Im Hip Squat Belt

watzd411

Hello Gripsters,

Once again I am on the hunt for the next toy. Yes thats right, its toy time ;)))

Have any of you had experience with the IM Hip Squat Belt? I do front, back and zercher squats and love them with all my heart, so the possibility of doing another form of squat is really appealing to me. To be honest that is why I am getting into stone lifting, the opportunity to engage in another type of squatting. Anyways back to the IM hip squat belt.......

Any feedback would be great

Rydini Of The Shire

I got mine about three years ago after I suffered a back injury at work. During rehab I was instructed not to do any conventional squats with anything heavier than 135 lbs. I didn't accept this so I purchased a hip belt from IronMind and I have to say it saved my legs. My opinion is that you can get the same results as

a conventional back squat workout using half the weight on a hip belt. It has a completely different feel to it. I use it for squats, weighted pullups and even calf

raises. There is absolutely NO strain on your lower back whatsoever and if you

use raised platforms or boxes like I do, you can get ass to the grass squats that

will really torch your quads. I love my hip belt. Hope this helps!

Edited by tomricci

I got mine about three years ago after I suffered a back injury at work. During rehab I was instructed not to do any conventional squats with anything heavier than 135 lbs. I didn't accept this so I purchased a hip belt from IronMind and I have to say it saved my legs. My opinion is that you can get the same results as

a conventional back squat workout using half the weight on a hip belt. It has a completely different feel to it. I use it for squats, weighted pullups and even calf

raises. There is absolutely NO strain on your lower back whatsoever and if you

use raised platforms or boxes like I do, you can get ass to the grass squats that

will really torch your quads. I love my hip belt. Hope this helps!

My friend you have added fuel to this fire!!! i dont understand how using the belt you use less weight though?!?!?!? I expected that more would be required.

HMMmmmmm

Ok I want one now really really badly.

Thanks Tom, happy training

Rydini of the shire

I'm interested in getting one both to do shoulder-less squats and also possibly to use as a belt-harness for Sled-Dragging. Would it make a decent strap for Sled-Dragging? I know the straps are plenty strong enough. I mean, is the angle etc. of the IM Hip Belt good enough for Sled Dragging?

I'm interested in getting one both to do shoulder-less squats and also possibly to use as a belt-harness for Sled-Dragging.  Would it make a decent strap for Sled-Dragging?  I know the straps are plenty strong enough.  I mean, is the angle etc. of the IM Hip Belt good enough for Sled Dragging?

From what I can see I doubt it would be the most comfortable thing for sledge dragging.....however I havent tried so its just my opinion. I reckon a proper car pull harness is the way forward!! I think that the belt would make it pretty awkward to pull something as it is below the centre of gravity. Interested to see what others think.

The car pull harness is what I really really want..................but thats another story

While it seems most sled dragging is done with a strap coming from the shoulders/chest area, I have seen suggestions that it could be done with straps from belts. Particularly for backwards sled-dragging. Walking forward, with strap & sled behind, works the quads; but turning around & walking backward hits the hamstrings. Especially for backwards dragging, I think a belt might be optimal.

Another thing: If you don't already own IM's Daisy Chains or the Large Carabiners, which if ordered separately cost $27, it's probably worth it just to get these babies alone, to order the SS Hip Belt. I already own a pair of Daisy Chains & 2 carabiners, but I wouldn't mind having another set of each.

Edited by TelegraphKey

It doesn't seem to make sense that you would use less weight and get the same level of intensity but in real world training, this is what happens. In the instructions

that come with the belt, it mentions this. If you are going to use risers or a platform with the hip belt you should have something to hold on because the weight will pull you right to the ground. I back squat over 400 lbs fairly regularly

and I use a belt and knee wraps but using the hip belt removes the necessity for

knee wraps. It just doesn't put the same type of strain on the knees that conventional squatting does. I'll dig up a picture of the setup I use and post it.

I built these boxes specifically for this exercise, I usually superset the belt squats

with back squats for 3 or 4 sets then finish off with a heavy set of back squats.

This is a killer workout!

Edited by tomricci

I could never get the hip belt to feel quite right and adjusted correctly.So i put it up.Maybe i was useing it the wrong way.

