the labels. After all, nobody but nobody adds the expense of taking an extra manufacturing step without a reason. There are endless unimportant possibilities for the double stamping including:

1. To indicate a new fabricator.

2. To indicate a new spring supplier/model.

3. To implement one step in quality control. (Gripper handles must be bored to fit the specific spring diameters properly. Glueing can mask the problem of inserting a 3 handle on a 2 wire. When you make handles by the hundreds for later assembly, they can get mixed up. Pre-marking both grips could help otherwise inadequate control.)

3. To create hub-bub.

4. To defuse the realization that model numbers are invalid comparisons by muddying the water even more.

5. To generate more sales on the basis of, 'Got to try something new.'

6. On and on.

'Knowing' the details about the grippers you have is possible within limits. 'Knowing' one of your grippers is more difficult than another (without necessarily knowing exactly why) is within the grasp of everyone. Self-determined, discrete incremental training using grippers is unrealistic because of the expense. Moving on your goal (upward) remains the key, no?

John

baldy,

I don't see the correlation between getting certified and questioning a product sold by IronMind.  It would be like comparing oranges to apples.  That and the gripper I certified with was beyond the suggested IP range IronMind says it is.

Actually, IronMind states that their "benchmark" grippers (the #3 & #4) are pretty much even (in terms of IP; a #3 is just like a #3, etc.).  Oh really??  How do you explain a 50 pound difference between two grippers bought at exactly the same time; (seasoned and calibrated by PDA)?  A 10 pound difference I can understand.  20, sure.  30, o.k., BUT 50??  Nope.

It burns my cheese that some guy gets a #3 that's probably IP-rated at 300 or so, and gets certified.  Is that fair?

Would it be fair if another guy happens to get a #3 well above 400 IP? - like maybe 430 or above?  He couldn't close it, and could close that other guys' 300 IP-rated #3 with ease.  Again, not fair.

I think I've explained myself clearly on this subject.  :)

Guest StrongerthanArne

Sybersnott,

You explained yourself in a way that make little sence considering the fact that many of us have pointed out that ip ratings are unreliable as indicators of how difficult a gripper is to close.

John,

As suggested by Wannagrip, IronMind's double stamped grippers seem to be of a higher quality than before and I would definitely rank them as the best built grippers on the market.

Arne,

You're correct, but until there is another way of comparing grippers against each other instead of just cosmetic differences....

Please Sybersnott, His name is Mikael Siversson. Not Arne. We are two very different persons.

Arne Persson

Sorry about that.... I meant Mikael.  Sorry Arne!