Question For The Red Nail Benders

Soilworker

I have searched and looked on the Ironmind website with no answer to this question. This is something a lot of you probably don't do.

When you cert with the Ironmind blue pads, are you allowed to cut them down? I just got mine today and they are about 5 times as big as what I normally use to bend with. In short, they are HUGE! I was wondering if I cut them in half at least can I do the cert that way?

lolol? u want to cut ims in half, your crazy.

if you want to cut them in half just buy an extra pair for when u want to cert.

No, Porky, I mean, can I cert with the 1/2 or 1/3 pads or do I have to use the full ones. It is hard to bend with that much damn padding......

the rules are the rules, and they are real anal about them.

My advice to you if you are bending with 1/3 or ironmind pads, is to buy some decent leather pads, you will never bend a red with 4" pads, without breaking your fingers.

So you can't cut them. Ok, that answers that question.

you will never bend a red with 4" pads, without breaking your fingers.

I disagree; but I do not bend nails the same way as most of you guys are doing. I have heard the way I bend described as "reverse" style, but it is really double overhand with one of my hands turned halfway......hard to describe. What I mean is my hands are asymetrical and not up at the chest/neck.

Thanks for the help on the question, I guess I will just have to learn to use thick pads. We get to chalk the pads right? Those things are kind of slippery too.

I remember thinking they were thick when I first got mine, used only one. Then started using two, folding each in half. Now I fold em in thirds, and heck, I'd rather use my suede. I'd like to see how you are bending them, and what level you are at. I think the closer in on the nail you are and the more strictly on the wrists you keep it, the less padding you need. Using reverse I need much less padding than double over, but my pr with reverse is 5.5" grade 8 and with do is 6.5" red.

Fold them.

-Sean

So you can't cut them. Ok, that answers that question.

you will never bend a red with 4" pads, without breaking your fingers.

I disagree; but I do not bend nails the same way as most of you guys are doing. I have heard the way I bend described as "reverse" style, but it is really double overhand with one of my hands turned halfway......hard to describe. What I mean is my hands are asymetrical and not up at the chest/neck.

Thanks for the help on the question, I guess I will just have to learn to use thick pads. We get to chalk the pads right? Those things are kind of slippery too.

Just play around with diffrent styles of bending and find which your best at, and same with pads.

1/3 of a ironmind bad is nothing, and is basicly bending barhanded.

Just play around with diffrent styles of bending and find which your best at, and same with pads.

1/3 of a ironmind bad is nothing, and is basicly bending barhanded.

I am definitely the strongest in my own hybrid style. I can only bend a Blue nail DU, and I can't bend a Yellow DO.

My first bends that I ever did were barehand; FBBC stock actually. If the human hand tissue was tougher I would bend every thing barehanded. Unfortunately (or fortunately :) ) that is just not possible. I think anything above a Yellow nail would either punch through your hand or cause nerve damage. I actually prefer as little padding as possible; I feel that it gives me the most power and control over the bend. I was just surprised at how big the IM pads were. I had heard from everyone that they were either small and/or thin, and it turns out they are about 5 time more than what I use now. Seems like people usually have the opposite problem! Oh well, I will just have to adapt.

My first bends that I ever did were barehand; FBBC stock actually. If the human hand tissue was tougher I would bend every thing barehanded. Unfortunately (or fortunately :) ) that is just not possible. I think anything above a Yellow nail would either punch through your hand or cause nerve damage. I actually prefer as little padding as possible; I feel that it gives me the most power and control over the bend. I was just surprised at how big the IM pads were. I had heard from everyone that they were either small and/or thin, and it turns out they are about 5 time more than what I use now. Seems like people usually have the opposite problem! Oh well, I will just have to adapt.

I went from my first thin piece of suede that I got at a craft store and when I got the IM pads they were much larger more comfy padding wise aside from them grabbing my skin and tearing it off. I like the "feel" of the nail when I bend, for some reason I think I am stronger when I do it like that.

I think your hands can become desensitized very quickly so that bending with thinner pads doesnt hurt at all. I bend 60d's with one 1/2 of my leather wrap rolled the opposite direction and it doesnt bother my hands excpet sometims when the point catches me weird, usually because I'm too lazy to wrap, unwrap, wrap, unwrap for a high volume session.

I would strongly recommend that you ask Randy Strossen directly about your question. Anything else is just someone's opinion.

The rules say a pair of IronMind pads. If you cut them, that makes them modified, even though it would be more difficult.

Just as a cut Red is modified. Do a 7" per the rules then take the bolt cutters to the other two.

Like Clay said, talk to Randy.

I have searched and looked on the Ironmind website with no answer to this question. This is something a lot of you probably don't do.

When you cert with the Ironmind blue pads, are you allowed to cut them down? I just got mine today and they are about 5 times as big as what I normally use to bend with. In short, they are HUGE! I was wondering if I cut them in half at least can I do the cert that way?

i would cut them down but leave the ironmind tag showing fold them and use them to bend with i dont think anyone will notice they are cut less = harder to me

i would cut them down but leave the ironmind tag showing fold them and use them to bend with i dont think anyone will notice they are cut less = harder to me

Well, I don't want to actively deceive people, even if it's because they just don't notice.....

I will take Clay's advice and email the man in charge.

Well, I don't want to actively deceive people, even if it's because they just don't notice.....

i dont think its deceiving people ironmind made the pads so it gives you the minimal amount of pad just enough to bend with less pad should not matter if you could bend it with your fingers they would pass it as a bend :whacked

If you want to cert, they wont let you cut them. Regaurdless is its harder.

Ben crush wanted to no set his number 3, which is harder then credit card, they didnt let him...

If your just messing around with nails and dont really care about certing, and you would like to cut them smaller, it wouldnt discredit you, because your making it harder for yourself.

That's really dumb that they wouldn't let Ben no set on his cert. I suppose he could just put the gripper in his hand without a set, and then wave the card around inside the handles, and then close it no set.

That's really dumb that they wouldn't let Ben no set on his cert. I suppose he could just put the gripper in his hand without a set, and then wave the card around inside the handles, and then close it no set.

It's true they didn't allow that, but they are just following the rules at the time to the letter. They did however give him a little write-up after he preformed the feat with either hand.