Standing Wrist Roller - Economic Version

TelegraphKey

BNS Wrist-Roller Strap, about $30, demonstrated

Scroll down to see the guys wrist-rolling 90 to 180 lbs of 2-4 45lb Olympic plates!!!

Wouldn't this strap serve just as well as any standing wrist roller machine?

Plus, you can automatically make the wrist roller as thick or thin as you want, limited only by the barbells or pipes you have lying around.

I have a version of this strap, from APT Powerstraps, and I use it on the Smith Machine of my local gym. A Smith Machine is perfect. It's nice to finally have a use for a stinking Smith Machine! :D I just set the bar at about shoulder height, put on the strap, hook weights to the strap, and wrist-roll it up.

It's stabilized, just as on a Wrist-Roller Machine; but I can vary the height as I want. I set mine at about 5' or shoulder height. This means I get to roll the weights up about 4 feet, with absolutely no shoulder work involved at all.

If you have access to a Smith Machine, or a squat rack with adjustable pins, you put some plates on the other end to counterbalance the weight, and loop the strap over the other end's sleeve. Or you can even loop it over the center of the barbell. You can thus vary the wrist roller thickness from 2" without any knurling (smooth), to 1" with knurling, etc., instantly.

This totally seems to have many advantages over a Standing Wrist Roller Machine. It's a strap, weighing just a few ounces, so it's portable, and shipping costs are almost nothing. It's completely variable in bar thickness, depending on whatever bars you can get access to. And it's completely variable in height, depending on your access to spotting racks.

And it's about $30.

Edited by TelegraphKey

Looks really nice. I can already see the D-I-Y crowd drooling over this one.

John Scribner

John - I've been able to do that with a piece of climbing cord or webbing and a "timber hitch" for years. :D

Chris- I figured so. Just being obtuse so as not to violate any rules. :whistel I have my 2" PVC pipe, climbing rope and carabiner.

John Scribner

Yes, I paid more money than you guys :bow for something that could be made for $5. That's still a bit better than $100 plus maybe $50 for shipping.

BTW I am not a shill for BNS or anyone else. I just like to tout things I think are good.

TelegraphKey-

Please don't misunderstand my post. I wasn't saying it was overpriced or gloating about using my cheapo wrist roller (which has it's own inherent limitations), or even accusing you of being a shill for the manufacturer. It seems like a well-designed, sturdy simple piece of equipment. And I don't think 30.00 is out of line given the prices we are seeing for most of the grip- and strength-training equipment out there for sale right now. Just that many of the 'Board members are inveterate copiers and D-I-Y types. Recently we were asked politely not to discuss making clones of equipment out there for sale, and I was trying to stay within those boundries. Nada mas. Enjoy your training tool, and post a picture or two when you are cranking up those double 45's!

John Scribner

j.scribner, Thank you for pointing that out to me. I really hope I didn't break any gripboard guidelines myself.

I must say, everytime I've used this since I got it 2 weeks ago, I've had killer forearm pumps! And yes I actually do use the 2-45's, but hardpressed to do anymore than that.

(I don't have access to a digital camera, but I probably could get one someday. I hope guys don't think I'm b.s.-ing my way about everything. I know "gym lifts" don't really count, especially for telling people stats in public, but I know I don't lie about my own lifts, at least partly because I usually don't have anyone to talk to much about lifting, so I'm not really in the habit of making-up fish stories! But I'll try to come up with some video proof of things before I state anymore claims in public about anything.)

TelegraphKey- I don't see any rules that you broke. Generic equipment is OK, Bill just politely asked that people don't post "how-to" instructions on making specific equipment that has been developed by companies who have made significant investments in materials, tooling, R&D, marketing, etc. That doesn't keep us here from experimenting, and a lot of good grip-training equipment is remarkably simple. Welcome to the 'Board. I've met a lot of really nice guys here.

John Scribner

John, Thanks. I agree, there are a lot of really nice guys around here. And thanks for pointing out the specifics. I thought I had read the rules & I thought I was okay, but thanks for confirming that.

Jim

For about the same price New york barbells has a wrist roller you put through a pin in a power rack.I have this one and have used 250lbs on it with no problems.

For about the same price New york barbells has a wrist roller you put through a pin in a power rack.I have this one and have used 250lbs on it with no problems.

Or take 2" PVC pipe, cut a 10" section, drill a hole, snake a rope through, fit it over the rack pin, & do the same. Maybe $6.

250 lbs, eh? Is that to shoulder height? I would guess that your wrist roller with your equipment can't be very different from what I'm using.

So what are some feats in Wrist Roller strength, using various thickness wrist rollgers?