I like the idea for a chin and calve belt though.

Here is the setup

My Webpage

Hey Tom,

Right I can now see the piccie, had to join up with the site. Thanks for the info. Just out of curiousity, do you find that the belt pulls you onto your toes as I could see that you were on the balls of your feet in this piccie?

Rydini of the shire

There are 2 X 4's attached to the rear of the boxes so you can elevate your heels as I am doing in this picture. There is enough room to do them flat footed as well.

i always thought that they would pull the knee inward but I have never tried one so I don't know

Should have worded it as a question.

Does it pull the knees inwards?

I'm not sure I see why it might pull the knees inward? I saw a picture of Magnus Samuellson using the Hip Belt in the 2004 IronMind catalog (looks like he's "only" using maybe 400 lbs, too, surely less weight than he uses on back squats, so perhaps the Hip Belt really does tax you for less weight). It didn't look like his knees were going inward.

The weight you feel would be felt right around your midsection; your legs would be pulling it up. Why would this make the knees drift inward, assuming your knees, inner legs muscles, etc. are strong enough not to go in during a back squat?

Your knees are very stable, there is a lot less strain on them as well. I can't say

enough about this exercise. My best guess is since it is so difficult to do with a lot

of weight, some lifter's egos will not allow them to use a lighter weight to obtain

good results. I'm going to be doing these on Saturday and for a change of pace,

I'll be turning the boxes around and putting my toes up on the blocks. I tested this

variation tonight using no weight and it seems viable. I will report back afterwards.

I have one as well - I had to spend a little time figuring out how to set it up for easy use. Once I figured that out, I really like the movement. I do it with just a loading pin and using an EZ curl bar - there's a different feel between the two. I've found it lets me hit my legs in a different manner than squats and allows both squats and lower back work without overworking either. It's also better for dips and chins than hanging the weight on a lifting belt.

i dont like my hip squat belt, it's cool for hip lifts.. but i like doing breathing squats with barbell instead of hip squat belt.. it's good for pullups/dips though, kind of weird hooking weight up to the side rings instead of down the middle.

I really like mine. Allthough I don´t use it in the way it was described in the manual(using a barbell). I use a loading pin and only attach it to the front, and I stand on blocks to get more range of motion.

With back squats I mostly got a great workout in the hips and back. With the belt it´s pure leg work.

As a chin and dip belt, it has to be the most comfortable thing in the world.

Gave up trying to do the squats the way the manual says, but I might try them in front with a loading pin.

Not the most cost effective piece of equipment, but it feels absolutely beautiful.

I like them. I got the hip belt after a back injury (from regular squats!). At first I elevated my heels but this wrecked my (already bad) knees even worse than regular squats. Flatfooted and rock-bottom, the hip belt is easier on my knees.

I found the OLY bar too long and awkward. I use an ez-curl bar, 2 sturdy chairs as a loading platform, and squat in a doorway (flatfooted) so I can hold on for balance (not assistance) at the bottom. Holding on to something is almost a necessity if you do them with a barbell and don't elevate the heels (I haven't tried a loading pin?). I don't recommend elevating the heels--this wrecked my knees in only a few workouts (should have stopped after the first workout!), and I still regret ever doing this!

I too am surprised that they allow so much less weight, and still haven't quite figured this out. They will humble you. After some consistent training, I worked up to 180X5 on the hip-belt. On full back squats I've done 365X5.

They are awesome for high-rep breathing squats, as your back won't give out (they are much safer for these also).

Not as good "all-around" as back squats, but the hip-belt is the best quadricep exercise there is IMO!

I still remember the funny looks I used to get doing these in the gym (and then pinching plates between sets, that was the greatest)!

A few things I forgot:

The belt from IM is very comfortable and well-made. But it is expensive. I got it because I can't safely do squats! Otherwise maybe not worth the investment depending on your goals. Lately I couldn't care less about "quad mass" and am not using it. Just focusing on DL's. On the other hand, if you like to squat it's great for the "no-power-rack" home gym.

The movement is a bit awkward initially, so don't give up after the first try.

And think carefully about what size you want. I've dropped around 30 lbs. since I ordered mine--it still works but it's quite "loose" now.