Question

Guest rockblaster

Guest rockblaster

I know this is off the subject but I am writing this because I know that some of the members here do squats and you all tell it like it is.  My question is this:  How can I get motivated to squat again?    Currently, I squat for about a month and then take a week off from them only.  I find that doing them every week really breaks me down neurologically.  I do other things such as leg curls and lunges but I don't feel this compensates for squatting.  Can any of you heavier squatters offer any sample regimen for the legs.   ???

Squats are hard.  That is why most power cages in commercial gyms sit empty.

The only advice I have is get in there, suck it up, and do it.  It is going to hurt-

Rick Walker :hehe

Guest rockblaster

Thanks for the advice, Rick.

You're right.  However, should I squat lighter, with more reps when my body tells me to? By the day, what is your squat range?

Blaster,try doing deadlifts instead of squats every other work out,whether they be sumo deads or straight leg deads,use the same weight as on your squats as you can lift more with deads! I find that this helps me when I start burning out on squats.

Good luck,

JJ

I once got into an argument online with some jay-bird legged wimp who said that he loved squats. I quipped that he must not be training heavy enough. He spewed forth a laundry list of exercises categorized by day of the week and by body part. I found it significant that he offered to put his WORKOUT against anybody. That is, he did not challenge anyone based on strength, quickness, endurance, pinning shut a hand dynomometer, or anything athletic but rather his workout. I guess at the end of the workout everbody measures the volume of sweat that dripped into their bucket. I digress.

Doing the same exercises over and over can get boring. Select a few squat variants and work them into your routine. Do some partial reps from parallel or slightly above parallel. Quarter squats and walk outs are all but useless since so much weight is required to make the exercise useful. Keep a training journal.

Rick is right. Except that the racks and cage are not always empty but occupied by bicep fanatics who apparently lack the back strength to lift their curling weight from the floor.

i love squats for the size and strength gains they have given me, but when i'm in the bottom position on that last grinding rep all i want to do is get it over with.  squats are hard, as they should be, nothing worthwhile ever came easy.  these guys are right, just work them hard and often, concentrate on perfect form and adding weight to the bar, and in a few months when you're noticing yourself being bigger and stronger you'll fall in love all over again

A) do them first

B) do them on their own - ie: squat day

C) do them before the weekend - that way you rest for 2 days

D) do them because of what they give you  - benefits wise

or if after all that you still pussy out

E) deadlifts as suggested

F) Leg press or work legs until you feel 'iffy' - its never ever gonna come from leg extensions or adduction work.

or

g) Buy a (I've forgotten what there called - one of the PDA in the US / Watson here in the UK frames - you stand inside and lift it like a deadlift but they're more like squats)

how many days a week are you lifting? if you do alot of lifting, climbing, cardio, grip work your body will burn out quickly.

in squats, don't do too much volume or weight every week. it's good to go real heavy or do lots of reps or sets but you just can't do it every week. if you go heavy one week, go lighter the next and try for more reps. also you can try including full squats(or parrallel if you do full) and front squats once a month.

by the way, what bothers you most? back, legs, hips or whole body? each of these can make a difference.

Blaster,there is a thread in Garage gym happening right now called "Why Deadlift", very interesting, check it out, might help with some of your questions!

I'm doing squats too.

Question:  should I have a "Squats only" day, and a "Gripwork only" day?  I do my grip work after the squats, but have little energy left to do it.

that's a tough question to answer snott.  i squat one day, and deadlift the other and i prefer to do my grip work on the same day.  i know some people prefer to do them on different days though.  all i can tell you is give it a shot and see what you think.  give it an honest go for about 3 weeks or so, if your body likes it you'll know.

rockblaster-

to answer your question from my earlier post:  I don't think anyone would benefit from "light" squats.  

Squats are such a pain in the butt, why do them if you are just going through the motions?  I wouldn't waste my time.

If I don't fell like squatting, I will leg press for high reps with HEAVY weight.

If you are going to squat, pile on the weight and do butt-on-heels, low rep squats.  Bodybuilders can take their high reps squats, I have gotten 30+ inch thighs from doing no more then 3 reps a set, EVER!

Good luck to you-

Rick Walker :hehe

Guest rockblaster

Hey guys,

Thanks for your input.   Although squats are hard enough as it is, I figured that supersetting squats with lunges, etc. will both break the monotony and blast the legs as well.  I did lunge walks the other day with a couple of 100 pounder dumbells and my legs were really throbbing.   I used dumbells for the lunge walks so I can also work the grip and other muscles that are used in the Farmer's Walk.  By the way, I normally do deadlifts (in the rack-slow going both up and back down) on squat days because by the time I finish squatting, my back is already warmed up.  It is very hard for me wo get warmed up to deadlift on other days but I will do them on other days if I have to.

Guest baldy

Steve, are you referring to a trap bar deadlift?

Rick, I am with you on your squat-rep mentality. Watch Olympic caliber weightlifters, a triple is considered "high reps".

As for when to squat / grip, that seems to be an individual thing. I have been experimenting with this, and have recorded some of it in my online training log.

Guest rockblaster

I  like the idea of partial squats.  If anything, they will get you used to handling much more weight and shock the whole body into growth.  I never did them because I felt that form was what I needed to work on but this will be a switch and a stepping stone to progress.

Rick,

When you refer to butt-on-heels squats, are you talking about "full" squats?  C'mon man, the parallel squats I'm doing now are just about friggin' KILLIN' me.... if I go lower than that, I can't get out of it (I train alone; no spotters to help).  

Another thing, I can slap on about 20 pounds of weights every time I do a squat workout.  Is this good, bad or what??  ???

I'm going to do the squats three times a week (Mon., Wed., Fri.), and the grip work twice a week (Tues. and Thurs.).  I am now squatting without any pain felt whatsoever the next day.  Is this good, or am I not working hard enough??  Please advise me.... thanks!!  :)